Resident Evil 5

Just got through my first playthrough and so far my experience has been a little meh. Iam almost feeling like I should have rented but maybe it get better. When u investigate items on the tables etc. does it give u any insight of the plot because so far it seems pointless.

Are all the cutscenes realtime ? Sometimes it looks like it's in movie form with the game engine but prerendered like in gears of war, or did they put some sort of filter for the cutscenes.

Noone tried any of the Home integration features yet? I'm really curious about them! (but not curious enough to buy the game yet ... )

Well they put in a Home space for RE5. It's one of the African villages straight out of the game. Same assets and everything.

You can meet up with people there and set up multiplayer games because the game supports matchmaking and game launching from Home.

And then there are some unlockable items for your Home space. I've unlocked 4 figurine ornament things. A Jill, Wesker, Sheva and Chris doll.

Well they put in a Home space for RE5. It's one of the African villages straight out of the game. Same assets and everything.

You can meet up with people there and set up multiplayer games because the game supports matchmaking and game launching from Home.

And then there are some unlockable items for your Home space. I've unlocked 4 figurine ornament things. A Jill, Wesker, Sheva and Chris doll.

I know what it does in theory, I just wondered if someone had experienced and what they thought about it. :)

Well, except the Arcade game - no idea which game it is or whether it is any good - and the Archives room, have you been in there yet?

Playing it on professional now and its quite frustrating solo. Usually it goes ok if you are careful but in some places, it all comes down to luck (usually when sheva needs to go alone).

Without infinite ammo magnums I'd never play this mode. Gathering the emblems now aswell. :D

I wanted more files but there really isn't many, atleast not compared to the old ones.

I've been playing the game and I must say it's not short at all if you take your time and properly explore all the areas without always running. i've been playing for around 6hrs Solo and I haven't even reached chapter 3 yet.

I'm really amazed at the graphics though, they're just gorgeous. Some of the indoor sections got me thinking about what this game would feel like if Capcom had gone back to the oldschool dark environments and scary music. With the game installed to the HDD it loads quite fast. I hated the old games where every time you opened a door it would take a few seconds to load.

I like the realistic physics on many of the objects in the game too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing it on professional now and its quite frustrating solo. Usually it goes ok if you are careful but in some places, it all comes down to luck (usually when sheva needs to go alone).

Without infinite ammo magnums I'd never play this mode. Gathering the emblems now aswell. :D

I wanted more files but there really isn't many, atleast not compared to the old ones.

I beat Professional mode with Infinite ammo magnums and it was still hard as holy hell.

Later on I unlocked infinite ammo rockets and it is much much easier. I suggest you unlock the rockets if it is giving you too much trouble. You just have to beat the game under 5 hours on any difficultly to get that bonus. My current best is around 3 hours. So 5 hours is more than enough time to beat the game if you already have infinite magnums.

Problem is that it is the QTEs and railed sections which will probably kill you the most on Pro. And the rockets aren't going to help you much there.

But most bosses are so easy with the rocket. Pretty much all the shootable ones will go down in 1-2 hits on pro. Even the one where the game makes you think you are supposed to use some kind of specialized weapon or technique to beat it can be just blown away with a rocket including all forms of uroborus.

Some things about the 360 version that I've noticed:

- A lot of screen tearing while playing in 1080p mode, especially in cutscenes. Almost none when playing in 720p mode, however.

- Very muffled/compressed sound during cutscenes. DVD space restriction issue? Is it the same on PS3?

I beat Professional mode with Infinite ammo magnums and it was still hard as holy hell.

Later on I unlocked infinite ammo rockets and it is much much easier. I suggest you unlock the rockets if it is giving you too much trouble. You just have to beat the game under 5 hours on any difficultly to get that bonus. My current best is around 3 hours. So 5 hours is more than enough time to beat the game if you already have infinite magnums.

Problem is that it is the QTEs and railed sections which will probably kill you the most on Pro. And the rockets aren't going to help you much there.

