Heavy Rain: New Screenshots and development footage*

Status
Not open for further replies.
GC 2008: Closed demo of Heavy Rain

We’re seeing a closed demo of Heavy Rain: Origami Killer at Games Convention. Quantics David Cage is walking us through a huge part of the game that continues on from yesterday’s video demonstration we seen at the Press Conference.

I really like this section:

You can use the Sixaxis to open windows and look through keyholes. In fact, everything you see “in the set” is interactive. You can sit anywhere, turn on the TV, open all the doors in the house - which incidentally was created by an architect who is part of the development team.

Full Write Up - Link

:D

Oragami Killer is the name of the demo that they have been showing behind closed doors and now to the public @ leipzig. However this is not a scenario in the final game as they dont want to spoil the story. Hence the name is not the name for the final game eithe,r just that particular sceen for demo/public showings only.

I read this on one of the many interviews coming from leipzig will dig it up if I can to quote here.

I wonder if the BBC guy is going to say anything.

I like what I see so far. It's different and indeed does make me sit up when watching the trailer. Hope they can keep it up throughout the entire game.

I'm seeing a flaw with what I'm understanding this medium to be. You have moral choices, right? And they affect the outcome, right? But in all the adventures I've played before, you always take the different choices to see what the outcome would be. That is, the player doesn't decide whether to be 'good' or 'evil' but instead chooses which one first to see what the outcome is. This destroys all emotional attachment to the decision-making. Unless the player is made to care about the outcomes and not choose a path because it would upset them, I can only see it being a interesting tech-feat driven by curiosity.

Or a really interesting premise for a new IP. A kind of cross between Condemned and Siren. And moral choice always comes down to taking the first option, especially in a game where the outcome isn't going to have a direct effect on your own well being. In life you way the pros and cons because making the wrong choice will always come back to bite you on the ass. Who actually cares about characters in a game? Until I can sit down and have a real conversation with one (not just to pass the Turing test!), then in a game I'll try all the options whether it results in failure or not (or try them again even if it does).

Fahrenheit wasn't about choosing between good or bad, and I can only imagine Heavy Rain to be the same. In Fahrenheit you were always presented with a situation and often can only guess what the best thing to do is. Ever choice can have both good consequences and bad consequences. And even if you have made a choice, you can still fail to do what you believe was the right thing. Fahrenheit also had an autosave system, which saved your progress after every choice, so you can't try multiple options before deciding your choice, unless you restart the whole chapter. So it's very much like real life. For every choice you weight the pro's and con's, you do the best you can, and even if you fail, you can't always undo your mistakes.

Fahrenheit wasn't about choosing between good or bad, and I can only imagine Heavy Rain to be the same. In Fahrenheit you were always presented with a situation and often can only guess what the best thing to do is. Ever choice can have both good consequences and bad consequences. And even if you have made a choice, you can still fail to do what you believe was the right thing. Fahrenheit also had an autosave system, which saved your progress after every choice, so you can't try multiple options before deciding your choice, unless you restart the whole chapter. So it's very much like real life. For every choice you weight the pro's and con's, you do the best you can, and even if you fail, you can't always undo your mistakes.

True, though like most 'choice' games there was a good ending and many lesser endings... and, maybe I'm mistaken, couldn't you essentially pick which ending you wanted from the very last few dialogue choices?

True, though like most 'choice' games there was a good ending and many lesser endings... and, maybe I'm mistaken, couldn't you essentially pick which ending you wanted from the very last few dialogue choices?

That's true, you had a few simple choices in the final short chapter that would determine the outcome. There was notting else you could do in all other chapter's that has any effect on the final chapter. That limitation made the game a lot less interesting, but you don't know how limited your choices really are until you complete the game. The first time you play through it, your always under the illusions that your choices are infinite, so it won't effect the experience then.

There is a good quality version on the European PSN, downloaded it earlier and its 10 times better watching it on a HD LCD 42" TV. Oh Yeah

Heavy Rain Home support confirmed

David Cage, writer and director of massively anticipated PS3 exclusive Heavy Rain, has confirmed that the game will support PlayStation Home, Sony's much delayed online virtual world.

LINK

Nice one, I think Sony are finally getting their acts together. :D

Heavy Rain Tech Demo vs Gameplay comparison

Many people are slightly dissapointed in Heavy Rain and we’ve heard people say that the visuals have took a downgrade since the tech demo that was shown all the way back at E3 2006. We’ve finally seen some actual gameplay footage of the game, shown at the Leipzig Games Convention 2008 just a few days ago.

Many people thought the tech demo at E306 was just a rendered feel of how the game could look.

We’ve put together a screenshot comparison for you to take a look at.

LINK

Personally I prefer the GC edition, I feel they added a more realistic touch to the character.

What do you guys think :?:

Everything has improved.
But the tech demo was in FP16 (and 30 fps on RSX) .Dropping FP16 enabled obviously some (considerable )room for improvement.

Saw the PSn Direct Feed trailer. Looks nice, you can see jaggies in the long shots of the environment and some artifacts on the edges of the girl's hair. Nothing Jarring. In fact, i think , the game will be awe inspiring when we will be able to move around in that movie like world.

Saw the PSn Direct Feed trailer. Looks nice, you can see jaggies in the long shots of the environment and some artifacts on the edges of the girl's hair. Nothing Jarring. In fact, i think , the game will be awe inspiring when we will be able to move around in that movie like world.

Well it tells us that it's actually in game :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back