Latest Star Trek trailer now available

Babel-17

Veteran
downloaded the 1080p mp4. 159.02 MB, nice quality.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 159 MiB
Duration : 2mn 11s
Overall bit rate : 10.2 Mbps
Movie name : Star Trek
Movie name/More : In theaters 2008
Encoded date : UTC 2008-11-17 14:16:32
Tagged date : UTC 2008-11-17 14:16:40
Copyright : © 2008 Paramount Pictures. All Rights Reserved
Comment : Encoded and delivered by apple.com/trailers/

Video
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 10.1 Mbps
Width : 1920 pixels
Height : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.400
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.219
Stream size : 157 MiB (99%)
Encoded date : UTC 2008-11-14 16:36:32

Audio
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 98.7 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 96.0 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 1.54 MiB (1%)
Encoded date : UTC 2008-11-14 16:36:33

Can't wait to see it! The whole movie I mean :)
The only Star Trek I didn't like that much was Deep Space Nine, well some of the movies aren't that good, but I have high hopes for this new one. And Sylar makes a great Spock!

The new Kirk movie, also with Spock ... that's what I took away from the trailer.

Yeah, I got a similar impression. I can't wait to see the film but I fear it may have strayed way too far from "traditional trek" for me to really love it. The amount of action and, er.. sex, in the trailer does make me worry.

Of course those things will likley make it a better film for none trek fans but if I wanted another action movie, I would go and watch Transformers (which I did!)

Dr Evil: yeah I agree that Sylar is perfect for the role of Spock. Not too sure about Kirk or any of the others yet though.

Oh, and DS9 was the best series :p ;)

Lets face it, Trek did need someone to give it a good kicking up the arse:

pvp20081118.gif

When will high def trailers have surround sound in them? It's nearly 2009, it's not like it requires alot more bandwidth if they use 5.1 AAC or even AC3 (384kb/s).

I always kind of hated how Star Trek became more and more action and less and less sci-fi. DS9 and Voyager were complete trash. Next Generation was the only one that really captured the spirit of the original series. The series and the universe were ruined by catering to the losers that obsessed over erotic fan-fiction and the people that learned the Klingon language.

All that said, I actually think this new movie looks really fucking cool. It betrays the series by turning it into a popcorn action flick, but when a trailer works, it really works. And I think the uniforms are pretty awesome.

I always kind of hated how Star Trek became more and more action and less and less sci-fi. DS9 and Voyager were complete trash.

I agree with everything apart from the DS9 bit which I strongly disagree with.

DS9 wasn't traditional trek like TOS and TNG but nor was it remotely in the same vien as Voyager or Enterprise by tring to rely of action and sex to entertain the audience. I would argue that DS9 had more depth and quality of story telling than any other trek series, with characters to match.

There was a lot more action than previous series as well, but when it was used, it was used well and always serverd a purpose, unlike later series which simply put it in there for the sake of adding a bit more eye candy to the screen. An episode of Voyager that actually didn't feature a ship to ship fight was a rare thing!

That said, I did enjoy Voyager despite its short falls in comparison to the others. Enterprise on the other hand... ugh!

I always remember DS9 for having simply the worst finale... ever! Whoever penned that final episode deserves to be shot.

Must say though, I didn't mind either DS9 or Voyager too much. Not seen enough of Enterprise to make a judgment on that - I caught about the first half of the first series and didn't think it was too bad - it certainly seemed to try and inject a bit more humour into proceedings.

I always remember DS9 for having simply the worst finale... ever! Whoever penned that final episode deserves to be shot.

Must say though, I didn't mind either DS9 or Voyager too much. Not seen enough of Enterprise to make a judgment on that - I caught about the first half of the first series and didn't think it was too bad - it certainly seemed to try and inject a bit more humour into proceedings.

I thought the DS9 final was excellent, possible the best Trek finale of all with the possible exception of All Good Things. I actually turned 2 people into DS9 fans of the back of that episode alone!

Now if you want a bad.... terrible finale, take a look at Enterprise! They were so disatisfied with the series itself that they turned the finale into an episode of The Next Generation!

I agree with everything apart from the DS9 bit which I strongly disagree with.

DS9 wasn't traditional trek like TOS and TNG but nor was it remotely in the same vien as Voyager or Enterprise by tring to rely of action and sex to entertain the audience. I would argue that DS9 had more depth and quality of story telling than any other trek series, with characters to match.

