Lips

iceberg187

Regular
Here are the first photos of Lips for Xbox 360 developed by Japanese studio iNiS ( Elite Beat Agents). Scheduled for November 2008, this new karaoke game will be playable with two wireless interactive microphones that react with the player movements and voice. You can also see that the microphones will have light indicators. We hope to get more information of Lips during E3.

72211320080711_012310_0_big.jpg

72211320080711_012310_1_big.jpg

Just for the sake of discussion *ahem*, why do you say that?

Indeed, some of these aren't exactly games, but at least 'Hevikaraoke' (Heavy Karaoke) is damn popular with the people I know when people get home to continue great evening at bar - I mean, what could beat dozen really, realy drunk people growling together almost reading the lyrics? :LOL:
Now add up "game" to it and you can be sure your apartment is ruins after the night when someone does better than the next, could nights actually go any better than that? :cool:

gitaroo man
gitaroo.jpg

ouendan
ouendan.jpg

lips
72211320080711_012310_0_big.jpg

for some reason i get the feeling inis had very little input with lips..

hopefully they will use some of that ms money to fund a new gitaroo man game

and yeah Freak'n Big Panda is right

scene it failed
eyetoy copy failed
singstar copy will fail

hell even singstar failed on ps3

only place for these kind of games are on ps2 and wii

Indeed, some of these aren't exactly games, but at least 'Hevikaraoke' (Heavy Karaoke) is damn popular with the people I know when people get home to continue great evening at bar - I mean, what could beat dozen really, realy drunk people growling together almost reading the lyrics? :LOL:
Now add up "game" to it and you can be sure your apartment is ruins after the night when someone does better than the next, could nights actually go any better than that? :cool:

lol That's true. Although as fjuri pointed out, it seems like a game suited towards the lower-priced "family" consoles. I'm curious to see if those rumoured features will be true regarding custom user songlists

Just for the sake of discussion *ahem*, why do you say that?

Well a couple reasons:

1. The 360 doesn't really have a user base that is drawn towards these types of games. So unless this brings a lot of new stuff to the table it's not going to draw consumers attention
2. I don't believe this game will offer anything new to the table

EDIT: I've noticed a trend with M$ in which they identify a market trend (in this case music/karaoke games) and then try to buy their way into it and 9/10 times it ends in failure. You'd think they would learn but no they don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mics looks nice. If they work for Rock Band and GHWT, it'd be cool. One thing we know is that we don't know consumers. That's why companies try new things and see if the mass market bites. It could bomb, do ok or be a great success. The market will decide that.

I like how you keep hearing "shooter box!" but when MS does try to do something different, people are waiting at the keyboards itching to typed "fail!"

Well a couple reasons:

1. The 360 doesn't really have a user base that is drawn towards these types of games. So unless this brings a lot of new stuff to the table it's not going to draw consumers attention

EDIT: I've noticed a trend with M$ in which they identify a market trend (in this case music/karaoke games) and then try to buy their way into it and 9/10 times it ends in failure. You'd think they would learn but no they don't.

The bolded spoke louder than your answer did.

Actually a lot of those types of games sell better than you think. They just don't tend to front load their sales the way AAA (highly anticipated on forums) games do. I'm not saying its going to sell millions but it probably doesn't need to do so to be considered a success by the publishers.

I'm not sure you could consider Scene It a flop.

scene it failed
eyetoy copy failed
singstar copy will fail

Just like Rock Band, the Guitar Hero copy, failed?
Or Forza, the GT copy, failed?
If you blame Microsoft and are willing to go further in time, Word vs WordPerfect? Excel vs. 1-2-3?

only place for these kind of games are on ps2 and wii

Only place for these kind of games is on the sub-$200 consoles. Which, by the time this game ships in November, the 360 will probably be.

I'm crying at work trying not to laugh out loud at the gifs the GAFers have made with the box art.

BTW Scene-It is pretty good, I got it as a gift. I'm sure it could be much better, but it's not bad.

