• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh nice, thanks! Does this mean there is some difference with the memory or some other board change they've done to keep the req below 300w, or is this an out-of-spec board?

No clue, it's either out of spec, or they have cherry picked the GPU's very well to keep the power down, perhaps why this is a limited edition card of only 1000 units?

so the newer 5970s 4GB seem to be "real" 5870s" with all 1600SPs enabled and running at the HD5870 full speed of 850mhz... in effect truly 5870 crossfire on a stick compared to the older 5970 that was more like 5850+ X2s... I would think all of the upcoming 4GB 5900s (Asus, MSI XHX, Sapphire etc) would follow suit ?

Regular 5970 already has all 1600SPs enabled but clocked at 725Mhz

Oh nice, thanks! Does this mean there is some difference with the memory or some other board change they've done to keep the req below 300w, or is this an out-of-spec board?

It should be well above the 294W TDP of a standard 5970. Doubling the memory and increasing the GPU clock by 17% should account for more than 6W.

IMHO the difference is that this time the AICs are doing out of spec boards - and not for the mass market either, I think. If an IHV would officially break the PCIe-spec in their reference, well that'd be a feast for the "enemy" PR to dwell on.

If an IHV would officially break the PCIe-spec in their reference, well that'd be a feast for the "enemy" PR to dwell on.

Couldn't they just claim it's only...say 250W? :mrgreen:
You're probably right ofcourse, but I think this out of spec thing is a bit theoretic, as long as the only problem is the missing line in the table of possible PCIe power configurations. All the shown 5970 Petunia boards have 2*8pin power and can therefore officially use up to 375w - and as long as they don't draw more than 75 from the slot and 150 from each 8pin cable it should be within spec.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the shown 5970 Petunia boards have 2*8pin power and can therefore officially use up to 375w - and as long as they don't draw more than 75 from the slot and 150 from each 8pin cable it should be within spec.
You are assuming the limitations have an engineering justification ... it's just a completely arbitrary limit which they have no other way to enforce except by the licensing of logos (the truly important licensing, ie. patent licensing, is settled with the bylaws and does not allow limitations on anything which doesn't directly interact with the bus).

Why the fuck did they do this then? I have no clue whatsoever.

No clue, it's either out of spec, or they have cherry picked the GPU's very well to keep the power down, perhaps why this is a limited edition card of only 1000 units?

could just be better yielding chips that require less voltage and thus produce less heat and draw less power at these clock speeds.

It has been 6 months since cypress went into production so mabye this is the rewards of that.

Where is the durned 5890, or even a rumor of such? I begin to doubt it's existence.

Well, I can tell you that Both Hemlock Pro and Hemlock XT are supported in Catalyst drivers for some time now.. Maybe around May when the GTX480 finally launches?

Isn't Hemlock the 5970 dual GPU, and the 5890 should be a single GPU?

New 5670 based on Juniper?

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18918

"AMD is on the verge of introducing a quicker version of its $99 Radeon HD 5670 based on different silicon, according to a report by Inpai. The Chinese website claims the new version will be out this month with 50% more stream processors and a slightly lower core clock speed than its predecessor."

New 5670 based on Juniper?

http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/18918

"AMD is on the verge of introducing a quicker version of its $99 Radeon HD 5670 based on different silicon, according to a report by Inpai. The Chinese website claims the new version will be out this month with 50% more stream processors and a slightly lower core clock speed than its predecessor."

wonder if it will be fast enough to replace the 5750. Might be a good move as the 5670 class boards and chips have tobe much cheaper to make

Sigh, havent they learnt anything? It really should be called 5730 and i hope it is. And actually, why is the 5570 not called the 5650??

Sigh, havent they learnt anything? It really should be called 5730 and i hope it is. And actually, why is the 5570 not called the 5650??
5690 would be fine too.

With regards to 55xx, there are two of them and they use DDR or GDDR3 memory with less than half the bandwidth so they are rightly differentiated.

5690 would be fine too.

With regards to 55xx, there are two of them and they use DDR or GDDR3 memory with less than half the bandwidth so they are rightly differentiated.

Well usually they've been naming each and every different chip in its own series, ie RV770 was 4800 series, RV740 4700 series etc. So while 5690 would be some differentiator at least, 5730 would be ideal.

Previously with the 4xxx series, with the exception of RV710 they named each chip in the same range. For eg RV730, the 4670 used GDDR3 and 4650 used DDR2. With RV770 you had the GDDR5 variant 4870 and GDDR3 4850. So in this case with Redwood, the 5670 uses GDDR5 so the variant using DDR3 should have just been named 5650. Its more in line with their earlier naming system and is clearer to the end user as well

Back