DS9 had some great moments. My problem with it is how it ran from Roddenberry's 'happy happy humanity', which was one of the most interesting parts of Star Trek. The Maquis, UFP now with black ops etc. It was very Babylon 5 by the end of it, though I did like DS9 more than B5 by the end, B5 just grated on me. This is why I liked the episodes that focused on the alien species more, particularly the Klingons (:love: Worf). Also, it was sorta cheap that the Dominion was defeated essentially by a Deus Ex Machina -- though I suppose it's the only solution when you present an antagonist that is better than you in every way.

Also, it was sorta cheap that the Dominion was defeated essentially by a Deus Ex Machina -- though I suppose it's the only solution when you present an antagonist that is better than you in every way.

I think that applies for the re-taking of DS9 (the station) where the Prophets made that Dominion fleet dissapear. However I wouldn;t say it applies for the final defeat in terms of the Cardassians turning against the Dominion. That was something that had started building up a long time before and formed a core part of the story IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that applies for the re-taking of DS9 (the station) where the Prophets made that Dominion fleet dissapear. However I wouldn;t say it applies for the final defeat in terms of the Cardassians turning against the Dominion. That was something that had started building up a long time before and formed a core part of the story IMO.

I was referring to the viral warfare that made the Founders surrender. Maybe Deus Ex Machina is a little too extreme, it was still out of left field.

I was referring to the viral warfare that made the Founders surrender. Maybe Deus Ex Machina is a little too extreme, it was still out of left field.

Yeah I kinda agree on that one. Although it was another one that was started way before the finale.

The way I look at that though is that it wasn;t the cause for the Dominions defeat in the end, it just brought about a quicker resolution to the war. The Fed alliance would have won anyway, just with much greater losses (as stated in the episode).

Personally, I would have preferred to see the fight to the death :D

The thing I always find amusing about various SF series is that, hundreds of years into the future, personal combat weapons (i.e. small arms) are actually less effective than current ones! Lasers/blasters/disruptors etc, which are slow-firing, low range, not particularly distructive, don't always kill in the first hit (I'll ignore 'stun' here). And why oh why does nobody use ranged weapons such as grenades in the future? No, it's always, duck behind polystyrene-looking rock, pop up, fire off a shot, duck down behind polystyrene-looking rock again. :p

Personally, I'd expect something of the order of a knife missile/drone from the Culture books would be more sensible but no, it's always some crappy raygun whose powerpack will inevitably be set to overload when an explosive force is required! ;)

The thing I always find amusing about various SF series is that, hundreds of years into the future, personal combat weapons (i.e. small arms) are actually less effective than current ones! Lasers/blasters/disruptors etc, which are slow-firing, low range, not particularly distructive, don't always kill in the first hit (I'll ignore 'stun' here). And why oh why does nobody use ranged weapons such as grenades in the future? No, it's always, duck behind polystyrene-looking rock, pop up, fire off a shot, duck down behind polystyrene-looking rock again. :p

Personally, I'd expect something of the order of a knife missile/drone from the Culture books would be more sensible but no, it's always some crappy raygun whose powerpack will inevitably be set to overload when an explosive force is required! ;)

Kind of true. Way to ruin it for me ;)

DS9 was a soap opera in space. I'm sure there were some good episodes, but it got away from exploring concepts, which is what good sci-fi is all about.

Edit: And what's with the serious lack of robots in Star Trek? I mean, you think they'd have robots everywhere. I'd definitely want a robot to clean my house.

Lol, can't argue with you on that!

The stupid thing is that we know they actually are insanely powerful because when we need a wall of 6ft granite vaporising, they do it no problem. But they always seem to forget to turn the weapons up a little when someone hides behind a plastic barrell :LOL:

Even more annoying is when ships fire on a planets surface from space. They're suposed to be able to fire torpedo's with explosive yiels to make a tactical nuke look like a party popper and yet whenever they fire on the surface of a planet (at least if we are observing from the planet) their shots are no better than grenade blasts!

The Borg trying to destroy the missile complex in first contact for example. Lol, so the BORGS most powerful ship based weapon is roughly equivilent to 1 grenade? :LOL: In reality, a single shot should have vaporised that facility and everything else within a 100 mile radius!

Back