Official MS E3 press conference thread

Apartment is a personal space where you can invite folks to come over, or to share media with.

well i understand it's not the same as Home but I just described (above) Live Party as being able invite 7 additional folks to your party with 3D avatars and a visual representation of the space (although not as detailed as a Home apartment by any means) to share media and hang out as well as launch into games and chat... so you can see why I think it is similar. not identical of course.

well i understand it's not the same as Home but I just described (above) Live Party as being able invite folks to your party (on your dashboard) with 3D avatars and a visual representation of the space (although not as detailed as a Home apartment by any means) to share media as well as launch into games and chat... so you can see why I think it is similar. not identical of course.

I am just pointing out that it's not an "apartment" ^_^
That term is reserved for another use.

Now that I think about it... In R1, we can have 20 men in our party for a 40 player game. So I certainly hope that there is no 8 player limit in Home.

I am just pointing out that it's not an "apartment" ^_^
Now that I think about it... In R1, we can have 20 men in our party for a 40 player game. So I certainly hope that there is no 8 player limit in Home.

yea in game lobbies and clans allow a lot bigger party of friends to play games as well on 360, just not in a Live 3D Party. ;)

Right, having that limit in a party would mean we have to break up our group once we jump from R1 (or rather R2) to another game.

Right, having that limit in a party would mean we have to break up our group once we jump from R1 (or rather R2) to another game.

yes if you have a tight knit group that large, it will suck if party size is limited in the Apartment.

Most parties in the ~6 years I've been playing on Live are less than 8.

We have maybe a group of 3-6 that will gather for Halo or CoD matches to play against others but of course most of those game are total 8-24 player affairs.I think CoD3 was the biggest at 32 and we still rarely got more than 6 together at one time. Safe to say 20 party groups would be handled as Clans and are the exception rather than the norm, at least on LIVE.

You can still send in game invites and have the others join you in the in game lobby too after the party launches.

To be clear, the 8 player limit may or may not exist in Home game launching. I just don't know yet.

From past experiences, sometimes we play against each other too (e.g., 4 vs 4, 8 vs 8, or deathmatch for 10-12 individual players). May also come in handy for 16 player racing (GT5:p, when they have patched in Home support). I think Warhawk supports 12 on the average (up to 24 max). Resistance is the odd one with 40 players (up to 64 in R2).

The party size can be average to big because we post (manual) invites on forums. In any case, we will know more tomorrow. Don't want to derail this thread.

Looking back today, the gaming announcements + all the changes in the fall update really has me excited.

A good stat that got overlooked: $1billion spent on Xbox Live. That's a lot folks and it's the paying members, content owners and such that allow for the r&d and contracts necessary to keep Live varied and rich in content.

Before E3, I thought the 360 platform was stabilizing and maturing. This feels like a whole new console. Props to MS. And much credit to even the anit-ms people around the net who manage to put away their hate for a day and gave credit where it's due. In the end, it's being done due to competition and we all benefit. The 120GB on my Elite look forward to being used up :)

I agree with you PARANIA Full game installs is a huge news.
It's a nice feature, but I can't help but feel MS have a greedy eye on larger HDD sales with their tasty profit margins. 20 GBs is gonna be useless. Everyone who wants this feature is going to need to buy a 60/120 GB HDD, and they can't just get a cheapo replacement 2.5". Instead they have to pony up to MS. I expect many hardcore gamers to buy a larger HDD for the convenience and to shut the DVD drive up, and we'll see MS filing record profits for that quarter!

There is also the matter of piracy. How does the DVD check work? Will an ISO copy be enough to fool it? That'd be a stupid security hole if so, but then MS don't have the world's best security record...

Here's a pic of the new in-game guide:

Picture6.png

The HDD install reminds me of a comment by Rockstar after release of GTA IV, on that Microsoft will have to do something about the storage limitations of DVD. They also mentioned that they knew that they were already working on it. So this HDD install is definitely it.

Oh, and I like the picture above. I didn't like the way the current in-game thing works at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone who wants this feature is going to need to buy a 60/120 GB HDD, and they can't just get a cheapo replacement 2.5". Instead they have to pony up to MS. I expect many hardcore gamers to buy a larger HDD for the convenience and to shut the DVD drive up, and we'll see MS filing record profits for that quarter

Yup. Or switch to a new machine. I saw that one coming when they announced the DRM copy tool a couple of months ago.

