LucidLogix Hydra, madness?

Did I really hear him correctly at about 3:15 into the interview that the chip is 23mm per side? I seem to remember them saying the new chip is in 90nm, but that's >500mm^2. For reference a G71 was ~200mm^2 and R580 was ~300mm^2, both on 90nm.

Edit: actually it looks like the Hydra 200 is on 65nm. If it really is 23mm per side, that makes it about the same size as a the 65nm GT200.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get it. There's the distinct potential for different boards, especially from different vendors, to render different pixels for any given frame. That's a huge barrier to it working properly, never mind mismatched performance and the potential for that to pollute the experience.

What am I missing?

I don't get it. There's the distinct potential for different boards, especially from different vendors, to render different pixels for any given frame. That's a huge barrier to it working properly, never mind mismatched performance and the potential for that to pollute the experience.

What am I missing?

So far it's not yet rendering from different vendors. But I am wondering what kind of drivers need to be installed. Are they intercepting all graphics calls?

What am I missing?

No different than people using two different quality monitors. If one chooses to take the hit and adapt to the differences, that is their choice, no?

No different than people using two different quality monitors. If one chooses to take the hit and adapt to the differences, that is their choice, no?
It's much worse than that, especially for geometry processing. If the 2 chips produce just slightly different rounded results for geometry you can easily have parts of the scene moving around by a few pixels between frames depending on how the workload is split. Also within a single frame you can have clipping errors and holes in the scene where polys don't quite line up like they should.

Nvidia's 3d stereo drivers occasionally have issues dealing with geometry not matching for the left/right variant images, and that's on 2 identical cards on a very controlled pipeline.

If it was simply an issue of slightly different texture filtering implementations it wouldn't be too huge of a deal, but still would be annoying. Geometry differences can completely break the scene.

I'm interested in seeing the results with a singular vendor more than I am from multiple vendors. If it does 90% to 100% scaling in all titles that would be justification enough for the existence of the product.

Yes, there is nothing they can do that NVIDIA/AMD can't do themselves ... but there are things NVIDIA/AMD can do which they can't.

Yeah, I'll reserve judgment for when it's actually available in retail, but it really seems to me that if this sort of thing is actually possible, then ATI and Nvidia have been Doing It Wrong (TM) for the last long while with Crossfire and SLI.

I can assume communication is a lot better on the Hydra200 board. the Chip assumes command of the Graphics Lanes to the Lynfields. Reducing overhead on communication. Especially since inter card traffic over PCIe doesn't need to pass through to the CPU but stays on the hydra.

One way to truly scale performance is if setup and composition happens on the Hydra.

Back