But most bosses are so easy with the rocket. Pretty much all the shootable ones will go down in 1-2 hits on pro. Even the one where the game makes you think you are supposed to use some kind of specialized weapon or technique to beat it can be just blown away with a rocket including all forms of uroborus.

Ah, haven't tried the pass under 5 hours thing. I'll probably try it co-op with my girlfriend before passing it under 5 hours to get the rockets. Professional mode really shows off the problems with the AI though. You have basically 2 seconds to revive you mate if he goes to dying state. But it takes like 3,5 seconds before she even takes action! Its really frustrating at times.

Professional is definitely not for 1 player. The AI just can't take care of it's self well enough. I still believe they tacked on the AI mid dev to give Chris a black partner and curb some of the racial allegations (which were foolish).

Also I can't imagine playing this mode without farming ammo before many of the missions. The simply isn't enough laying around.

After I finish this run I'm gonna give it a legit non infinite ammo run to see how it goes, but like DMC, there's a reason repetitive playthroughs are all New Game +.

I starve the AI sidekick of ammo so she won't waste it. I usually give her some rifle ammo in situations where I think it's necessary.

afyer seeing the early "7" reviews I thought this was gonna get panned but yesterday I read "9" from Gameinformer and IGN posted a "9" as well

8.0 Presentation
RE5 has a slick look and feel, but there are some usability issues. Split-screen is confusing to use, menus can be somewhat cumbersome and loading is abundant.
9.5 Graphics
One of the prettiest games of this generation. Lighting, textures and landscapes are often stunning. There’s some screen tearing here and there, but it’s minor. Enemy animations quickly grow stale.
9.0 Sound
Music is understated but sets the tone well, especially the nerve-jangling song that plays when enemies approach. Voice acting for most characters is surprisingly good, but some is just terrible.
8.5 Gameplay
What RE5 lacks in standard survival horror it makes up for in action-packed combat, satisfying on-rails segments and killer final chapter. Controls are beginning to feel dated for an action game.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
For a game with no competitive online multiplayer, RE5 has incredible replayability. Beating the game in various ways unlocks modes and features, and Mercenaries will keep you coming back for more.
9.0 Outstanding OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

If I had to rate this game, I'd say it's not outstanding, but definitely a ways above average. To be fair, I'm still early on and the great parts of RE4 happened late in the game. Could be the same with this one. My only problem is the similarity to 4. There is a lot of carryover animation, and the control/gameplay is pretty much identical.

I'm surprised only so few have actually played the game it seems. Not much activity around the thread and not many have posted theyr impressions. :D

I just got all the emblems and infinite rocket launcher. I still need all chapters on S rank (not that hard) for the last figure it seems. Collect all treasures (probably lack 1 or 2) and then finish it on professional and I'm probably done with the game probably for like forever.

for some reason, I am soooo not interested in this game anymore. I used to be the biggest fan of the series, but after the gameplay changes in part 4, I just kind of lost interest. Actually, after playing the demo, I just find the 'side-kick', aka CO/OP-kick, and its integration into the game kind of annoying... <shrugs>

...maybe if I can find this reasonably cheap, I'll might give it a go...

I'm up to chapter 5.3 now and am blown away by the detail in all of the levels I've played so far up to this point. Some of the levels are pretty scary too. Also all of the weapons are pretty cool. This game has a lot of replay value too. Oh and the controls are perfect. Can't wait to play online VS mode when Capcom releases the DLC.

The sidekick isn't done really well. She fires way too many shots off. If you give her too much ammo, she'll waste it quickly. I'd have prefered if they made her fire more accurately for headshots with a greatly decreased rate of fire. That way she'd do about the same total damage, but wouldn't waste all of your ammo. Or they could make her aim for the weapons in their hands or something. I guess that's my only real complaint about her, but it's a pretty big one.

I just give Sheva the bow and arrow. She can fire away all she likes without wasting my precious (well semi precious in part 5) ammo.

Back