Best of E3 2008

R2 leviathan battle wasn't all that impressive imo. It looks as if all the resources were focused on the monster leaving the building's interiors very spartan and simple looking. I've seen better boss battles in RE4.

My favourite's in no particular order are:

Resistance 2

The Leviathan battle looks very cool. He did actually knock the 2 top floors off of that building after the bridge. If you look carefully you can see the walls missing. Its just hard to see because the player is looking down all the time and there is very little debris. I hope we'll get to see the 8 player co-op soon.

Resistanc Retribution

One of the very few surprise announcements this year. Its made by the same developer that made the 2 Syphon Filter PSP games Bend Studio. Th e one stick controls were very good in those games, so it should be even better here with all the improvements they made. I've seen PSP games get very close to their PS2 counterparts. (Daxter and God of War). It will be interesting to see if they can get close to the look and feel and scale of the PS3 games. And what they ad or remove to make it better suited for PSP.

Killzone 2

Still looks great as always. The newly announced online feature sound great. The ingame clanladder avoids the need for a dedicated site and should make arranging clanwars a lot easier. This has a lot more community support than other games that focus on teamwork. Maybe it will get players to work together for a change.

LittleBigPlanet

The Construction Site level has everything you would expect from a normal game. Can't wait to see if I can recreate that myself. And this is another game that seems to have excellent community support. Being able to share levels aesily and keeping track of the global rankings for them. Getting rewarded for actively participating in the community should give quality content a nice boost.

Ratched & Clank: Quest for Booty

Paying 15 dollars for a 4 hours game is better than paying 60 dollars for 10 hours. Its good to see big developers take PSN games and DLC so seriously. This sort of contect is what I expect their new studio to be working on.

And the games I expected to be announced sooner or later:

God of War 3 an Locoroco 2.

Shattered glass? You mean those translucent grey triangles?
I agree about the texturing in this game. It seems to be lacking detail compared to a lot of other shooters.

I didnt find any direct feed videos to be able to judge.

But overally even if the video shown isnt direct feed it is one of the most impressive scenes I ve ever seen in a game

Last edited by a moderator:
My picks from the show are:

Resistance 2
Killzone 2
Gears of War 2
Resident Evil 5
Mirror's Edge

And thats it.

I found this year's E3 the most boring of all.

Btw anyone seen the latest footage of Bioshock for the PS3? Doesnt look as good as I hoped

That's a good call. L4D looks like one to the best of the year.

The only video I found on Live was not game play, so where is the real stuff?

Edit: I found the dev walk through on GT. Looks like it could be fun, but it seems like it would be a better $30 Live game. How many hours can you mow down zombies before you get bored? The graphics are very Source circa 2004 too.

LBP
KZ2 Multiplayer
Prince of Persia
MS2
Mirror's Edge

The only thing that looked good in the R2 demo was the boss.

Crysis Warhead
Far Cry 2
Read Alert 3

Perhaps Fallout 3 but I got turned off by seeing the AI and animations... but apart from that... yeah.

Title says it all. Gotta say I'm digging the new Prince of Persia. Reminds me of a juiced up Ico.

I thought of Ico too, but the chick in PoP seem more useful.

Is PoP coming from the same developers as Assassins Creed?

Some unexpected games include Tom Clancy's HAWX. 4-player co-op as well as multiplayer. Detailed ground. What would make it interesting is if in a multiplayer game, you could control AA defenses on the ground.

Rage is more then good looking, I'll probably get that game just for going around in that enviroment...

Game of the show: Little Big Planet, and I was too trying to avoid the game, but it keeps hunting me.

Best potential: Mirror's Edge

The games I'm impressed with more than I was before (gfxwise):
Motorstorm 2 (shocking improvement)
Killzone 2
Banjoo NB (If only they had better character models)

Games that disappointed me one way or another:
Fallout 3
PoP
Infamous
RE5

Games I keep hearing good things but haven't seen anything yet:
Dead Space
Left 4 Dead
Far Cry 2

Most overrated game (for what's being shown):
Rage

Why were you dissapointed with Resi5?

Graphically it doesn't have the out-of-this world look of the original trailer (which wasn't technically very impressive but looked very good).
But more importantly it looks like RE4. Zombies run very fast only to stop in front of you, waiting for their turn to attack. While I don't care much about realism or anything, if the primary point of a game is slow and inaccurate shooting with the sole purpose of bringing stress to player, there is seriously something wrong with that game design.

R2 leviathan battle wasn't all that impressive imo. It looks as if all the resources were focused on the monster leaving the building's interiors very spartan and simple looking. I've seen better boss battles in RE4.

That's because the player's focus is meant to be on the monster. It's a scripted boss-fight people, please use some common sense when attempting to analyze this (or any other) game.

That's because the player's focus is meant to be on the monster. It's a scripted boss-fight people, please use some common sense when attempting to analyze this (or any other) game.

There's nothing to analyze, the interiors look like crap period. I don't care if the focus is supposed to be on the monster or not, the environments still need to look good for me to be impressed.

Back