Run Crysis on Warheads tweaked engine

almighty

Banned
Run Crysis on Warheads tweaked engine - NOW WITH GRAPHS

Thats right, how to run Crysis on Warheads tweaked version of Cryengine 2.

Now why would you want to do such a thing?

PERFORMANCE!!!

When you run Crysis on Warheads engine you get all the tweaks and extra performance with Crysis that you got with Warhead.

Another benefit is for DX9 users, Crysis locked its highest setting and saved them for DX10 users, Warhead on the other hand made the enthusiast settings available to both DX10 and DX9. And you get that bonus aswel, load Crysis up on Warheads engine in DX9 and you'll notice that 'Very High' is selectable!!!! When you select it you get all the effects that you get when you run Warhead in DX9 with enthusiast!! :D

Not to mension all the improvments Crytec made to the lighting/Ai/Physics, you get them all!!!

Now you probably thinking whats the catch?? Well the catch is that you have to run Crysis as a MOD though Warhead. And there's a few more :

- Due to how Warhead loads its shaders up, you will get some objects looking yellow until the engine generates the shader for it.
- Some of the audio doesn't work ( I not had this problem yet )
- Sometimes the misions and there objectives wont load properly :(

Other then that its all good.

Heres how to do it :

1. Make a "Mods" folder in : [.../Electronic Arts/Crytek/Crysis WARHEAD]

2. Make a "Crysis" folder in the "Mods" folder

3. Go into the Crysis Directory : [.../Electronic Arts/Crytek/Crysis]

4. Copy the ENTIRE folder called "Game", and put it into the "Crysis" folder you made in the "Mods" folder of your Warhead game.

5. Go into the warhead directory. Find this folder : [...Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis WARHEAD\Game\Localized]

6. Rename "Localized" ( Call it "Warhead_Localized" )

7. Go into your Crysis directory, and find this folder : [...\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Game\Localized]

8. Copy the "Localized" folder, and paste it into the Warhead "game" folder.

( This is the folder that holds all the sounds )

9. Find the Crysis WARHEAD shortcut Icon [MAKE ONE IF YOU DONE HAVE ONE].

10. Right click it, and click "properties".

11. The first line should say "Target" and then the directory. ( The directory should end in "...Bin32\Crysis.exe" )

Add -Mod Crysis to the end of it.

It should now look like: "...Bin32\Crysis.exe" -Mod Crysis

12. Launch the game.

DO NOT CLICK NEW GAME, THIS WILL START THE WARHEAD MISSIONS.

13. Open console with the [~] key, and type in the following : con_restricted = 0

14. In console type : map Island

This will start the SP game, and it will work just like Warhead / Crysis works. It makes Saves, etc.

Enjoy!

IF YOU WANT TO PLAY WARHEAD AGAIN

1. Rename "Localized" "Crysis_Localized", and then re-name "Warhead_Localized" "Localized".

2. Remove the -MOD Crysis from the icon, and your back in warhead

PERFORMANCE BENCHMARKS

I did a quick test with FRAPS to monitor my min/max/average framerates of Crysis running on its own and Warheads engine.

My PC is as follows :

AMD X2 5600+ Overclcocked to 3.2ghz
4gig DDR2 800Mhz RAM
2x 8800GT's in SLI

For this test i loaded up the first level 'Contact' and messured the framerate from the second the first cut-scene starts and ended it the second Nomad hit the water on the beach..

Crysis - Contact - Original Engine - High Settings : Min 17fps Max 116fps Average 53fps

Crysis - Contact - Warhead Engine - High Settings : Min 23 Max 127 Average 67fps

And Warheads version of 'high' ( Gamer ) enables more then effects then Crysis's 'high'

More performance coupled with more eye candy ;)

Results from benchmarks may vary depending on your rig :)

Enjoy :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Run the tests again only monitoring overal FPS and then putting the data into a 2 graphs.

Bothon1graph.jpg

Now when running on Warhead the min framerate does dip slightyly more then it does when running the original engine, but look how much higher and cinsistent the framerates are compared to the original engine and thats with extra eye candy turned on aswel !!! :oops:

The actually result could be higher, i tried to get the data recording started at the same time on each run so give or take a few frames :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you notice more pop-in? Warhead at full object quality seems to have nearly as much pop-in as Crysis on medium.

Slightly off topic,
but how do you enable the DX10 (very High) in Crysis DX9 mode. I had seen a link showing a way to hack-in the DX10 effects in DX9, but can't locate now.

I just want the volumetric lighting to be enebled in Crysis, other than that "High" seems fine as I don't want to take a performance hit!

Any Help guys?

Slightly off topic,
but how do you enable the DX10 (very High) in Crysis DX9 mode. I had seen a link showing a way to hack-in the DX10 effects in DX9, but can't locate now.

I just want the volumetric lighting to be enebled in Crysis, other than that "High" seems fine as I don't want to take a performance hit!

Any Help guys?

There is no hack or something in this direction: You just play with DX10 Very High Settings. :mrgreen:
http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_13.html
To try this out for yourself, you'll need to go to your \Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis\Game\Config\CVarGroups directory and make a backup of all the files there. Next open each .cfg file (except sys_spec_Full.cfg), and copy all commands at the very top, beneath the 4 but above the [1], and paste them over all the commands under the [3] at the very bottom of the file, then save each file. If you want to understand what this does, and how these .cfg files work, see the start of the Advanced Tweaking section of this guide. Basically it just forces the game to run the Very High command variables at the in-game High setting. An alternate method which doesn't require pasting over existing settings is to copy all the commands under the '4' of each file and then paste them all into your relevant diff_ .cfg file. Remember, if you just put the commands into System.cfg or autoexec.cfg, some of them won't change since they're system variables and need to be placed in an original system file to work, as explained on page 7 of this guide.

And this is why I love PC gaming! Keep it up guys. This might just be the trigger I needed to buy Warhead.

SLI ( Sli'd 8800GT's ) is abit crap in Warhead :?: Might be because of my old driver:?:

17814.jpg

That was took from the first mission on Warhead, from the start of the cut-scene in the VTOL till when the second cut-scene kicks in were you get knocked out by the EMP bomb. Gameplay starts roughly around frame 116.

Also,

Im testing out some interesting things aswel, like replacing some of Crysis's shaders with 'tweaked' Warhead ones and getting some pretty amazing results. Will keep you updated ;)

For anyone who is interest ive just upgraded my drivers to the new forceware 180.43. I was running 178.24 before and was abit down over there crappy SLI performance so i decided to capture some framerate data and compare the 2 drivers

Here are the results :

AFR1 178.24 vs AFR1 180.43​

AFRVSAFR.jpg

SFR 178.42 vs SFR 180.43

SFRVSSFR.jpg

SFR 180.43 vs AFR 180.43​

sfrVSafr1.jpg

Enjoy :D

I've played Crysis 1 and Warhead to death completing the game to analyze it's stability and effects. I'm gonna check this out soon...should be interesting to see how Crysis 1 behaves using slightly more powerful hardware plus the Warhead mod.

Can anyone confirm if C1 can be actually finished using Warhead engine? Original C1 always crashes on the last level for me.

Can anyone confirm if C1 can be actually finished using Warhead engine? Original C1 always crashes on the last level for me.
You have to turn off DX10 on the last level. It's been broken since release.

Back