Possibly the best PS3 peripheral

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
2a0fic0.jpg

WANT! I'd buy this in a heart beat.

meh I think the dualshock is superior. although for big hands the x360 controller is probably better.

I don't use the d-pad enough for any games that would require me to worry. It never bothered me when 360 was my sole platform.

I like the ergonomics and the trigger's and shoulders much more then the sixaxis. I'd be all for this. I don't need to sixaxis accelerometers either. If I have to give that up to be able to use something like this, SOLD.

I tried to play a Madden tournament last year on the 360. Just couldn't adjust to it, even though the main difference is the D-pad and the left stick are reversed.

Now I'm going to probably have to deal with it again.

needs a hori dpad.

<edit>I remember having a discussion about the ps2 controller vs the 360 controller on this forum back in 2005, I even supplied photos of me holding them both.

I go back and forth between both controllers daily or weekly, I have no issues. I chalk up 95% of the controller preferences to system preference. And no I don't have small hands (I'm 6'4"), that myth needs to die. The ergonomics of both have little to do with the small variance in adult hand size.

The DS controller lays on the finger tips, it does not sit in the palms like the 360 one.

The real differences to me are trigger concavity vs D-pad & bumper location. I bought the pro-triggers for the DS3, so that is not an issue (yes you should not have to buy it, but you can).

IMHO, the Xbox pad is more comfortable and natural to hold, especially for long playtime. Some people like the concave sticks and the triggers better but I have forgotten how they felt. The DualShocks are better for fighting games (Flat and responsive buttons). The sticks and triggers work ok so far.

I find that weight doesn't make a real difference (I could get used to the light SIXAXIS or heavy DS3 within a day or two).

SIXAXIS motion control needs more case studies and improvements. It is still unproven now. Unlike Wii, even Sony itself doesn't create a culture and framework to explore good motion control use.

... and the best PS3 peripheral is a HDTV. :p

I can't play with a Playstation controller for long periods since my hands just go numb. It was a big step up from the MD/SNES design of course, but after gaming for hours on end I personally have never had a controller as comfortable as the 360 controller.

The worst controller in "recent" times though for long-term comfort though was the Dreamcast controller. The VMU was ingenious, but the way you had to "hook" your hands was terrible. Damn, that gave me major "claw"... almost as much as my PSP.

I'm pretty sure there is at least one online tutorial that shows how to replace Sixaxis case with 360's, while keeping the circuitry.
I don't really know why anybody would want that though. ;)

I can't play with a Playstation controller for long periods since my hands just go numb.

Same here, after an hour or so of Metal Gear I had to stop playing. I'd buy this controller in an instant if it were available. How the heck did they go from the abomination known as the Xbox 1 controller to the perfection of the 360 controller?

With my experience on both controllers here is my impressions on each.

The 360 controller has a more comfortable shape and the analog sticks are better. They are stiffer enabling for a bit more accuracy. Their placement is also much better for that genre.

But the Dual Shock has a much better d-pad. By a difference. And its place is much better suited for fighting games. I find the 360's d-pad a disaster for fighting games.

Also I do not like the front shoulder buttons! They are flat and you dont get much sense of the pressure unlike the triggers. R1 and L1 buttons on the DS are much better placed and designed

Same here, after an hour or so of Metal Gear I had to stop playing. I'd buy this controller in an instant if it were available. How the heck did they go from the abomination known as the Xbox 1 controller to the perfection of the 360 controller?

It's funny, and I think I may the only person I've ever heard this happen to, but the 360 controller's vibration makes my hands feel weird, as if it's too strong or something (I'm pretty sure it's all in my mind). What's strange is that it only started bothering me after I started playing more PS3 games. The only thing that bothers me about the Dualshock/sixaxis is the triggers. Not the way they curve, I'm okay with that, but it'd be nice if they had an actual spring in them, they're too squooshy.

It's funny, and I think I may the only person I've ever heard this happen to, but the 360 controller's vibration makes my hands feel weird, as if it's too strong or something (I'm pretty sure it's all in my mind). What's strange is that it only started bothering me after I started playing more PS3 games. The only thing that bothers me about the Dualshock/sixaxis is the triggers. Not the way they curve, I'm okay with that, but it'd be nice if they had an actual spring in them, they're too squooshy.
Yeah, the 360's vibration is very strong, as was the original Xbox controller. I've actually broken two glasses on separate occasions with it, actually, since I frequently sit at my PC when gaming in games that don't require 100% attention (eg JRPGS when doing side mission runs). I'll leave it on my PC desk next to a drink, browse a website, only to have an automated attack bump it and the glass off the desk :oops:

The strange thing is they're usually not running at 100% capacity either. With the Duke controller, if you buy a USB cable and install custom drivers, you can use an app to test the vibration. At 100% you can barely hold the thing, it's crazy.

I find that weight doesn't make a real difference (I could get used to the light SIXAXIS or heavy DS3 within a day or two).

... and the best PS3 peripheral is a HDTV. :p

With my experience on both controllers here is my impressions on each.

The 360 controller has a more comfortable shape and the analog sticks are better. They are stiffer enabling for a bit more accuracy. Their placement is also much better for that genre.

But the Dual Shock has a much better d-pad. By a difference. And its place is much better suited for fighting games. I find the 360's d-pad a disaster for fighting games.

Also I do not like the front shoulder buttons! They are flat and you dont get much sense of the pressure unlike the triggers. R1 and L1 buttons on the DS are much better placed and designed

My thoughts are already out there!:cool:

I'd buy that in an instant. D-pad games are only games that I found really suitable for the PS3-controller, one thumbstick+buttons work also fine, but two thumbstick games like FPS-games are in my opinion horrible, I probably feel about them the same as PC-gamers usually feel about gamepads altogether in RTS or FPS-games.

I also think it's an outrage to keep that same basic design for over 10 years, I honestly could not believe my eyes when I saw it announced. Why can't Sony release another controller as peripheral, so that we who like asymmetrical thumbstick position and usable triggers can have nice gaming experiences with that machine?!... No need to do anything about d-pad though.

SIXAXIS motion control needs more case studies and improvements. It is still unproven now.
I disagree. IMO Warhawk proves it as a great input system. Flying around with the subtle tilts is very intuitive (when set up right) and comfortable. IMO a proof of concept isn't required, only some smarter IO developers who get to grips with the motion system!

Back