Nvidia GT300 core: Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUD isn't saying x is better than y. It's saying that y sucks and is going down the drain for <whatever_obscure_reason> that isn't readily verifiable. Substitute the variables by your favourite/hated IHV and features.
Saying that something's better is the same as saying that something's worse. So you're essentially saying the same thing.

You'd have to wonder why reviewers still enable PhysX when testing Graphics cards as the PhysX benchmark in Vantage is meant to show the difference between a CPU and CPU+PPU combo. Not for benching one graphics card to the other.

How reviewers choose to use their product is not Futuremark's responsibility.
Reviewers have been doing questionable tests and have published questionable interpretations of results for as long as I can remember.

You can get upset, but I still disagree. Glide went away. Things that are popular can cease to be. Walkman, discman where art thou?
If Carmack&Co hadn't pushed OpenGL (well miniGL, but close enough) then it wouldn't have ended well for us either.

Who's getting upset?

While your folks are busy with proprietary *whatever* I am still wondering what happened to the supposed dark H1 or even H2 2010 rumors or the dreadful 2% only yields.

Anyway it wasn't too hard to guess that some people's "guestimates" cannot take them very far in the end.

I'm wondering at this point when NV will release its performance/mainstream/budget G30x parts. Could it mean that the delay of the high end part has moved its release a lot closer to the remaining smaller parts?

http://golubev.com/about_cpu_and_gpu_2_en.htm

And now it's easy to estimate speed of upcoming GT300 and HD5800 series as their peak performance already known and there no difference at architecture for integer calculations.

Really?

While major GT300 feature is MIMD (multiple instructions multiple data) for embarrassingly parallel problem like hash cracking MIMD doesn't matters at all as most of the time we're executing one instruction for all data we have.

:unsure:

Results on existing hardware:

empirical.png

Estimates:

estimates.png

I agree completely. I'm merely pointing out to Sxotty that just because something disappears doesn't mean its (ill) effects will stop as well.

I wasn't saying they would. I was saying that Mfa's argument that is physX got popular we would never ever have other options b/c it was dominant wasn't necessarily correct.
edit:
Cue MfA's post saying that isn't what he meant either. Then we can all gather round the fire and sing kumbaya :)

Senior manager from Nvidia has told Fudzilla that “Our (Nvidia’s) 40nm yields are fine. The rumors you are hearing are baseless.”

Wow Neilz, I think he's talking about you.

Congrats Chuck!

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15689/1/

Senior manager from Nvidia has told Fudzilla that “Our (Nvidia’s) 40nm yields are fine. The rumors you are hearing are baseless.” This comes after some stories that GT300 yields are really bad and that next generation Nvidia is in really bad shape. According to AMD’s competitive analysis team, only nine chips should work per wafer, but they got this number due to a bad translation and we can definitely dismiss this number as completely inaccurate information.

Hahaha, Fudo is getting snippy! :LOL:

The lower yield rates is real but not to the extent of what SA was stating. And for the fully functional chips its much higher then SA,when you concider the salvage pieces the yield rates are quite acceptable.

Senior manager from Nvidia has told Fudzilla that “Our (Nvidia’s) 40nm yields are fine. The rumors you are hearing are baseless.”

Wow Neilz, I think he's talking about you.

Congrats Chuck!

Indeed,

nvidia management has been telling everyone who wants to hear it how great 40nm production is going. What great prices they are getting over at TSMC and they have no problem whatsoever.

If you just write down what they say, surely there isn't a problem in the world, not even for Fermi.

Code:
<14:30:54>      AlexV - did you see the gt300 leak?
<14:31:38>        rys - Nope
<14:32:53>      AlexV - [url]http://golubev.com/about_cpu_and_gpu_2_en.htm[/url]
<14:32:57>      AlexV - bottom of page
<14:34:06>        rys - It's not right
<14:34:30>      AlexV - well that takes care of it

Given that it's silly season around here anyway, I shudder to think what it's going to be like in a few weeks! :p

Code:
<14:30:54>      AlexV - did you see the gt300 leak?
<14:31:38>        rys - Nope
<14:32:53>      AlexV - [URL]http://golubev.com/about_cpu_and_gpu_2_en.htm[/URL]
<14:32:57>      AlexV - bottom of page
<14:34:06>        rys - It's not right
<14:34:30>      AlexV - well that takes care of it
Given that it's silly season around here anyway, I shudder to think what it's going to be like in a few weeks! :p

Hey look what the cat (no pun intended heh...) just dragged in ;)

The author is obviously just speculating on the up to now supposed leaked specifications. I'm still buffled where the supposed "leak" is anyway.

The author is obviously just speculating on the up to now supposed leaked specifications. I'm still buffled where the supposed "leak" is anyway.

Maybe there's something more there that he copied from Theo's article back in May?

Cue MfA's post saying that isn't what he meant either. Then we can all gather round the fire and sing kumbaya :)
Why would I? You stopped addressing the arguments and just resorted to stuff like this ... I'll just sit here and gloat now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back