Votes: 28 18.1%
  • Very late this year

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not until next year

Votes: 69 44.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Any of the reviews got a die shot?

Guru3D has a pic captioned "Radeon HD 5870 GPU wafer" on page 9 but its a Phenom II.

This caught my attention:

The “new” member of the Evergreen family is Juniper, a part born out of the fact that Cypress was too big. Juniper is the part that’s going to let AMD compete in the <$200 category that the 4850 was launched in. It’s going to be a cut-down version of Cypress, and we know from AMD’s simulation testing that it’s going to be a 14 SIMD part. We would wager that it’s going to lose some ROPs too. As AMD does not believe they’re particularly bandwidth limited at this time with GDDR5, we wouldn’t be surprised to see a smaller bus too (perhaps 192bit?). Juniper based cards are expected in the November timeframe.

from Anand

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=3

The “new” member of the Evergreen family is Juniper, a part born out of the fact that Cypress was too big. Juniper is the part that’s going to let AMD compete in the <$200 category that the 4850 was launched in. It’s going to be a cut-down version of Cypress, and we know from AMD’s simulation testing that it’s going to be a 14 SIMD part. We would wager that it’s going to lose some ROPs too. As AMD does not believe they’re particularly bandwidth limited at this time with GDDR5, we wouldn’t be surprised to see a smaller bus too (perhaps 192bit?). Juniper based cards are expected in the November timeframe.
If that's Juniper, does that mean Redwood is the chip that's 181mm²?

Why do I get the feeling that anandtech's article is horribly confused, generally.

Jawed

so, who's the first to say that AMD cherry picked benches of 5870 vs Gtx295 ?
:p

I said it last night, on my blog :)
Something like "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". And it was :)

I'll be doing a follow-up tonight, now that I have some data from independent reviews, which I can compare my opinions and expectations to, and some new insights/predictions for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=3

If that's Juniper, does that mean Redwood is the chip that's 181mm²?

Why do I get the feeling that anandtech's article is horribly confused, generally.

Jawed

Redwood shouldn't be that big (180 for 128-bit)... 180-190-260 are probably aimed at the same segment anyway.

For 1120/56/16/192 180mm2 makes it seem that they removed some extras. DP FP again, and the SAD instructions?

15fps more than gtx295 at dawn of war 2 I would say its a good card to get.
50fps more in call of juarez, its destroying the gtx295.
Using 5870 crossfire, its not even a fight.

If I decided between get a old tech card as Nvidia offers vs a new one that offers at least similar performance and use new tech and new tempting eyefinity, there is simply no contest at all from Nvidia.
For me Nvidias has old tech, renaming the old tech to look as new tech, its not a compelling reason to get a Nvidia card.

Now, some might not look at the new tech is avaible, but I use my card at around a 2 year time period, my 4870 is now 16months old and in that time new games take advantages of the new tech. In the games I play, LOTRO dx 10, COH dx10.
Only game that dosnt is BF2, but then again DICE suck ass in regard to the supporting the games they put out.

If a gamedeveloper had the guts and I call them out to make a game, as fun and new where people would upgrade thier hardware for it, as Everquest did, as battlefield did, and not make games for the present hardware people have, then we be having a field day from ati.

If the game is worthy, people buy hardware to play it.
Make sims4, and you see girls shopping ati cards like no tomorow if it was dx11 only.

Anyway, the 5870 is pretty much a double 4890, and their clock speed is the same. So why isn't the performance anywhere near that? Is it all down to memory bandwidth?

If a gamedeveloper had the guts and I call them out to make a game, as fun and new where people would upgrade thier hardware for it, as Everquest did, as battlefield did, and not make games for the present hardware people have, then we be having a field day from ati.

If the game is worthy, people buy hardware to play it.
Make sims4, and you see girls shopping ati cards like no tomorow if it was dx11 only.

Sorry but you are way too optimistic about this. Most players are not able and/or willing to exchange their graphics adapter. The buy complete systems. If your game doesn’t run on their system most of them would not buy the game.

Anyway, the 5870 is pretty much a double 4890, and their clock speed is the same. So why isn't the performance anywhere near that? Is it all down to memory bandwidth?
I don't think that BW is the reason - HD5870 performs very well with MSAA 8x, which is BW demanding. A few percents could be consumed by emulated interpolation, but I think the main reason are drivers. We'll see soon...

I don't think that BW is the reason - HD5870 performs very well with MSAA 8x, which is BW demanding. A few percents could be consumed by emulated interpolation, but I think the main reason are drivers. We'll see soon...

Depending how well the compression works 8x needs not that much more bandwidth then 4x. Its eating memory and the down sampling will be more expansive.

Having read only the first four of the reviews i posted earlier , i would like to state that i am very impressed by the efficiency of the new ATIs and especially the idle power and temps, but as far as performance goes and since i had a 4870X2 for a year, i am not that impressed.

Now the 5850, at it's price range, is much more attractive. I think a little overclock, will cover most of the distance it has from the 5870 and make it even better value.

I expected more at Crysis. Much more. My hopes now lay at the 5870X2 and the GT300.

According to Anandtech, the 5870 shows a greater performance drop for enabling 4xAA and 8xAA than the 4870.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3643&p=15

Remember that even the (comparatively) bandwidth starved 4850 showed very good AA performance.

Edit: though Firingsquad's benchmarks show the opposite :/

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_hd_5870_performance_preview/page20.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean dumping heated air into the case, I hope they continue exhausting it out the back. A single card setup wouldn't matter as much as a multi-card setup dumping that heat into the case.
I agree, it's the best solution for the majority ... but if you have a good case you can get lower temperatures and a more silent system with internal exhaust.

Easier to get rid of the heat through large exhaust fans than a dozen or so slits in half a backplate.

Back