Possibly the best PS3 peripheral

I also think it's an outrage to keep that same basic design for over 10 years, I honestly could not believe my eyes when I saw it announced. Why can't Sony release another controller as peripheral, so that we who like asymmetrical thumbstick position and usable triggers can have nice gaming experiences with that machine?!... No need to do anything about d-pad though.

I think the sixaxis is more than good enough. The only thing I like better on the 360 controller is the bigger triggers - they are more precise, and less prone to accidental pressing when putting the controller down. The analog sticks also seem slightly better for FPS, but it's a minor differnece. Otherwise, the DS3 is more than good enough for me.

A big plus for the DS3 for me is the symmetrical design. It doesn't favor left or right handed and it just works well. I'm sure that for certain types of hands other controllers could be better, but that's for third parties to solve. Also, all the buttons on the sixaxis are analog (as they were on the DS2). That's a big plus imho, even though it isn't always used (I wish it was used more often) - if you play a game like GT, you can actually play it with x and square for accellerate and brake quite well because of it - experienced players do both with just one thumb, sometimes at the same time.

Also, let's not forget that Sony designed the boomerang controller for the PS3 initially, but they reverted to the DS3 design by popular (press and others who tried it) demand, though in retrospect had people known about the motion controls they might have changed their minds.

And of course I've been a proponent of the motion controls a looooooooooooong time already. ;)

Also, let's not forget that Sony designed the boomerang controller for the PS3 initially, but they reverted to the DS3 design by popular (press and others who tried it) demand, though in retrospect had people known about the motion controls they might have changed their minds.

And of course I've been a proponent of the motion controls a looooooooooooong time already. ;)

From what tear-down pages I've seen on the sixaxis, Sony is using a single IC, centered on the sixaxis mainboard, to handle the motion detection. I'd have been much happier if they had put multiple sensors at the extremities of the controller casing. That way they'd be able to get much better sensitivity to rotation. The sixaxis just seems too dodgy in the motion control games I've tried.

I vastly prefer the PS3 controller - gears would be much better with symmetry of the sticks.

The guy that is doing this is RDC at the Xbox-Scene forums. He's been doing this with all kinds of controllers. Here's another one...

3PS60020.jpg

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=652308

Tommy McClain

I d love to order two of these. One for the 360 and one for the PS3

When I play VF5 at my friend's 360 I find the 360 controller inaccurate, and when we play VF5 at my home my friend finds difficulty with the Dual Shock.

These controllers would solve the problem for us

I vastly prefer the PS3 controller - gears would be much better with symmetry of the sticks.
Yeah, in this age of dual-stick controlled games, particularly FPSes, the original XB controller advantage is actually lost. The most used controllers aren't in the most ergonomic place. In these cases I prefer the symmetry.

Nesh said:
I d love to order two of these. One for the 360 and one for the PS3
When I play VF5 at my friend's 360 I find the 360 controller inaccurate, and when we play VF5 at my home my friend finds difficulty with the Dual Shock.
These controllers would solve the problem for us
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the console companies had a standard for controllers that was open for controller sharing and 3rd party designs, so all the different people with different tastes could all be satisfied with controllers suited to them, rather than forced to accomodate a different controller...

Hopefully the rumoured new shape-shifting PS3 will be a big blob of Plasticine with the buttons and sticks as modules you can slap in wherever you want?! :D

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the console companies had a standard for controllers that was open for controller sharing and 3rd party designs, so all the different people with different tastes could all be satisfied with controllers suited to them, rather than forced to accomodate a different controller...

Ben Heck has been working on customizable controller for people with physical limitations. Not really a hand held controller. You can place it on a flat surface or your lap...

access_callout.jpg

Each one of the round silver modules can be rearranged. He's taking pre-orderes right now.

http://benheck.com/

Tommy McClain

I disagree. IMO Warhawk proves it as a great input system. Flying around with the subtle tilts is very intuitive (when set up right) and comfortable. IMO a proof of concept isn't required, only some smarter IO developers who get to grips with the motion system!

SIXAXIS does have a handful of great concepts and implementations (e.g., Folklore is another good one), thanks to the developer community. When I made the "unproven" statement, I was thinking of its mass appeal and overall usefulness. Sony itself has not done a lot of work in SIXAXIS usage. Perhaps there are other higher priority tasks, but regardless of its reasons, I think SIXAXIS's motion control has suffered because of limited prep work on Sony's part. It sent the message that Sony itself was unsure of SIXAXIS.

