• Within couple months

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Impossible. Noone makes smaller than 1gbit ddr3 chips, hence 4 16bit wide 1gbit chips is the lowest possible configuration - 512MB. If that 5500 series is Redwood with 128bit bus, the lowest possible configuration with ddr3 is actually 1GB.
Is this a recent thing? Or are you actually talking about DDR3 instead of GDDR3?

There are plenty of 128-bit, 512MB GDDR3 cards on the market, as well as 256-bit, 1GB GDDR3 cards. 4670, 4850, GT240, GT220, GTX285, etc.

I have mobility radeon 5830 on the way, which is like a 5770 (800SP DX11) , except with 128bit GDDR3 and lower clocks. Power draw is impressively low though.

For the desktop 5830 I'm not sure, but it has to beat the 4890 at that price. The 5770 is already clocked at 850Mhz, so I'm guessing either more memory bandwidth or more SP than the 5770?

Does it have to?

Newegg time!

Only 2* 4890 in stock

Only 3* 4870 in stock

Only 1* 4860 in stock

Only 8* 4850 in stock (so this is the last holdout)

My guess is another unit disabled so 2/10 gone will yield 1280SP with more memory bandwidth than the 5770 and fill a small hole in their lineup between the $300 5850 and the $170 5770 at around $240-50

Searching google for HD 5830 provided me with some surprises.

I'd heard no mention of it here.

Is this thing real, and if so, what will be the spec's?

It will come out soon (sooner than FurbyTM)

it will have something between 800 and 1440 SP's and will be price between HD5770 and 5850 ;)

My guess is 1120 SP's and 56TMU's on clocks a bit lower than 5850 priced at least $50 over HD5770. It will (probably) also retain the benefit of a 256 bit bus since it's basically a cut HD5850 (same board et al.)

Is this a recent thing? Or are you actually talking about DDR3 instead of GDDR3?
Yes, I'm talking about ddr3, not gddr3. New graphic cards pretty much always come with either ddr3 or with gddr5. While in theory they all still support gddr3, I guess it's just not cost effective.

There are plenty of 128-bit, 512MB GDDR3 cards on the market, as well as 256-bit, 1GB GDDR3 cards. 4670, 4850, GT240, GT220, GTX285, etc.
Right. And the 4670 in particular comes with 1GB ddr3 or 512MB gddr3, both costing about the same.
Quite often actually card specs say gddr3 but then it's actually ddr3 (a very good hint is the memory frequency).
The 5450 card shown there certainly has ddr3, not gddr3 ram chips (not to say gddr3 would be impossible but I think it's unlikely to appear).

Yes, I'm talking about ddr3, not gddr3. New graphic cards pretty much always come with either ddr3 or with gddr5. While in theory they all still support gddr3, I guess it's just not cost effective.
I think GDDR3 has been phased out.

- GDDR5 is needed for high end boards, so high speed GDDR3 has no longer any use
- DDR3 is (or will soon be) cheaper than DDR2 since this is almost not produced anymore
- DDR3 is cheaper than GDDR3 since production volume is way higher
- DDR3 has low power variants (1.2v & 1.35v), which makes it a perfect fit for low power GPUs

I'm a bit confused - what's the difference between the 5500 and 5400 series again? Just clocks?

The 5500 series should be Redwood with some form of DDR3. Look at this slide from the anandtech review. Also from previous in the thread the it168 review of the 5570 clearly shows a Redwood.

Some people said 55xx is GDDR5 Cedar....but unless they decide to copy Intel, logically that part should be somewhere in the 54xx series.

54xx appears to be all Cedar, not sure if it will include both GDDR5 and DDR3 variants. There appears to be a GDDR3 Cedar version called the 5450 (see previous page).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that's excellent news. I was worried because 128bit and low-profile rarely go well together (in fact, the only example I can think of was an AOpen 6600 way back) and the 4550 was such a weak card last time around.

Aye, I'm still hopeful for a 5450 with 256 MB (or less) RAM. Since I don't use my HTPC for gaming, oodles of RAM would just be a waste of power and silicon.

Regards,
SB

It's not because it cannot be done - maybe there's just no market for it?
There is a market it for it, when you get to the correct cost structure. The issues is the LP boards is that the lack of the extra PCB space means you you to go to more PCB layers to get to higher number of trace lengths, hence the PCB costs go up. If that cost is offset elsewhere then it is very appealling; and even more so beyond the relatively small HTPC market, in the OEM space which does deal in quite a lot of the small form factor business/commercially oriented PC's.

So is it a WDDM 1.0 limitation, or something else entirely?

IIRC, XP supported > 4 monitors.

I don't know what it is other than arbitrary. If you notice, when ATI demo'd the 24 monitor setup on the Hornet, they used Linux to do it with.

Anyone seeing the power grab of forced signed drivers on MeII SP7 yet? :)

-Charlie

Dave,

Maybe, but getting a feature apart from 3DMarks or other package-printable numbers to aquit for the cost increase associated with it seems to be difficult to sell. At least I haven't seen decently performing cards (from an enthusiast gamer's perspective) in many BTO configurations, not to talk about OEMs.

If the market's there: What's the reason for it? Me not looking in the right places might be one of them, as I'm not the average buyer of stock-built PCs.

So what can an 80SP card do in terms of gaming? I haven't thought about that side of the market for so long that I just have to think quite hard about what they are actually used for.

So what benefit does someone who buys a computer with a lovely little HD 5450 derive from his card? Does the card act mainly as a Sims + WOW accellerator along with a little flash accelleration and encoding?

So what market does a little card like that benefit, I don't understand maybe Dave can shed some light on the expected useage of their little 5450 card?

I wonder too.

It will be interesting to see what Cedar is capable of, compared to RV710 and with DX11 features, but I'm not that optimistic as, for me, even Juniper is already quite limited with moderately high settings.

If performance is good enough with DC and tessellation becomes a dominant feature in games and is useable, I think it will be good enough in the end.

Hey guys.

I just finished some 5850s Crossfire benchmarks (34 of them) which include a quick CPU comparison between a Core i7-860 and a Q9550. Posted over at Vrzone (IMG tag limitation does not allow me to post it in B3D as well).

I had also done a more thorough CPU test with a single 5850 which you can find in VRZ also.

Back