[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 *spoilers*

warcrow

Regular
I just dont know how sensetive people are to any kind of spoilers for this game, but to be safe I figured I would create a seperate thread. I'd rather not get yelled at for my first post here. :p

I went to the Konami "VIP Press Event" in LA lastnight and got to meet David Hayter and Ryan Payton--both guys are really nice especially David. Infact, he was kind enough to recorded two sound drops for our Podcast:

Young Snake:http://www.playedpodcast.com/Audio/David_Hayder_Drop_1.WAV
Old Snake: http://www.playedpodcast.com/Audio/David_Hayder_Drop_2.WAV

Got to play the game for a little bit when I got home and here are my first impressions:

• This game has the greatest installation of this generation of consoles. :)
  • All the screenshots and video that you've seen do NOTHING to justify just how gorgeous this game is on an HD TV. It's stunning in visual fidelity, structure, design, and the animations are flawless. The beauty in the subtleness will make you say "wow".
  • Oh my--lots and lots of weapons.
  • Dont even think about playing this game on anything else than a DualShock 3.
  • I can tell that experimental players are going to have SO much fun with this game.
  • Having the ability to output the codec messages to a Bluetooth headset is really freak'n cool!
  • You can crawl around and roll over on your back fireing off shots. Heck, you can even roll around to put out the fire from a molatov cocktail. (unconfirmed by me
  • Oh yes, and "Monkey Steals The Peach"!
  • The audio is phenominal!

Some screens:

mgs403oa6.jpg

mgs411yc4.jpg

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2325/mgs409lw1.jpg
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3328/mgs410qi3.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9759/mgs408qo1.jpg
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1756/mgs405mg8.jpg

Mod Note: One or two images with the img tags please. It's a forum for discussion, not photo galleries. -AlS

It's the infamous Kojima headband cameltoe.
Seriously though, this game makes me want a PS3 real bad right about now.

My friend, these screenshots (or rather, any MGS4 screenshots) are totally missing the point. Kojidude toyed with the very concept of a "game". In fact, he did it at the very beginning. I am not sure what else lies ahead.

I didn't expect him to act like an independent movie director.

I played through the entire first act last night, which took me almost 6 hours. I know that that's probably above the average I'm sure, but I've made a very conscience decision to take my sweet time with this game. I want to sit back and take as much of it in as possible and not rush a single pixel to go by. The level of enjoyment has gotten to the point where I am so into the story/game that when a cutscene comes on I happily put my controller down and watch--even if it's only a few minutes long.

I am sitting here stunned at how compelling this game is in every sense of the gamers imagination. I dont remember the last time I played a game where I was so engrossed with the fiction. It is just so well done on every level! The amount of polish is something other developers should admire and strive for, for the bar has been raised.

Also, I was a little surprised (pleasantly) that this installment seems to have a little more humor in it than the previous games. Not much, but the level of humor has definitely been raised over previous MGS games.

Oh and the graphics--when I say "graphics" I'm sort of lumping everything under visual appeal into that (design, aesthetics, art direction)--are absolutely incredible. When I first began playing the game I had made this mental acknowledgement that it was on par with Uncharted, but now that I've made it through the first act and 5 minutes into the second, I can clearly say that this is above and beyond anything on the PS3 and most likely the X360. I cannot count how many times I said "wow" to myself during my play time last night.

There was this point, probably a few hours into the game, where something just hit me--that this game was truely something special. There is just so much to do and there are so many options in regards to approach, weapons, and combat.

I cannot wait to get home and play some more to see where this game takes me.

Mod Note: You'll receive editing capabilities later. -AlS

Visually the game has exceeded my expectations. It is shockingly good looking. Easily the best looking game I have seen on consoles. And the audio is almost even more impressive. I agree with the people who are saying it surpases all the earlier footage of the game. The character lighting system especially stands out as it is now much better than the videos I have seen before.

Also I agree the installer was amazing. I hear this game has some other short installs between acts. But if they are as cool as the first one, I can't wait till the next install sequence!

Played through about 4 hours now. It is a little bit talkie at times. But the cut scenes are so gorgeous to watch I hardly mind a bit. Gameplay wise I would say it's the best of all the metal gear games in my opinion. The action is intense

The only thing I don't like so far is David Hayters voice acting! I never liked him so I was kind of prepared for it. But it feels too forced for me.

