Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Yeah, basically:

1280x720 4xAA
1280x1080 QAA
1280x720 QAA 3D mode

These are based off of HDMI grabs that were made available to me.

Has this been confimred, I probaly posted in the wrong thread initally but I'm convinced that at 1080p the game is blurry not as bad as some other PS3 games but none the less it's still visible to me. I have tried the filters but nothing really seems to make much of a difference. When I get home I'm going to set it to 720p to see if this helps.

Yeah, basically:

1280x720 4xAA
1280x1080 QAA
1280x720 QAA 3D mode

These are based off of HDMI grabs that were made available to me.
Wonder what the differences are between Normal, Flicker Reduction and Sharpen are. It was early and I didn't get much sleep, but I swear Normal in 1080p looked softer while Flicker Reduction looked sharper. Maybe Flicker Reduction uses MSAA instead of QAA? In 720p, Normal mode looked clean and using Filter Reduction made cars look pixelated.

edit: nm about Normal vs Flicker Reduction... I just checked again and I couldn't really see a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why they switched to QA.Could it just be for the cockpit view?.When you use the car view( where you can see the whole car) the image appeared just as sharp as prologue's.But I'm no pixel counter.

What exactly "flicker reduction" does? Same as in GT Academy demo (takes away 2x temporal SSAA) or something else? And what about "sharpen", can someone elaborate? Thanks.

What exactly "flicker reduction" does? Same as in GT Academy demo (takes away 2x temporal SSAA) or something else? And what about "sharpen", can someone elaborate? Thanks.

its a setting for SD sets probably deals with interlacing. i remember a similar feature in ff12.

notice how it makes no difference in 1080p
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/0/4/5/7/0/normal2.jpg.jpg
http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/0/4/5/7/0/flicker_reduction2.jpg.jpg

updated blurb on it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gran-turismo-5-tech-analysis?page=1

Do we know what type of TAA they are using? Are they changing the sample pattern per frame? Is this even possible on RSX?
They seem to jitter the FoV without any blending between frames, this makes it invisible for screenshots.
So no they do not change sample pattern.

They seem to jitter the FoV without any blending between frames, this makes it invisible for screenshots.
So no they do not change sample pattern.

So the illusion is going to have the greatest affect when moving on the cockpit in that view, the bonnet in the roof view, and your car with the case camera? Does this maybe explain why the chase camera is so rigid? However, if you stop the car dead it will AA the entire scene?

So the illusion is going to have the greatest affect when moving on the cockpit in that view, the bonnet in the roof view, and your car with the case camera? Does this maybe explain why the chase camera is so rigid? However, if you stop the car dead it will AA the entire scene?
Yes, it works best when there is no movement at all.

And the reason that they can never use the SCE MLAA is because it's post process on the entire frame so would either require triple buffering (which they do not have the memory for and would also add extra controller lag) or the whole thing coming down to 30fps under double buffered v-sync? Is that correct, assuming that they even have the SPU time to spare?

Well think of how MLAA won't even help reducing the aliasing in GT5's case in the first place, the tracks are full of thin geometry where MLAA would fall apart completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the reason that they can never use the SCE MLAA is because it's post process on the entire frame so would either require triple buffering (which they do not have the memory for and would also add extra controller lag) or the whole thing coming down to 30fps under double buffered v-sync? Is that correct, assuming that they even have the SPU time to spare?
Why do you say that? Why would MLAA would require v-sync?

MLAA also just wouldn't look good in GT5, lots of small sub-pixel objects like chain-link fences, tree foliage, also it doesn't work on the low res alpha.

Not to mention they'd have to perform MLAA on 50% more pixels, and with a 16ms deadline.

Why do you say that? Why would MLAA would require v-sync

Does MLAA make sense in a double buffer situation? As it's post process, working on a fully resolved back buffer, wouldn't RSX be sat idle while the SPUs are doing the job? If so, you wouldn't try to save RSX time would you, so the frame would take longer to compose?

I'm not making statements here, thus all of the question marks.

Seems to be less bloom on the PS3 version, but aliasing seems less apparent. The 360 version almost looks sharpened, or the PS3 version is slightly softened.

Back