Just like Rock Band, the Guitar Hero copy, failed?
Or Forza, the GT copy, failed?
If you blame Microsoft and are willing to go further in time, Word vs WordPerfect? Excel vs. 1-2-3?

Only place for these kind of games is on the sub-$200 consoles. Which, by the time this game ships in November, the 360 will probably be.

my point wasnt that they failed because they're copies of sony games but because they're super casual

forza is not super casual

and rock band is not much of a success compared to guitar hero which is at least as hardcore friendly as it is casual friendly

and even if the 360 is sub $200 why would casuals pick it up when they already have a wii? oh right they wont

Last edited by a moderator:
if you stop being an overly defensive xbot you might be able to see my point
If you stop being overly offensive, yada yada.

my point wasnt that they failed because they're copies of sony games but because they're super casual
Than make your point clear next time. And please tell me why does expanding the market for 360 is a bad move? You think there are millions of HC gamers left, willing to buy 360? Or perhaps you think MS is ok not to sell any more consoles?

and rock band is not much of a success compared to guitar hero which is at least as hardcore friendly as it is casual friendly
Probably sold less copies (it's way more expensive) but, surprise, surprise, the amount of DLC sold is way above what GH did. If RB was such a flop, why would next GH be like RB?

and even if the 360 is sub $200 why would casuals pick it up when they already have a wii? oh right they wont
So from now on Wii will sell 0 units? Because it seems you think there's no more casual gamers left...

Wha?! Why would people want better (or at least HD) games systems? Ever? Is this the end of consoles as we know them? Only Wiis from now on? Oh noes.

If MS decides to push their console into a mass market price point then stuff like this will sell. Fanboys will be fanboys and MS did name their product stupidly but it's better this than another FPS, and a karaoke game makes their system more attractive to people they're not currently selling to.

Not to drag this off-topic, but if I was Sony or MS then I'd just bite the bullet and look foolish for a bit and come out with a Wiimote knock-off and my own bunch of waggle games and be done with it.

Well a couple reasons:

So you're suggesting that people using 360 don't get drunk? :p
I assure you, anyone getting drunk enough will enjoy the game no matter how much it would suck sober, if you get to sing in it ;)
It's all about getting the right songs for it
*goes writing the developers to add several finnish black metal songs to the game*

Wow, Ms tries to fill in some holes in its already voluminous catalog and shed the (mis-)perception that's all shooters, and people have to come in and bash it?

Is singstar the only karaoke game allowed ? sheesh

Probably sold less copies (it's way more expensive) but, surprise, surprise, the amount of DLC sold is way above what GH did. If RB was such a flop, why would next GH be like RB?
Wasn't there also a lot less GH3 DLC released? I don't think anyone can say RB was a flop, possibly only if you speak relatively (as fjuri did), but I don't think it stole much of GH's mindshare, other than among the 'game-savvy'. The rest (and likely a big portion of GH3's umpteen million copies sold) probably bought GH3 because it comes after GH2.

Actually a lot of those types of games sell better than you think. They just don't tend to front load their sales the way AAA (highly anticipated on forums) games do. I'm not saying its going to sell millions but it probably doesn't need to do so to be considered a success by the publishers.

I'm not sure you could consider Scene It a flop.

Does anyone have any idea why Singstar (PS2 or PS3) hasn't been a huge hit in NA? I've seen people say that that's because Europeans like karaoke games more, which, despite being a self-fulfilling prophecy makes no sense. Song selection?

Wasn't there also a lot less GH3 DLC released? I don't think anyone can say RB was a flop, possibly only if you speak relatively (as fjuri did), but I don't think it stole much of GH's mindshare, other than among the 'game-savvy'. The rest (and likely a big portion of GH3's umpteen million copies sold) probably bought GH3 because it comes after GH2.

IIRC, Rockband is over 3 million sold.

Does anyone have any idea why Singstar (PS2 or PS3) hasn't been a huge hit in NA? I've seen people say that that's because Europeans like karaoke games more, which, despite being a self-fulfilling prophecy makes no sense. Song selection?

I think song selections has something to do with it and the ability to get new songs.

Back