Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

IIRC the SP demo had OMB, didn't noticed it in the MP demo...there was just a radial blur caused due to explosions in the MP demo.

Keep in mind, there's always the possibility of MSAA. See: All those games using it that people complain about having jaggies because they don't use MSAA on the lighting pass or use a non-linear HDR tone mapping operator or a bunch of post-processing... such as Gears of War 1&2, Uncharted 1&2, Mass Effect 1&2, Heavenly Sword etc etc etc.

edit: I don't mean to say that it will or will not, but the footage thus far has only been good enough to determine 720 height. That's it.

The compression in these vids linked above is quite heavy for any analysis here. Just wait for proper uncompressed analysis. Been saying this for months.

Any word on Halo Reach beta native resolution yet? Some pretty noticeable jaggies in this video, I guess it's not using MSAA?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=106

Don't expect much from a 360p video. Just saying. ;)

Just got a hold of some shots. I don't believe the res has changed since the early findings. There is something curious I'd like to check more on, but I'm quite certain it's similar to what I have described above. ;)

Reach is really weird. When I stand still, lines look really sharp. When I start moving, even very very slowly, aliasing suddenly appears and starts crawling. Otherwise, the game looks great.

Well, l was kind of thinking it had something to do with the camera based motion blur effect, but it'll show up even if you're creeping very slowly, and I mean VERY slowly. I don't have enough knowledge on the subject to figure out what it is.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm playing on a 24" 1080p display, and sitting very close. Not sure how noticeable it is if you're sitting further away.

I'd say the best place to investigate would be the indoor capture the flag map with multiple floors and interconnecting bridges. The hallways have white panels on the walls. The line between the panels is dark. If you look it that line closely while standing still, it will be sharp. Edge side to side and you'll see aliasing appear and begin to crawl.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back