Microsoft unveils the final/product name for "Windows 7"

I imagine any copy of Win7 out in the wild is also running in debug mode, thus making any performance criticisms entirely irrelevant.

I imagine any copy of Win7 out in the wild is also running in debug mode, thus making any performance criticisms entirely irrelevant.

Much like the Vista released before RC status. And that dailytech article is absolutely stunning in it's absurdity...

WARP10 is a fully conformant multithreaded DX10 software rasterizer that will ship in Windows 7.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285359.aspx

Fully supports all Direct3D 10 and 10.1 feature
Fully supports all the precision requirements of the Direct3D 10 and 10.1 specification
Supports Direct3D 11 when used with FeatureLevel 9_1, 9_2, 9_3, 10_0 and 10_1
Supports all optional texture formats, such as multi-sample render targets and sampling from float surfaces.
Supports anti-aliased, high quality rendering up to 8x MSAA.
Supports anisotropic filtering
Supports 32 and 64 bit applications as well as large address aware 32 bit applications.

Performance on an 8-way i7 isn't great, but is orders of magnitude faster than refrast. And it even runs Crysis (slowly).

Who wants to bet that this is a practice run for a future Larrabee software rasterizer or something like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
WARP10 is a fully conformant multithreaded DX10 software rasterizer that will ship in Windows 7.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd285359.aspx

Performance on an 8-way i7 isn't great, but is orders of magnitude faster than refrast. And it even runs Crysis (slowly).

Who wants to bet that this is a dry run for a future Larrabee software rasterizer or something like it?

Well, even if it is not uber-great for gaming, maybe it will be able to decently run Windows 7's Aero without GPU assistance.

that would be an effective way to heat up your room a bit. but folding is more useful.
very interesting piece of software mind you but the very best CPU is equal to the very worst IGP.

that would be an effective way to heat up your room a bit. but folding is more useful.
very interesting piece of software mind you but the very best CPU is equal to the very worst IGP.

i7 isn't optimized for GPU work, it's conceivable that Larabee will be much better.

I am thinking WARP10 is just a practice run for when they have to build it for real on Larabee.

Actually, if you take a closer look at the comparison in that article you'll see that the very best CPU is quite a bit better than even a good IGP. Anyway, this is simply a means to an end, not an end in itself, so don't get too bothered by it.

Back