Elbot - Turing Score of 25%

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
It's not directly linked to consoles, but I'd sure love to see a modern day game using the technology. Maybe a really awesome Leisure Suit Larry version (or spoof) ...

If anyone remembers the Turing test, it won the prize for this competition that's based on it:

http://www.loebner.net/Prizef/loebner-prize.html

And it got really close to attaining the Turing test's threshold of 30%, by managing to fool 25% procent of humans after a five minute chat.

I've been working on something like this myself this year, though very simple right now, because I thought it wouldn't actually be insanely difficult to do something like this that is limited to game specific contexts at the very least, and that learns (at least basic information) by talking to you. (But then I have a lot of unfinished projects ... . ;) )

www.elbot.com is down, but it had an earlier version of it. Maybe they're updating it to reflect the latest version, or are just worried about getting too many hits after winning the competition. ;)

Seemed to be working for me.

I just had a completely unintelligible conversion with it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been working on something like this myself this year, though very simple right now, because I thought it wouldn't actually be insanely difficult to do something like this that is limited to game specific contexts at the very least...
Reproducing the average game-forum speak isn't at all hard, as game-forum speak itself fails the Turing test, producing more inane gibberish than any computer simulation. A machine would only have to insult the user and quote passages followed by rolleyes to pass as a typical forumite.

I don't think a console game would work with advanced conversational aspects. The best efforts would fool all of 25% of the players, so will look out of place for everyone else, and we want audio these days, not text only. Perhaps the best chance would be a cutscene or two with a highly focussed conversational component, such as maybe a murder-mystery game.

And unless people are going to discuss the technology involved in implementing virtual conversationalists, this thread should be moved to the Console forum.

This really fooled 25% of people? It's moronic!

Mod : Removed the off-topic political commentary

Well the version on the site is not the version that was submitted, which apparently was quite a bit more advanced ... It makes jokes though, which is fun. The german version seems slightly better.

This is definitely not the version submitted - I tested it, and it can't remember things. I'm sure the version they submitted would do at least that.

This is very strange. Apparently, I turned elbot on. lol
That was a highly erotic number you just entered. You could make a strong robot melt using digits like that...
It also thought I was a girl, because apparently Darryl is a girl's name. :(

haha! I asked him to do a handstand, and he fell over!

Anyways, he can remember some stuff. He remembers my name and country. Asked me about the capital, Ottawa.

Well, that was entertaining. :) Much better than any other chat-bot I've tried before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back