A lot of users are ready for a new, bigger, more silent system. And a smaller brick. ;)

My 20GB system is going to a friend later this year...

The HDD install reminds me of a comment by Rockstar after release of GTA IV, on that Microsoft will have to do something about the storage limitations of DVD. They also mentioned that they knew that they were already working on it. So this HDD install is definitely it.

Oh, and I like the picture above. I didn't like the way the current in-game thing works at all.

yea it could be one way to make life easier with multiple disc games, for sure!

I like the fact that it is optional though as games that do not benefit from it (loading or pop in), I won't do it. Especially if I only had a 20 GB HDD still.

I may do it on a game to game basis. Install for one or two games at a time and as I tire of them remove my the game data and rely only on the disk for future sporadic playing. One doesnt need a ton of storage simply because the data doesnt need to stay on the HDD forever (of course if they are a data miser then one can never have enough storage.)

I think the critics of the HDD install are ignoring the simple fact that it's optional. MS have implemented a highly demanded (by geeks ;) ) optional feature, and you complain about it? That simply doesn't add up.

Like I said before, it's a mockery of the mandatory PS3 installs that take 3-4gb per game - and it's completely optional, so you can have a faster, quieter game, or you can pop it in and play. Best of both worlds, rather than sitting in the middle a la Sony.

The HDD install reminds me of a comment by Rockstar after release of GTA IV, on that Microsoft will have to do something about the storage limitations of DVD. They also mentioned that they knew that they were already working on it. So this HDD install is definitely it

Actually it's not it at all - it an option to speed up your game and make your gaming experience a silent one.

Interesting point Shifty, piracy could be a concern especially for editors.
It's still not the time for MS to lose their confidence.
Piracy is a double edge sword, easy piracy would help MS to built quickly a way bigger user base (sad but true) but editor could react badly if sales go down too much.
EDIT

I would like to add that MS should not have done the FFXIII announcement in the same conf.
OK internet is melting, but other titles who deserve Hype and praise are completely ignore.
It will be tougher to built hype, for fable2, GeoW II, exclusive contents, etc. if an event as the E3 is no use.

Most stuffs Ms put out are ignored by internet population.

I wonder if the option of installing games to HDD was a requirement from developers such as Square Enix, also I'm willing to bet that install isn't optional in case of FFXIII.
Some good news for xbox360 owners for sure, but as an owner of Wii and PS3, I can't help but the feel of the MS conference was a bit "Mee Too"ish.
Also, there was surprisingly little new that was announced.

I wonder if the option of installing games to HDD was a requirement from developers such as Square Enix, also I'm willing to bet that install isn't optional in case of FFXIII.
Some good news for xbox360 owners for sure, but as an owner of Wii and PS3, I can't help but the feel of the MS conference was a bit "Mee Too"ish.
Also, there was surprisingly little new that was announced.

I'm sure it will be optional in all games .

Its just square didn't want people flipping through 4 or 5 discs .

Regardless , I just want them to come out with fast hardrives for this . a 120 gig 72000rpm 16 meg cache drive like the new western digitals would be nice.

Regardless , I just want them to come out with cheap hardrives for this .
Fixed ;)

@radidrabbit: what makes you think FFXIII will be so especially demanding it will need an install? JRPGs are the last kind of game I'd expect that in. FWIW the only games requiring an install on 360 IIRC are FFXI (an MMO) and that football manager.

Actually it's not it at all - it an option to speed up your game and make your gaming experience a silent one.

Those are the only reasons you think? I don't buy that for a second. At the very least they'll want to go for full downloads of games. But I'm 100% sure this is done at least in part to alleviate disc-storage issues. And don't forget there are already a few mandatory HDD install games for the 360, aren't there?

It wont allow larger games really..the games are still going to have to play off the HDD-less Arcade system, even large games with multiple discs.

Besides, HDD installs to me are more a force that drives game sizes down not vice versa, look at all these PS3 games doing 5-7 GB installs, that makes me wonder what the 25GB on Blu Ray is for, if you're basically going to boil it down to 5-7GB. From what I know of PS3, the installs typically take some 30 minutes, so now are you going to increase that even more to go bigger? That's the limiting factor, install time is slow.

Back