Want to get a ps3

Need your help here please, I have read the post:
What do you love an hate about the Sony PS3
And I have decided to buy a ps3, I have found a deal:
40GB PlayStation 3 wtih bonus $100 gift card for $399.
It has a HDMI output for 1080p resolution, I can connect it to my Sharp AQUOS LC32D64U 32 inch 1080p TV , seems very cool. Do you think that's a good deal?

Seems excellent, but what do I know? I am scandinavian and prefer to pay twice the amount you do, or the same amount and get half the value.

For that 100 you can probably get, a HDMI-cable should be super cheap in the states and a budget gem (good cheap game). A BR-movie is unnecessary to show of the TV/PS3, plenty of HD-trailers on PSN. And a DS3 controller. Seems nice.

EDIT: same stuff costs $800 here, yeah... Oh, and buy some cheap gas. It costs 3 times as much here (or so I heard).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's a better deal on a PS3 right now, so if it's a PS3 you want, that looks like the way to go. I've read that Best Buy may match the offer ($100 gift card), so in that case it's down to which store you'd prefer to have credit with.

I don't think any in-store HDMI cable is as cheap as monoprice.com, though, so I'd use the GC for something the store sells at a less exorbitant markup. But I'm thinking of $20+ HDMI cables here--if you can get one for less out the door, might as well save yourself the time. If you want more than one cable, though (e.g., component, too), Monoprice'll probably be the smarter buy.

I don't think there's a better deal on a PS3 right now, so if it's a PS3 you want, that looks like the way to go. I've read that Best Buy may match the offer ($100 gift card), so in that case it's down to which store you'd prefer to have credit with.

I don't think any in-store HDMI cable is as cheap as monoprice.com, though, so I'd use the GC for something the store sells at a less exorbitant markup. But I'm thinking of $20+ HDMI cables here--if you can get one for less out the door, might as well save yourself the time. If you want more than one cable, though (e.g., component, too), Monoprice'll probably be the smarter buy.
Agreed

Seems excellent, but what do I know? I am scandinavian and prefer to pay twice the amount you do, or the same amount and get half the value.

For that 100 you can probably get, a HDMI-cable should be super cheap in the states and a budget gem (good cheap game). A BR-movie is unnecessary to show of the TV/PS3, plenty of HD-trailers on PSN. And a DS3 controller. Seems nice.

EDIT: same stuff costs $800 here, yeah... Oh, and buy some cheap gas. It costs 3 times as much here (or so I heard).

You guys make about twice the money. It's just scale of economies at work. There is no need to be upset. If you want to pay what the US pays, come work in the US and make half the money.

It has a HDMI output for 1080p resolution, I can connect it to my Sharp AQUOS LC32D64U 32 inch 1080p TV , seems very cool. Do you think that's a good deal?

A ps3 is a good deal but the 40G retails for $399.

Edit: I checked walmart.com and it's a $399 40GB plus a $100 online gift card. I guess the wording threw me off.

For an hdmi cable I'd recommend:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10243&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3661&seq=1&format=2

Since others have covered the deal side of it, I'll run down a few of the love/hate items.

Love the interface (referred to as the "XMB", or Xross Media Bar). Love Bluray playback functionality. Love the evolving feature set via firmware updates. Love the heavy use of industry standards instead of proprietary ones (HDMI, SATA, USB, Bluetooth). Love the built-in Wi-Fi and Gigabit Ethernet. Love that the more PC like it becomes, the more PC perks it gets.

Hate that the more PC like it becomes, the more PC problems it encounters. Hate the incomplete online infrastructure (in-game communication, game invites, friend's list support, online music/movies/shows, etc). Hate some of usability features it lacks in comparison to the 360 (downloads during standby, IR port, iPod support). Hate that it feels rushed to market many ways (to me at least).

I can't chime in on what I hate or dislike but I am planning on finally making a purchase within the next two weeks. Can someone please advise on whether the 40GB SKU now comes with the dual shock 3.

Thanks

I can't chime in on what I hate or dislike but I am planning on finally making a purchase within the next two weeks. Can someone please advise on whether the 40GB SKU now comes with the dual shock 3.

Thanks

As far as I know, not yet in Narnia, and I doubt it ever will.
Only in Japan so far I believe.
It is gonna be bundled with the MGS console

As far as I know, not yet in Narnia, and I doubt it ever will.
Only in Japan so far I believe.
It is gonna be bundled with the MGS console

:LOL:

I don't know whether I will pay the 100USD extra for rumble and 40 extra gigs of a HD that I'll swap out anyway. Hmmm....

Love: The games ! Blu-ray and on-going firmware enhancements. :love:

Hate: The delays and some usability quirkiness.

:LOL:

I don't know whether I will pay the 100USD extra for rumble and 40 extra gigs of a HD that I'll swap out anyway. Hmmm....

I bought a DS3 and threw it in the drawer: The vibration interferes with my aiming. When this SIXAXIS dies, I will probably play DS3 with rumble off.

I bought a DS3 and threw it in the drawer: The vibration interferes with my aiming. When this SIXAXIS dies, I will probably play DS3 with rumble off.

I turn rumble off for Resistance and Warhawk, but back on for just about everything else. Funny, I didn't miss it when we didn't have it, but now that it's back it's a nice little touch here and there.

Just an FYI the free $100 gift card from Walmart can be received when you buy ANY Blu-ray player. My local circular ad shows the $399 PS3 and a $448 Panasonic Blu-ray player as examples. So it's not just for the PS3. If you go to Walmart.com they sell a Magnavox for $298 and a Sony for $388.

Tommy McClain

theres little reason to buy a standalone. well worth the extra 100 bucks over a magnavox (i wouldn't even touch a magnavox product).

You guys make about twice the money. It's just scale of economies at work. There is no need to be upset. If you want to pay what the US pays, come work in the US and make half the money.

?

Take any job that requires a decent degree and it's guaranteed that the guy in US has at least double the money in his hand after getting paycheck and paying his taxes, compared to the guy in scandinavia doing the same job.

Let's stop with the economics discussion, please. Take it to PM if you want to debate who's the poorest!

iPod support

Ipod works fine. I hook mine up and listen to music here and there. You just need to enable disk use I believe. Also rushed to market? 360 wasn't rushed to market? Hopefully you were done with 360 comparisons when you mentioned that. Lol...

Ipod works fine. I hook mine up and listen to music here and there. You just need to enable disk use I believe.

I'm glad your iPod plays fines with it (and surprised to hear it). However, despite being able to browse the folder structure manually (via Triangle, Show All) its a pain in the ass. I guess I should clarify. iPod support that doesn't require searching through cryptic folders and file names is what I want. Could just be the iPods I've tried to use, but I doubt it. Searches for a solution revealed its a very common issue. Haven't tried it recently though as they've all been other's iPods (each one using iTunes for music management). I'll have to check out "enable disk use" the next time someone brings their's over (thanks for the tip).

Also rushed to market? 360 wasn't rushed to market? Hopefully you were done with 360 comparisons when you mentioned that. Lol...

EDIT

I was going to debate the issue, particullarly in regards to how the 360 feels when I use it in contrast to the PS3, but this isn't reallly the place for it, as its quite off topic. Regardless, yes, I was done with the 360 comparison at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back