[PS3] God of War III Pre-Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen this.

That's the way it's been done since like forever. Definately SSAO > no realtime AO.

Those look like regular poing lights :???: Also, U2 does have proper GI, even if it's just static (though affects dynamic objects).

Well, I don't know about the soft body physics, but when it comes to scale U2 has some very nice vistas. Also, apparently (according to the responses I got on the tech forum) a large moving level doesn't seem like a big deal. Let's also consider texture resolution and variety, both strong points in U2, not so much in GoW3. Oh, and the sub surface scattering as well :p
Check out the making of Chimera video at 7:24-7:30 mark for sunshaft. The light on the ground is clearly bounced onto the left side of wall, again you have to see this in motion duh! I would also argue GOW3 has its own share of texture marvel, check out the fingerprints on Titan Atlas, Kratos' face and the CGI like Hades. I'd say it's a toss up between the two. SSS is awesome but so is realtime muscle blending on the spartan. tech wise, I have yet to see anything in UC2 that tops Gaia and the Leviathan, bear in mind everything is all just from a 60second clip too.

The light on the ground is clearly bounced onto the left side of wall, again you have to see this in motion duh!
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ces-10-god-of-war/60509

As you can see there, there's no GI. It's just point lights coming from Kratos's weapons.

I would also argue GOW3 has its own share of texture marvel, check out the fingerprints on Titan Atlas, Kratos' face and the CGI like Hades.
Considering those three are main characters, it's expected that they use good textures. Environment wise, they're very average.

I'd say it's a toss up between the two. SSS is awesome but so is realtime muscle blending on the spartan. tech wise, I have yet to see anything in UC2 that tops Gaia and the Leviathan, bear in mind everything is all just from a 60second clip too.
Take that level for example. Lighting is OK and the textures are quite average.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ces-10-god-of-war/60509

As you can see there, there's no GI. It's just point lights coming from Kratos's weapons.

Considering those three are main characters, it's expected that they use good textures. Environment wise, they're very average.

Take that level for example. Lighting is OK and the textures are quite average.
Er, no. Kratos' blades aren't glowing yet when it's already bounced up. The environmental textures are pretty high res through out only some lower res ones were present, it's all about choosing where to look though. But really, to each his own.

Is it even fair to compare UC2 and GoW3, especially considering GoW is a game that always controls what you see (fixed camera)?

Is it even fair to compare UC2 and GoW3, especially considering GoW is a game that always controls what you see (fixed camera)?
Fixed camera has its own advantages, more information and details can be shown on the screen by controlling the field of view hence the scale. It can also be more cinematic so you get maximum visual impact. But yes, its downsides are self ex planetary so it's all down to preferences.

There's no GI on GOW3. Just lots of point lights which cast speualr too. And the pic u r showing for AO has no AO in it. I don't understand why you have put that pic as an example for Ambient Occlusion when all it shows is a point light for Kratos's blades. Same for the water horse pics. IT has Kratos's blades's Lghts falling on the face n teeth of the Water Horse. No GI there.
Either you are confused about GI and AO, or I am missing something right in front of my eyes.

I have baked AO maps several times in Maya on characters so I don't think I'm confused but I ain't no expert either. From what I could see it's present:
15qanh3.jpg

As for GI, here's a before and after comparison. But if I'm indeed wrong, could you explain it to me how would it look like if it has GI.
dotgnl.jpg

Would the AO and GI experts please shed some light?

If I remember correctly they do use Bëast to render lightmaps and lightprobes so having 'GI' and AO is not strange.

Oh ! I was thinking of realtime AO n GI ! whats so great about baked AO n GI ? It all gets baked into textures.
STALKER devs had implemented a realtime GI solution which could be turned on using console commands, KZ2 devs had pointed out that they have a working GI but not yet optimised to be put into KZ2. We might see it in KZ3. And the latesr Cryengine has realtime GI, dunno if it will appear in the console versions though.

Whats so great about baked GI ? :rolleyes: Mirrors Edge is full of it, and so are innumerable other games.

Whats so great about baked GI ? Mirrors Edge is full of it, and so are innumerable other games.
I never said it's awesome on its own now did I? It's all about a combination of things on top of the scale that makes the game such a tech powerhouse. Put realtime GI and AO in quake 3 and there, you're satisfied.

I never said it's awesome on its own now did I? It's all about a combination of things on top of the scale that makes the game such a tech powerhouse. Put realtime GI and AO in quake 3 and there, you're satisfied.

Sorry, Dude! I didn't mean to be rude :smile:! I was just thinking that its realtime GI u were talking about as you posted a very dynamic shot of Kratos in mid air over the Horse. When the concept came down to baked GI, I felt let down. Thats all ;) !

Anyways the shot u posted above shows more of Post processing and bloom than GI on and OFF to me. Maybe I am watching this on a tiny Ipod Touch screen is the reason I can't see it, but , seriously I can't see any bounced light in that shot either.:???:

As for GI, here's a before and after comparison. But if I'm indeed wrong, could you explain it to me how would it look like if it has GI.
http://i49.tinypic.com/dotgnl.jpg
Would the AO and GI experts please shed some light?
Once more, that light is coming from Kratos's blades...
http://i50.tinypic.com/2rqd090.gif

Yeah but baked GI and AO are not technologically impressive whatsoever. They're just pretty textures. And that's been done since at least last gen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back