The Final Fantasy XIII XB360 announcement discussion* (spawned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
game development costs are so big nowadays that we'll see less and less third party exclusives. It's a good thing, because people who can't afford two consoles will now be able to play most of the best games on both xbox360 and PS3.

Another interesting point from the same Square Enix press conference: they intend to finish the PS3 version, start localization and THEN start working on the 360 port. This is either insanity, or the greatest praise for 360 ease of development MS could ever get.
They are using a proprietary multyplataform engine. It's not like they will port it from 0.

And frankly, I dont' care if it comes on 1 disc or 4! why? because I can install all games to the HDD going forward :D
You will need to change disks for using the disks installs. Disk installs will only reduce load times and noise, you still need the disk inside the Xbox 360.

You will need to change disks for using the disks installs. Disk installs will only reduce load times and noise, you still need the disk inside the Xbox 360.

But do you need to change the disc on multi disc games . We have no info on that , just that the disc has to be in the drive , that can mean only disc one

And frankly, I dont' care if it comes on 1 disc or 4! why? because I can install all games to the HDD going forward :D

Yes but if a game comes with 1 or 4 disc(s) it still only need the main disc inserted. There will be no need to switch between discs while progressing ingame for a multi-disc game.

Yes but if a game comes with 1 or 4 disc(s) it still only need the main disc inserted. There will be no need to switch between discs while progressing ingame for a multi-disc game.

Right it wouldn't make sense any other way.

For example. i buy ff13 and its a 5 disc game (just for the example )

I Install it to my hardrive and start playing it . I get up to the second disc and now you take my first disc (after installing it to your hardrive ) and start the game on the second disc. I get to the third disc and give you the second , your on the second disc and give the first to deathkiller .

Now 3 people are playing 1 copy of the game. MS and Square just lost 2 sales .

Now sure you can make the arguement that I can install the game and beat it adn give it to a friend , however we are still talking about me investing massive amounts of time into it and of course having to loose acess to the game while your playing with it . Not a huge deal if i've already beaten ff13 . However if that person could wait a month or two for me to finish they most likely weren't going to buy it or wait for a used copy anyway

Except the only thing that really needs to be downloaded is the core game, most of the cutscenes can stay on disc.

You could simply have the cutscenes located on a couple of disc with one considered the main disc and the download discs which would only be needed during installation. The main disc would be needed to start every game. This way you could minimize the switching of discs while not being able to freely and easily have all your friends just rip your game on their hdd and play away.

Both FFVIII and FFIX had 4 disc's. You usually had to play for a good 10 hours just sticking to the story before you had to change the disc. So you end up changing disc's just as often as you would playing shorter games. Besides the game is very linear so it can easily be cut in 4 pieces.

I don't think it will be more than three even if they have to use lower quality FMV.

They better not!!! :devilish:

For comparison:

Lost Odyssey is 4 DVDs..

In the game there's probably only an hour or 2's worth of HD cgi fmv footage which leads one to believe that the rest of the disc storage is taken up by game content..

The last FF game must have had upwards of 3-4 hours worth of fmv which leads one to believe FFXIII may have a similar amount of HD footage. Added to that the vast array of HD game content for the game & I find it hard to believe how they're going to ship this game on any less than 5-6 DVDs..

IMO 5 DVDs is a f***ing joke & may very well lead to forced compression in fmv, audio, texture sizes etc just to bring it down to a more reasonable 4 discs.

I hope not but to be honest I don't find it particularly likely that at least some degree of compression in the 360 version won't be employed..

In the game there's probably only an hour or 2's worth of HD cgi fmv footage which leads one to believe that the rest of the disc storage is taken up by game content..

Do you know if the content was 720p :?:

I hope not but to be honest I don't find it particularly likely that at least some degree of compression in the 360 version won't be employed..

Indeed :(

Wow huge announcement. Unfortunately I'll have no internet connection for a week after this comment so I can't follow all new info, it really sucks in an occasion like this ;)

Strangely, FFXIII Versus is still PS3 exclusive.
The main FF series are sure sellers, while a spinoff like Versus is not. Dirge of Cerberus was not a decent seller for an FF game, it makes sense to make sure-sellers multiplatform first. In other words, established games are more likely to become multiplatform, so PS3's only hope for exclusiveness lies in experimental titles. Versus is Nomura's venture. From the management standpoint, it's really unthinkable to pass after GTA4 multiplatform sales.

Phhhfpt ! Let the market absorb the hit. I am interested to see the effect of FFXIII going multi-platform.
The stock market is very quick to respond :smile:

This is the biggest bombshell of this generation so far. I know the Sony fans will now try their best to downplay and dismiss FF13 but along with MGS4 and GT5, this is the one game they loved to throw down repeatedly in list wars. Hell, it's one of the games Sony loved to flaunt and show off.

If you stick to your "console war" point of view, which probably means the hardware install-base race, what matters the most now is how they can imitate the Wii success, not getting an RPG game. It's not Sony fans downplaying FF13, but the market does. For SquareEnix's future more FF13 sales on multiplatform = instant success, but for hardware, it's no different from GTA4's effect on hardware sales. FF13's sales won't surpass Wii Sports. SquareEnix executives realized it, so now they've accepted what they can do now for better profit. I guess it's what Sony executives are thinking too when they decided not to pursue exclusivity (unless Stringer and Chubachi are really tight on the SCE budget as rumored).

Until is announced that it will be that way I wouldn't assume so. It would be the best way to support multi-disk games but as far I know there is no official word about that.

Until is announced that it will be that way I wouldn't assume so. It would be the best way to support multi-disk games but as far I know there is no official word about that.

I already pointed out that on multiple disc titles if you require a diffrent disc as you progress to that content , your basicly givng the game free to that users friend.

my example is ff13 . Its 5 discs say. I install it and finish disc 1. I let u install and now borrow disc 1. When i finish disc 2 and y ou finish disc 1 , you now borrow disc 2 and we let my friend Jim borrow disc 1. Now i'm on disc 4 and your on 3 and Jim is on disc 2 and kelly is on disc 1 .

however if you allways require disc 1 in the drive then the above can't happen. Disc 2-5 are just for install purposes or if the person wants to play off disc .

The above would make the game require a HDD to play. Why would they add that sort of "sharing protection"? It sounds silly and pointless... I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Sharing discs in multi-disc games has been here since the PS1. It's extremely niche and hardly killing sales of said games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back