But otherwise the experience so far has been extremely satisfying. Rarely do you get to see a game that lives up to the hype. I feel like I playing something very new and special. Unlike any thing else I have played in a long long time.

I purchased yesterday (the 80GB MGS SKU) and it is as much of an introduction to the PS3 as anything else for me. It took ~8 minutes to rip to the HD, which compared to PC games in recent years doesn't seem obscene until you say to yourself, "this is the famous blu ray?!".

Either way I am in act 1 making friends.

The graphics great. The controls, not so much since there is a steep curve as with all MGS games. I tried to go on killing sprees just for practice' sake and the camera was horrendous at times. Again, I've played just a little bit and haven't gotten used to anything yet.

Warcrow, I agree. I've NEVER been so taken back by a game before! I found myself calling people up to talk about this game after I'd played for awhile. :oops:

BTW, you should keep the controller in your hands during the cutscenes, if you have a DS3 controller. It adds to the immersion. :cool:

The graphics great. The controls, not so much since there is a steep curve as with all MGS games. I tried to go on killing sprees just for practice' sake and the camera was horrendous at times. Again, I've played just a little bit and haven't gotten used to anything yet.

Controls take some getting used to. But they are quite intuitive. I got the hang of them in under an hour. The camera system doesn't seem to favor gun combat in tight spaces. But that's what CQC is for.

You can always press select if you are confused about the controls.

The control is too complex for me, but you can certainly perform a lot of actions using it. I can imagine me doing this after a few hours of practices. The learning curve is, at this moment, the only weak point of MGS4. The long cutscenes don't bother me one bit (yet).

EDIT: Like NERO below, I made quite a few mistakes while learning the weapons. e.g., I still don't know how to pick up a pr0n magazine after I laid it down to distract a soldier, I am fumbling big time in CQC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The camera system doesn't seem to favor gun combat in tight spaces. But that's what CQC is for.

You can always press select if you are confused about the controls.

I am aware of the controls and haven't readjusted yet, but the close combat in tight spaces problem is what I'm really talking about. I've played and defeated the other MGS games multiple times, but haven't played them since 3, a couple of years ago. I bet by the 2nd hour I'll feel better and get better;)

Generally the more freedom of action, the more complex the controls and the more room for errors in the player's hands.

I hear this game has some other short installs between acts.

But otherwise the experience so far has been extremely satisfying. Rarely do you get to see a game that lives up to the hype. I feel like I playing something very new and special. Unlike any thing else I have played in a long long time.

I can confirm that there was as short (4 minutes?) installation before entering Act 2.

The controls do take a bit to get use to--but once they become familiar it's like second nature.

One thing I did was go to the Shooting Range (main menu) and practiced there. It really helped@ :D

Warcrow, I agree. I've NEVER been so taken back by a game before! I found myself calling people up to talk about this game after I'd played for awhile. :oops:

BTW, you should keep the controller in your hands during the cutscenes, if you have a DS3 controller. It adds to the immersion. :cool:

Hehe, yea I did the same thing. I brought a good friend of mine when I went to the Konami Press Event and he called me after he played for about an hour and he was practically hyper-ventalating on the phone. :LOL:

I did notice the controller rumbled a bit (I have it sitting on my tummy) the first time I set it down during a cutscene, so now I'm on the fence about holding it. :oops:

The control is too complex for me, but you can certainly perform a lot of actions using it. I can imagine me doing this after a few hours of practices. The learning curve is, at this moment, the only weak point of MGS4. The long cutscenes don't bother me one bit (yet).

EDIT: Like NERO below, I made quite a few mistakes while learning the weapons. e.g., I still don't know how to pick up a pr0n magazine after I laid it down to distract a soldier, I am fumbling big time in CQC.

You should go to the firing range if you just want to practice. You will get unlimited ammo on all the guns you have already unlocked. You will get to practice CQC to your hearts content because the practice VR soliders don't even fight back.

Playboy magazine I don't think you are supposed to pick back up. It's an expendible item. If you wanted look at the girls you need to hold L1+R1, Circle, Then Triangle. But then those exact instructions are given to you when you hold down L2.

Also FYI, The instruction manual that comes with the game is actually a very cool read too. It has comic book art in it and other goodies.

Back