Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

why? dark souls was released locked at 720p on the pc
A random fan created a "any res you want patch" for it within 24hours and thats without having the source code
720p PC Dark Souls wasn't the result of performance bottlenecks, though.

If a game is actually having problems getting above 720p on XBO, it's going to need restructuring beyond "change the framebuffer size" in order to get it functioning well at higher resolutions.

A random fan created a "any res you want patch" for it within 24hours and thats without having the source code
Wouldnt it require some form of optimization on a console?

The PC had performance to spare. If your PC was unable to render higher than 720p, it couldn't be patched to render at a higher resolution (unless you dropped quality). If XB1 is hardware limited to 720p with this current engine, it couldn't be simply patched to a different resolution. It'd have to be rewritten.

I thought the Xbox one had just enough ROPs and Esram to do 1080p? 6 months ago everyone said it was a plausible choice for Microsoft's console. I wonder what's the case with COD, every time i look at this game it sounds to me like it's just poorly optimized.

The funny thing is it's pretty much where I expected it to be for multi plat launch titles.
BF4 1 step down in resolution, although lacking decent AA which is what raised my eyebrow.
COD:G This was a surprise, but considering what I've seen of the visuals it's not the best looking game, so I'll put it down to engine/refactoring more than anything else.

So for launch multi plat titles it's only 1 out of the 2 that I'm seriously surprised at.
Considering COD is a massive franchise and it's disparity in resolution, I can understand the fall out though.

There's no such thing as "enough to do 1080p", you'd need a much closer definition of the workload.
A single 1080p frame could take days on a highend multicore PC system or it could be rendered by something like a TNT2 graphics card, depending on its contents.

As for the X1 having enough resources to render at 1080p with a reasonable level of detail, we'll have to wait and see. Forza 5 can obviously do this at 60fps, but it has no characters, very few effects and few active entities; FPS or open-world TPS games seem to be looked at more as benchmarks for rendering complex graphics. Also, both COD and BF4 aim for 60fps, halving the framerate would definitely help there, but it's unknown by how much (if it's an issue with the small size of the ESRAM).

In the end though, what matters more, prettier pixels at 900p that you wouldn't know if noone told you or 1080p but at an inferior quality?

BREAKING NEWS:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rqqa5o

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

This is probably the wrong thread to raise this question, but I will do it anyway and hope for an educated answer:

Given that Xbox One should be able to render different layers in different resolutions - what are the chances that the HUD is indeed native 1080p and that the rest of the game is upscaled from 720p? Is this something that is handled by the OS (i.e. game submits frames to two different outputs / interfaces and the OS merges them or is it something the developers will have to do on their own completely?).

This is probably the wrong thread to raise this question, but I will do it anyway and hope for an educated answer:

Given that Xbox One should be able to render different layers in different resolutions - what are the chances that the HUD is indeed native 1080p and that the rest of the game is upscaled from 720p? Is this something that is handled by the OS (i.e. game submits frames to two different outputs / interfaces and the OS merges them or is it something the developers will have to do on their own completely?).

Doesn't seem that outlandish to me, there are 3 display planes but I'm not sue if developers have access to more than one. Is it one for games, one for OS and one for TV or is it one for game ui & OS notifications, one for games and one for OS/TV?

Doesn't seem that outlandish to me, there are 3 display planes but I'm not sue if developers have access to more than one. Is it one for games, one for OS and one for TV or is it one for game ui & OS notifications, one for games and one for OS/TV?
There is a display plane which developers can use freely, according to this article.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...unlock-more-gpu-power-for-xbox-one-developers

"We built Xbox One with a higher quality scaler than on Xbox 360, and added an additional display plane, to provide more freedom to developers in this area. This matter of choice was a lesson we learned from Xbox 360 where at launch we had a Technical Certification Requirement mandate that all titles had to be 720p or better with at least 2x anti-aliasing - and we later ended up eliminating that TCR as we found it was ultimately better to allow developers to make the resolution decision themselves.

Game developers are naturally incented to make the highest quality visuals possible and so will choose the most appropriate trade-off between quality of each pixel vs. number of pixels for their games."

A well-placed insider with an established background in AAA multi-platform experience, currently working with next-gen hardware, was rather more pragmatic in his assessment of the 1080p situation.

"We will probably see a lot of sub-1080p games (with hardware upscale), but this is probably because there is not enough time to learn the GPU when the development environment, and sometimes clock speeds, are changing underneath you," our source said, referring to the Xbox One's evolving "mono driver" and last-minute hardware tweaks.

Anyhoo, as far as I can tell from the XO footage of Assassin's Creed IV the other day, it's 1600x900 w/ their post-AA stuff.

That image isn't 1080p native. Looks to be upscaled of the order of 50% vertically at a cursory glance. Interestingly, the map is native, suggesting the game is rendering sub-1080p in the game and overlaying native resolution UI elements.

Actually, not all of the HUD is native. :p I'm not so sure the map overlay is showing up as native as it could just be the shorter edges making the issue a lot less obvious. If you look at the larger arc near the "1" on the right, you can still see the half-vertical res problem. And if you look at the Xbox logo/text at the start of the video, it too shows the issue.

I suspect their recording was simply 1080i for broadcast (& bandwidth) purposes. Or something funky again with chroma subsampling encoding.

Anyhoo, as far as I can tell from the XO footage of Assassin's Creed IV the other day, it's 1600x900 w/ their post-AA stuff.

What about the resolution of Forza with the latest footage of the 12 mn XOne app demo? And particularly with this aliasied high quality Forza screenshot?

Can you count the pixels in it?

That's the same image I said was upscaled. We covered that there's reasons not to inherently trust this image. It's a curiosity at the moment, but I wouldn't use it for pixel counting F5 just yet.

Back