• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
They only just finished releasing the entire evergreen lineup last month, give em some more time. Also you gotta remember it took them 9 months after RV770 to release RV790. And i guess NI is probably on track to release in Q3 anyway
If it is on 40nm then that's possible, but it would surprise me if they really made it for Q3.

Yea honestly i wonder what AMD actually did in the years they were on top with K8. If barcelona(which anyway is basically a K8) is all they could come up with then their cpu division looks like a dead end to me. Intel managed to go through Core 2, Nehalem(admittedly almost a core 2 with IMC), Westmere(Nehalem with AES NI?) and Sandy bridge also looks like it'll debut before we see Bulldozer
From what I've gathered they scrapped at least one K11/Bulldozer design and had to start from scratch again, which caused them to lose a lot of time. And Barcelona had been - well, let's say less of a failure, if AMDs 65nm process had not been such a mess that they were unable to reach the desired clockspeeds within a sane thermal envelope.

I don't agree with the dead end part. AMDs CPU division just needs to pull their own RV770.

They don't need to refresh Evergreen if Northern Islands are on schedule and due to release in another 6 months, and if their products are currently very competitive on price/performance. The recent overclocked parts may very well be all they intend to do with Cypress vs Fermi and Juniper may never face any competion for more than a couple of months before being discontinued.

Seems to me that a faster clocked cypress can bridge the gap with the gx 480 and since the gtx 480 is at $500 $550 ? there is a whole lot of money that can be made on it. $500 5890 that performs similar to the gtx 480 would make ati alot of money and most likely cost them very little

Seems to me that a faster clocked cypress can bridge the gap with the gx 480 and since the gtx 480 is at $500 $550 ? there is a whole lot of money that can be made on it. $500 5890 that performs similar to the gtx 480 would make ati alot of money and most likely cost them very little

Well it can I guess but that depends ultimately on the highest clock speeds and whether or not review sites are willing to review comparatively an overclocked Cypress card vs a stock clocked Fermi. I doubt they would make much if any real money on an overclocked Cypress but they would probably gain from the positive attention for their lower end cards. However in all fairness the Hemlock card does well as the fastest single board card, especially now that the popular with enthusiasts 1156pin platform from Intel doesn't do crossfire very well and people have been taking Nvidias advice and spending more on the GPU than CPU which is kinda ironic.

I noticed the following over at Anandtech regarding the GTX 4x0 series

NVIDIA has added a new Transparency Supersampling (TrSS) mode for Fermi (ed: and GT240) that picks up where the old one left off. Their previous TrSS mode only worked on DX9 titles, which meant that users had few choices for anti-aliasing fake geometry under DX10 games. This new TrSS mode works under DX10, it’s as simple as that.

Does the 5800 series have issues with adaptive AA in DX10/DX11 titles or was it just a Nvidia thing?

Thought about a thing with the 5970 (and other dual gpu cards).. Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to have some sort of "turbo mode" - nehalem style, except that it wouldn't have to switch nearly as fast.
So if crossfire isn't working/active, the single active core will get more voltage and clock up to 900-950 mhz - you could even make a asymmetric design with better memory chips for the primary core.
The card has *plenty* of power and cooling for a single high clocked chip, and the chips are supposed be among the best anyway.

Or would it be too much of admitting that it doesn't always scale? ;) (just like we can't get stutter free (leveled out) AFR, as it would reduce average frame rates)

Thought about a thing with the 5970 (and other dual gpu cards).. Wouldn't it make a lot of sense to have some sort of "turbo mode" - nehalem style, except that it wouldn't have to switch nearly as fast.
So if crossfire isn't working/active, the single active core will get more voltage and clock up to 900-950 mhz - you could even make a asymmetric design with better memory chips for the primary core.
The card has *plenty* of power and cooling for a single high clocked chip, and the chips are supposed be among the best anyway.

I really like this idea. I hope both IHVs implement it!

They must have been expecting a miniscule allocation of Fermis if a special edition of "hundreds" of the AMD board was a better deal.

Very nice, a 5970 with a 2Gb frame buffer and E6! I hope it gets some reviews with 3x1, not just 3x2, as that's what it will be used for by gamers.

I wonder if the 4GB will atleast have 5870 clocks. That way it's an attractive offering over 2 5870's which can be clocked even higher.

Oh and crossfire scaling well in most games is a must.

I wonder if the 4GB will atleast have 5870 clocks. That way it's an attractive offering over 2 5870's which can be clocked even higher.

Oh and crossfire scaling well in most games is a must.

Why would the 4gb have 5870 clocks if the 2gb doesn't? It's clocked lower to stay within PCIe specs, I don't think that would have changed for this version?

Why would the 4gb have 5870 clocks if the 2gb doesn't? It's clocked lower to stay within PCIe specs, I don't think that would have changed for this version?

http://www.techpowerup.com/118730/XFX_Alters_Radeon_HD_5970_Black_Edition_Design.html

The HD 5970 Black Edition from XFX sports two AMD Cypress GPUs with 1600 stream processors each, 4 GB of GDDR5 memory across 2x 256-bit memory interfaces, clock-speeds on par with single-GPU Radeon HD 5870 (850/1200 MHz, core/memory), and added overclocking potential. It uses Eyefinity6 display outputs, to single-handedly run six full-HD displays, and multiple Eyefinity display groups.

Back