In comparison...

When the Apple mouse was introduced, the company has already done a fair bit of work characterizing mouse input. They formulated a set of detailed guidelines (what works, what doesn't from end user perspective), and designed a brand new application framework -- not just a library -- built around mouse input.

When Wii was introduced, Nintendo launched a flagship game to showcase its use and bundled it with the hardware (for US and Europe ?).

When Sony introduced SIXAXIS, they showed a Warhawk prototype in E3. The game didn't even ship until months later. Meanwhile, PS3 had no use for SIXAXIS motion control.

I giggle when I read complaints about the ds3 or 360 pad. Both of these controllers are heaven on earth compared to some abominations of the past.

I'm big on my retro stuff so I am often playing with a wide variety of controllers.

The DSx and the 360 pad are mainly diffenerent in the ergonomic philosophy of the main body shape. The 360's bulbous casing fills the palms while the DSx is more of a skeletal design. Even that is a minor difference. Each has parculiarities like the DS3's bizarre tactile feel fromthe triggers or the 360's decorative d-pad but they both work reeeeally well. It's a matter of preferance and I think it get's blown way out of proprtion.

Especially in the case of the DSx, because it's been around for ten years. Those who think the DSx is so unbearable must have found gaming nearly impossible on a Genesis!

For the record, the DSx is my favorite because it works not just passably but exceptionally in a wide variety of genres. I can steer an F1CE with razor-sharp motion control (the best implementation I've used), shred UT3 with accuracy, weave delicate parries into rushdowns in third strike, take on Megaman X4 with arcade-like button resonsiveness... I like a wide variety of games and I've been using this controller for 10 years to play alot of them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, in this age of dual-stick controlled games, particularly FPSes, the original XB controller advantage is actually lost. The most used controllers aren't in the most ergonomic place. In these cases I prefer the symmetry.

I think there is little difference in terms of better ergonomics between the two different thumbstick layouts, but in my opinion the asymetrical layout (and maybe the bigger distance between the sticks) makes using the thumbstick feel more accurate and in general moving the sticks just feels better on the Xbox controller, this is especially true in FPS-games. Different tastes for everybody I quess, but everybody I have talked in person agrees with me, so I'm definately not alone in this, most of my friends also have both machines.

I would buy an X360 controller for the PS3 instantly!

The 360 controller just feels more natural in my hands, the placement of the triggers, everything. I can play for hours and hours and my hands dont tire at all. I dont really use the d-pad for anything 90% of the time so i dont need that.

With the PS3 controller on the other hand, my hands tire\go numb after 2-3 hours. I think my hands are just to big for the controller or something.

OH MY GOD MY EYES!!!
ya they should do something about that horrid 'sony' text and the ps logo. blech. :D

I could probably live with symmetrical analog sticks but not located where sony put them. They'd need to be pushed forward, or the controller made much larger.

i find both controllers excel at diffrent things.

fighting games the DS is better at handling these types of games mostly becuase of the flat face buttons and more precise d-pad unlike the 360. the light weight and shape makes it easier to hold with one hand while using your fingers to tap buttons.

shooter the 360 is awsome. the triggers are better becuase of the concave shape as well as the bumpers not being in the way unlike the ps3. the round face buttons make it easier to hit, with the thumb moving from the Right stick.

3rd person games i found a toss up. gta i found the DS was better at controlling jumping climbing and shooting from a car but 360 better at controlling the camera and shooting on foot. also oblivion was easier for me to control on the 360. but i found action games alot easier and smoother on the 360 controllers because of the round face buttons.

rpgs i find the DS dpads are alot better for these types of games, but ultimatly almost the same.

sports games depends. madden as well as soccer i like the DS controller becuase its easier to go left and right with out going forward. fight night also the DS becuase the position of the sticks. racing and NHL i like the 360

if i could change things on each pad. 360 needes to rework the stick press buttons and dpad. DS needs to rework the triggers and bumpers and shape as well as QC ive broken alot of DS pads its even a problem with the sixxaxis on my 3rd. Hell i dont even touch the pads for a year and find them broken when i try to play.

"Hands going numb...?" Sheesh, what kind of death grip do you people feel obliged to clutch your controllers with? :p

I feel like contributing to this thread, plus this came in the mail a couple of days ago.

Hands down best accessory for the Wii nintendo could ever make.

bestclassiccontrollerevaq3.jpg

Back