Life with Playstation / Folding@Home update

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Life with Playstation is out now, from the Folding@Home icon. These two have officially merged now, and the download includes a Folding@Home update that extends the type of calculations that the Playstation 3 will handle.

They have some info on the blog, where they show that they could use the real-time cloud formations view to show the progress of hurricane Ike:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/09/17/start-your-“life-with-playstation”/

Does the Life with Playstation work with remote play?
F@H worked, but afer I just run the small update (not the bigger one that changes f@H into Life) it didn't support remote play any more.
Didn't have time to finish the Life update and check.

This could be a first for Sony. After the mistaken placing of Life on the network recently they said it would be up "soon". I guess they weren't wrong. :)

Gonna check it out and I'll give impressions.

Cheers.

EDIT: First impression. Annoying that you have to do two separate updates. Bah. I'm sure deepbrown will point out some flaw in my logic though.

EDIT 2: Needs more channels. Very nice presentation though. Shame the "more news" option then brings up a web page rather than presenting it within Life. I like it though depending on the depth of articles and the areas/regions covered I could see myself using this a lot. Good stuff. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This could be a first for Sony. After the mistaken placing of Life on the network recently they said it would be up "soon". I guess they weren't wrong. :)

Gonna check it out and I'll give impressions.

Cheers.

EDIT: First impression. Annoying that you have to do two separate updates. Bah. I'm sure deepbrown will point out some flaw in my logic though.

EDIT 2: Needs more channels. Very nice presentation though. Shame the "more news" option then brings up a web page rather than presenting it within Life. I like it though depending on the depth of articles and the areas/regions covered I could see myself using this a lot. Good stuff. :)

The only flaw I see in your logic is that you're intentionally trying to start something with deepbrown, unless you two have a history.

I havne't been able to update, but it doesn't seem something too enticing, I will probably check it out, but who knows how long I'll use it.

Haven't tried it yet since I'm at home. Nice update ! Can't be more happy that Sony is consolidating its loose services into integrated ones. I'm most interested in videos around the world.

They should add the Playstation Home "Game Launching" feature to Life with Playstation next. That way they can exit Life, go into a separate app/game and then back again (to do what slider wants). Life should also show a short list of people watching the same channel and cities as me now, that would help to build community too (presumably I would be able to interact with them).

It's pretty cool. If folding didn't take up so many watts I wouldn't mind if my PS3 booted up directly into life every time I turned it on.

Basically a rip off of the Wii channels, but it is already significantly better. And there is so much potential here compared to the Wii. I predict a voting channel comes soon.

Haven't tried it yet since I'm at home. Nice update ! Can't be more happy that Sony is consolidating its loose services into integrated ones. I'm most interested in videos around the world.

They should add the Playstation Home "Game Launching" feature to Life with Playstation next. That way they can exit Life, go into a separate app/game and then back again (to do what slider wants). Life should also show a short list of people watching the same channel and cities as me now, that would help to build community too (presumably I would be able to interact with them).

I think it's got a lot of potential but you're right... integration is crucial. If Folding wasn't incorporated into Life (and I'm glad it is seeing as I'm at the princely figure of zero units folded) the icon clutter on the XMB would've increased.

As I said though the coverage is slim and patchy at the minute. I'm convinced it'll grow though. For interacting with people on your friends list it has a lot of potential. I mean you can see the little lights on Folding/Life and now you can potentially see your friend's city too!

The webcams, whilst really cool, are only tiny - slightly bigger than the Video thumbnails. I'm still not sure how often they update though. But they're definitely not static; I saw the Trafalgar square one change. Couple of other quick points on the webcams: The Lagos one is surprisingly beautiful and the Islamabad one was definitely not Islamabad!

Does LWP require the optional firmware update?

Nope, I didn't DL 2.43 and it prompted me when I clicked into Folding. Two separate DLs though. One for the updated Folding client and one for Life itself.

I think it's got a lot of potential but you're right... integration is crucial. If Folding wasn't incorporated into Life (and I'm glad it is seeing as I'm at the princely figure of zero units folded) the icon clutter on the XMB would've increased.

Yeap... but unless you leave Life running long enough, I suspect your Folding will still stay at 0. By the time you're done with 1 unit, it's probably been reassigned to someone else. :)

As I said though the coverage is slim and patchy at the minute. I'm convinced it'll grow though. For interacting with people on your friends list it has a lot of potential. I mean you can see the little lights on Folding/Life and now you can potentially see your friend's city too!

I hope so too ! Sony bought some video news site not long ago. They should make their debute on consoles in Life. YouTube and Viddler should join in one way or another too.

The channel concept is nice. Besides the F@H channel, we can have real-time feed from other sources also.

EDIT: Sorry, they didn't buy the video news site, but they have exclusive distribution rights for it: http://www.rocketboom.com/

EDIT 2: Look at this one: http://www.rocketboom.com/rb_08_sep_10/

I am heavily for an option to stop the folding in the background. I really don't want to have that laggy XMB while using the application. I love it so far but no if I wanted to do more folding, I'd have done it in the past.

It's not that I'm a dick and don't want to fold or something (altho I still doubt the concept) - I just don't want to give up resources when I don't intend to. Make it optional to fold in the background. Solved.

Yeap... but unless you leave Life running long enough, I suspect your Folding will still stay at 0. By the time you're done with 1 unit, it's probably been reassigned to someone else. :)

Ha, I've recently been reinvigorated - only because of all this talk of Life's integration in the lead up to it's launch.

Tragically I was about to complete my first unit, my PS3 having beavered away furiously, and I got prompted to DL the update which meant I lost my stats! :(

Rocketboom would be a good fit with Life. But again the coverage could be crucial. I just hope the deal isn't allowed to sit for ages with little integration with the PS3. I'm still looking for what the big picture for Viddler is!

Now to go and check the news in Lima... :)

No. Just update your Folding@Home app. Or download it if you never downloaded it before.
Okay. That's gonna marginalise their userbase somewhat, not telling people they now have access to LWP as long as they run the Folding app that's been sat unused on their PS3 since getting the thing!

I hope we can turn off folding. That's always just seemed like a waste of $5-10 on the electricity bill to me. Not to mention you're probably shaving off a few years of your hardware's lifespan.

Edit: Folding is always running. A little surprised to see it's not running at 60fps. The text is near unreadable on my shitty 1080i CRT HDTV.

Last edited by a moderator:
so using life with playstation i found this news. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10045014-2.html
looks nothing like home what so ever. anyway i just found that ironic.

The more the merrier. They will just validate the market at this point. Playstation Home will have its own unique angle amongst all these options.

I got to try LwP. Although the news display is pretty simple, I am glad they made an effort to polish it up. The browser appears in a translucent layer. When left alone, the globe will hop from city to city to show me news summaries around the world.

I now know a tiny bit more about the world I live in. ^_^
How often does Google news update itself ?

Back