*Game Tech*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you are right, Oblivion got better textures, AF and a resolution increase (+better framerate) when it was ported to PS3.

But then again Oblivion GOTY 360 ran at an even higher resolution (720p) with 2x AA, about the same framerate as the PS3, and had better textures(albeit 8x AF on the PS3 makes it seem other wise), shadows and others things (water).

I doubt Oblivion is a showcase of any of the consoles strenghts or weaknesses, Bethesda Softworks has never been known for their technical skills, their PC games all run horribly (it took like 1-2 years before you could max out morrowind and keep a decent framerate, and that wasn't exactly good looking by then).

The PS3 version gains are not because the PS3 is better in any way, but because Bethesda has a very finished game that they just have to tweak for a year, just like the Goty edition on the X360 got improvements because of more dev time spendt.

I did have both versions but a pixel counter I am not..........To me it didn't seem like there was any huge differences over the GOTY version and a patched original version. If you leave out the patches (That where included in the GOTY version on the SI and KOT9 disk -PS3 version came with tham all loaded and ready to go, no installing) then there would be loading, framerate and mid distance detail differences. As well as various bugs. Res increase........If there was then it didn't scream out at me.

If there was then it didn't scream out at me.

Well, the res increase is not particularly large to begin with (620p to 720p or something) and the 360 upscaler is very good sometimes.

I dont have both versions to compare, i only got the original one. I thought the 720p on GOTY edition was pretty much confirmed.

Is the GOTY 360 edition confirmed to be superior to the original release? We've had folks wondering in the upscaling thread for some time but no one has really confirmed anything.

Everytime I've asked, I've been told there was no difference.

I have both versions of Oblivion and will give it a look tonight, and maybe post a comparison shot or two.

With regards Top Spin - PS3 has Nadal, 360 has an additional stage, and additional normal or reflective maps that add an extra layer of detail. The extra stage is tennis played over a glass aquarium and this is most likely omitted since the PS3 version has no reflections.

PS3 is 720p 2xMSAA with Quincunx, 360 is 720p 2xMSAA (thanks Quaz51). Quincunx adds a small element of blur to the graphics, most obvious on the player close-ups.

They are two shots taken from one of my saved positions where it was actually bright and in daylight. So I'd load Oblivion, do the Live update, take the shot then repeat the same process with GOTY.

Aside from the trees swaying in the wind, there shouldn't be any difference but I see what you mean about the foliage - open each shot in a different tab, swap between them and it's quite a big difference.

Maybe the most basic detail is dynamically generated and varies from session to session.

Both games are 600p, regardless.

anyone check the new Mirror's Edge trailer on PSN? Its suppose to be the PS3 version since they are only demoing the PS3 version at E3. The game looks alot cleaner than the trailer before, wonder if they have added AA. So far the only UE3 games on PS3 that I know of has AA is Vegas 2, thats probably because its using SM 2.0 and doesn't have HDR etc.

Mirror's Edge is UE3? I'd have thought DICE would use their own engine.

anyone check the new Mirror's Edge trailer on PSN? Its suppose to be the PS3 version since they are only demoing the PS3 version at E3. The game looks alot cleaner than the trailer before, wonder if they have added AA. So far the only UE3 games on PS3 that I know of has AA is Vegas 2, thats probably because its using SM 2.0 and doesn't have HDR etc.

Wiki said:
The game uses Epic's Unreal Engine 3 rather than DICE's own Frostbite Engine because the development of Mirror's Edge began before Frostbite's development was complete. Beast, a new lighting system developed by Illuminate Labs in association with DICE, was added to the Unreal Engine in order to accentuate the different art style of Mirror's Edge and allow for the reflection of colours as well as light.[1][18]

It would seem they are using a different lighting engine, and afaik there is nothing stopping them from using something like nao32 and aa at the same time.

It would seem they are using a different lighting engine, and afaik there is nothing stopping them from using something like nao32 and aa at the same time.

coo I watched the new trailer a few times, it definitely look less jaggy than the old onel, seems like Dice take the PS3 version of their games very seriously BF:BC looks virtually indentical on either platform beside some contrast and brightness difference. They have been demoing the PS3 version of ME at E3, they must be very proud of thier work. I hope they will include DTS sound support for the PS3 version of ME, like they did with Battlefield.

could it be possible, that they used a pc version which was running at 2560 x 1440 for those trailers? 1280 x 720 equals a quarter of 2560 x 1440. should be easy to resize, shouldn't it?

According to Takeuchi, the code was ported recently to console (360) in time for the first demonstration (IIRC, it was at the GDC). Safe to say that everything else prior to that, including trailers has been running on PC. MT Framework may be multiplatform, but they only move the code to consoles when the project is 60% complete.

coo I watched the new trailer a few times, it definitely look less jaggy than the old onel, seems like Dice take the PS3 version of their games very seriously BF:BC looks virtually indentical on either platform beside some contrast and brightness difference. They have been demoing the PS3 version of ME at E3, they must be very proud of thier work. I hope they will include DTS sound support for the PS3 version of ME, like they did with Battlefield.
They were much closer to each other than most dual platform games. But I did notice the 360 version had better self shadowing & reflections. The textures were also slightly better in the 360 version.

there are some screenshots here.

thats interesting, didnt notice the texture on the ground where that different when I tried them, self shadows are pretty much the same to me though, just the black color are usually darker for the 360 version but my TV set is calibrated to match the dark level and constrast to match each system as close as possible. Not sure what to say about the reflections.

thats interesting, didnt notice the texture on the ground where that different when I tried them, self shadows are pretty much the same to me though, just the black color are usually darker for the 360 version but my TV set is calibrated to match the dark level and constrast to match each system as close as possible. Not sure what to say about the reflections.
if you look at the chopper or Sweetwater's glasses in the SSs comparo you should be able to see the differences.

3149h51.jpg

The photo above was taken from this video http://http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37720.html which can be seen at Gametrailers.

There aren't visually noticeable differences, although they don't look exactly the same.

Semi-OT: Shifty, I'd like to thank you. Your posts have been really useful in solving my doubts on upscaling and the differences between 2D and 3D pixels. More on that in a later post. I feel fortunate to have people like you around, trust me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back