Question for PS3 owners

If you're using a program such as TVersity to stream, it'll transcode the files on the fly so the console can play them. Transcoding can be set on a per-file basis as well I believe, or at least on a per-directory basis.

Doesnt transcoding mean the video will remain in its original format after youre done watching it? :no:

As for an update, apparently alot of my videos are in XviD format and I tried the "copy them to HDD trick first" and while the results are mixed, so far so good :D

Doesnt transcoding mean the video will remain in its original format after youre done watching it? :no:

As for an update, apparently alot of my videos are in XviD format and I tried the "copy them to HDD trick first" and while the results are mixed, so far so good :D

I believe many DLNA servers kept the transcoded files in a directory cache to avoid redundant work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the PS3 via XMB (since i dont think Linux has SPE acceleration) upscale xvid/divx &/or h.264?

I thought it only upscaled DVDs. Am I mistaken?
I can't even remember where I heard this, but I remember hearing it.

The PS3 upscales streamed video, and it does an excellent job of it, too.

I don't think it really matters, it does it all on the fly without you noticing it. I can't honestly say for sure though, since all of my files are in MP4 format to begin with.

I seem to have a big misunderstanding on tversity...

I read this from the quick start guide from their website:

8. On the Playstation 3, in addition to streaming media, you can also download media to the PS3 hard drive by selecting some file, invoking the options menu and choosing the “copy” operation. This can even be done on entire folders. As the copy is taking place, TVersity will automatically convert the media that would otherwise not play on the PS3.

Aaaand heres my question to tversity users: Say I have video files on my PC on which tversity is running, if I choose to copy those to the PS3's HDD, when tversity says it'll convert the media does that mean once its copied to the HDD permanently it should play no problem and even if tversity(or my pc) is off, it should still play?

I seem to have a big misunderstanding on tversity...

I read this from the quick start guide from their website:

Aaaand heres my question to tversity users: Say I have video files on my PC on which tversity is running, if I choose to copy those to the PS3's HDD, when tversity says it'll convert the media does that mean once its copied to the HDD permanently it should play no problem and even if tversity(or my pc) is off, it should still play?

I believe the answer is yes, you don't need Tversity anymore once the file is copied locally.

Plain and simple, yes.

Thats good to hear. I set up tversity already and the PS3 can detect it, though my problem seems to be tversity increasing file sizes to ridiculous amounts.

For example, I have a video thats 175mb natively, yet when I browse thru the PS3, the size becomes 970mb!

Is there any way to lower the file size? I can only imagine files that are 700mb and up :oops:

Thats good to hear. I set up tversity already and the PS3 can detect it, though my problem seems to be tversity increasing file sizes to ridiculous amounts.

For example, I have a video thats 175mb natively, yet when I browse thru the PS3, the size becomes 970mb!

Is there any way to lower the file size? I can only imagine files that are 700mb and up :oops:

the reason for that is that the PS3 obviously doesn't support the codec of the file in question. Thus it is converted to MPG2. Those files are obviously bigger that their counterparts (Xvid, etc.) at the corresponding resolution. There's not much you can do here, except force TVersity to convert to a lower resolution which can be done via the options menu. The downside to this is that you'll have a lower video quality.

Thanks again for the response. I guess it was too good to be true :LOL:

Thats alright though, its still a nifty program in some aspects.

*back to converting videos the old fashion way*

the reason for that is that the PS3 obviously doesn't support the codec of the file in question. Thus it is converted to MPG2. Those files are obviously bigger that their counterparts (Xvid, etc.) at the corresponding resolution. There's not much you can do here, except force TVersity to convert to a lower resolution which can be done via the options menu. The downside to this is that you'll have a lower video quality.

Could he just select to convert it to a divx version that the ps3 supports or is mp2 the only option?

upscaled divx/xvid (h.263) &/or h.264 via XMB?

The PS3 upscales streamed video, and it does an excellent job of it, too.

Only streamed? Not off the HDD? Where did you come by this info? I've looked for a while and never found anything confirming or denying this.

Does it use just a simple resize or Biliniar, Bicubic, Gauss, Lanczos, Spline, etc..?

I know you have the 1:1 mode, the normal (full screen) mode, & the zoom (4:3 to 16:9 full screen) mode. But i cant tell if they're actually being scaled or just stretched. I wish i had 2 identical TVs so i could play a scaled vid w/ ffdshow tryouts on my PC & on PS3 at the same time to look for differences.

Ran into a problem now...

I want to install YDL but its telling me I have to format the HDD to make a partition and the only definition of formatting I know is wiping the HDD clean, which I dont want to do since I already stored alot of files on it(I dont have a backup HDD to store them :cry: )

Is there a way to just make a partition for Linux without wiping out the HDD?

Ran into a problem now...

I want to install YDL but its telling me I have to format the HDD to make a partition and the only definition of formatting I know is wiping the HDD clean, which I dont want to do since I already stored alot of files on it(I dont have a backup HDD to store them :cry: )

Is there a way to just make a partition for Linux without wiping out the HDD?

No, unfortunately.

Copy your game saves and other media out using "Multiple Copy". You can copy them back after reformatting.

Well, ran into a problem. I was using TVersityon my roomie's PC (XP 32 bit) with my ps3. Now that I have my own new PC, I installed TVersity on it, but my PS3 just can't find the media server!. I am using XP 64-bit, is that the problem?

I ran thru the FAQs and disabled Upnp sharing from my bittorrent, I even stopped bittorrent to make sure there is no issue. No avail, my ps3 can't see my media server.

Any knowledge about it?

UPNP Av uses multicast, make sure your network does not filter it out somewhere between your PC and PS3.

This has been happening for awhile now and I need help.

It seems that when I watch videos/trailers on the PS3, the bottom half of the screen becomes mildly fuzzy though it only happens on scenes where there is white is very prevalent(or a color like yellow, etc)

It finally stopped at one point, but now its back again :devilish:

I am using component cables @ 1080i if any of that information helps.

I was so glad when it disappeared but damnit why'd do you have to return!

Well, ran into a problem. I was using TVersityon my roomie's PC (XP 32 bit) with my ps3. Now that I have my own new PC, I installed TVersity on it, but my PS3 just can't find the media server!. I am using XP 64-bit, is that the problem?

I ran thru the FAQs and disabled Upnp sharing from my bittorrent, I even stopped bittorrent to make sure there is no issue. No avail, my ps3 can't see my media server.

Any knowledge about it?

Well, guysafter a month of not happeing, it got solved :)!
I recently bought a HTC Touch and to synchronise it with my PC , I had to uncheck "Don't allow exceptions" in my Windows firewall (it wouldn't work without it ).
After that Voila ! my TVersity server showed up in my ps3 XMB !:D

Nevermind my previous post months back, it was a tv issue.

I was wondering, what program should I use to transfer large video files to the PS3(8GB+).

I was using Red Kawa for the smaller files and it works perfect, though apparently it has problems on files larger than 4.5GB(somewhere along there) so I need another program.

Just to clarify, I need file transferring not file streaming. Thanks.

Back