NVIDIA shows signs ... [2008 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo

Mostly Harmless
Legend
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080702/aqw114.html?.v=46

Well, apparently they agree with world+dog on relative pricing vs the competition right now, as after the market closed today they guided lower on 2Q revenue and gross margins vs their last conference call.

One of the elements they cited was :

price adjustments of our GPU products to respond to competitive products.

Additionally, they're taking a $150-200M charge for warranty repairs on notebooks with their gpu and mcps. That's enough to be an owie.

Certain notebook configurations with GPUs and MCPs manufactured with a certain die/packaging material set are failing in the field at higher than normal rates. To date, abnormal failure rates with systems other than certain notebook systems have not been seen. NVIDIA has initiated discussions with its supply chain regarding this material set issue and the Company will also seek to access insurance coverage for this matter.

/me looks at his T61P and crosses his fingers.

price adjustments of our GPU products to respond to competitive products.
It's actually just one "competitive product" [RV770] in merely two flavours, as for now. :D
And one have to wonder, how is going a marketing strategy of battling that single enemy with a whole galore of SKUs...

And one have to wonder, how is going a marketing strategy of battling that single enemy with a whole galore of SKUs...

We'll see, of course, but historically I'm sort of reminded of ATI trying to take on 6600GT "Back in the day".

This is good stuff. Nvidia has the resources and the talent but nothing beats a good kick in the pants now and then.

Heh. They certainly got a great run out of the last wake-up call to the keister.

It was always alot more interesting to observe these shifts when ATI was an independent entity. As much as I'm sure the radeon's are doing great right now, AMD is off more than $2 (~30%) of its 30day high. NVDA is off $7 (~25%) over the same period.

I'm just glad I have nothing invested in either of them atm.

<edit> ok I just saw that NVDA lost another $3-4 in after hours trading. ouch

Fudzilla claims $90 and $30 drops tomorrow for 280 and 260 respectively.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many of the guys here that were happy to own nV stock (at ~$40) are still happy now. we're back at '06 levels and I doubt market mindset will change in the upcomming year.

It's a relief to see both fighters still duking it out, I was concerned for Ati for a while but now they have got nvidia backed into their corner. But you know nvidia will come out fighting.

Will they be slipping that horseshoe into their glove like they did after the FX range though :D

I'm just waiting for NVDA to settle to about $10 and I'll buy a big f'ing pile of it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back