Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

And what about GT5? Same as the Prologue (1280x1080 2xAA)?

(Sorry for the double post, cannot find the edit function)

Any idea about Borderlands? From what videos I've seen it looks similar to what they did with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (No AA, but with a ton of depth of field to cover it up).

depth of field dont work if they're deliberately tracing the edges with dark black.

but ya no AA and much increased DOF when aiming.

Last edited by a moderator:
out of interest, forza 3 is 720p/2xAA, but what sort of filtering are they using, its quite distracting sometimes, bi-linear? tri-linear? etc

http://www.gameswire.net/screenshots/screenshot_original-260-0069-93861389.html

i dont know what it is about this game but it just looks blurry and upscaled. those really low resolution particle effects dont help either.

What game would that be? The link goes to the main page. If it's on R&C, the game is out and looks quite a bit better than its predecessors and the frame rate is more stable with more effects on screen. Surprisingly, they didn't skimp on the water this time around.

Vertical res is definitely 704. Checking horizontal, but I'm not expecting any difference from previous games...

edit: 960x704, same AA method.

Vertical res is definitely 704. Checking horizontal, but I'm not expecting any difference from previous games...

edit: 960x704, same AA method.

hmmmmm, yeah, that pretty much confirms it, the resolution looks much the same as the first game. most console games that use the same engine for sequels never seem to improve resolution anyways. the COD series has been the same for quite some time now, and halo3 ODST is the same too.

as for R&C the newest one it's probably cause of the amount objects and special effects going on, the framerate of the game is quite stable though.

with a resolution like that you can expect the developers to make improvements better elsewhere in the next R&C game after this one, such as further expanding the environments.

Checked the screenshots from Borderlands on Head2Head, and I don't think SSAO was worth the vastly decreased texture detail on the 360. Texture detail is much more noticable compared to SSAO, and if the devs couldn't find a way to maintain the same texture detail while adding SSAO, they should've just ditched it instead of lowering the textures.

See it and decide for yourself, which tradeoff do you prefer? I certainly prefer the higher texture detail.

borderlands_ps3_roll_01.jpg

borderlands_xbox_roll_01.jpg

Checked the screenshots from Borderlands on Head2Head, and I don't think SSAO was worth the vastly decreased texture detail on the 360. Texture detail is much more noticable compared to SSAO, and if the devs couldn't find a way to maintain the same texture detail while adding SSAO, they should've just ditched it instead of lowering the textures.

See it and decide for yourself, which tradeoff do you prefer? I certainly prefer the higher texture detail.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/wp-content/gallery/h2h_borderlands/borderlands_ps3_roll_01.jpg

The textures might be lower quality on 360 not because of the other effects but because DVD space limitation.

The textures might be lower quality on 360 not because of the other effects but because DVD space limitation.
I kind of agree. They might have chosen SSAO to hide lower res textures. The reason I think so is because I can think of a few games that would benefit from it but this game never came to mind.

SSAO is a computational issue, not a memory one. If they wanted to hide lower resolution textures, they would use a detail texture blended with the existing textures...

edit:

gah, add "texture sampling" to SSAO issue

SSAO is a computational issue, not a memory one. If they wanted to hide lower resolution textures, they would use a detail texture blended with the existing textures...

Yeah, I think that 360 would support SSAO regardless of texture quality. It’s not in the PS3 because the current version of Unreal Engine for it does not support SSAO.

Back