Alternative distribution to optical disks : SSD, cards, and download*

Rural area's are always going to be problematic. It doesn't make sense to upgrade the equipement to support faster speeds in any area until you have recouped your initial investment and hopefully made a profit.

You have to look at the bigger picture here. There are a lot of reasons that reasonably cheap bandwidth will come to rural areas and a lot of them aren't related to traditional telco issues. There is a major push for power distribution networks to move to smart grids, and esp in rural areas, this mean stringing bandwidth along with the power lines. Once you are committed to stringing bandwidth, the marginal cost for 100x min bandwidth is minimal. So you are seeing a lot of power grids string in fiber bundles in the US. Paradoxically, it is the urban areas which are likely to get the least benefit from this as higher density areas both tend to have underground power and are easily serviced via wireless interconnects.

Yeah. IIRC Steam's Top Sellers list is weekly based. Since they are having a massive holiday sales now, it's very easy for those 75% off indie games to top the list.

A quick Google search gives a Top Sellers list for a random week in April:

http://gamersyndrome.com/2010/pc/steam-top-sellers-list-april-11th-17th/

1. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
3. Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City
4. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition
5. Sam & Max: The Devil’s Playhouse
6. Left 4 Dead 2
7. Mount & Blade: Warband
8. Just Cause 2
9. Commandos Collection
10. The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom

which painted a quite different picture, no?

The reality is that it is in the long term best interests of the ISPs not to go to metered bandwidth. This is both from a perspective of increasing service competition, customer satisfaction, and government interference.

Your comment above is contradicted by reality in both Canada and the US:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...fcc-just-bless-a-capped-two-tier-internet.ars

"Usage-based pricing can create more choice and flexibility for consumers," said the official. "But practices that are arbitrary, anti-consumer, or anti-competitive would cause serious concern. The FCC will be a cop on the beat for consumers."

Forgive my cynicism but the promise given above does not hold much water considering the FCC's behaviour for at least the last decade. More telling is the following quote:

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/91452/fcc-chief-suggests-isps-switch-to-usage-based-pricing/

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski tells audience that ISPs need “meaningful flexibility to manage their networks,” and that in order to “promote network investment and efficient use of networks” measures like one in which “match price to cost such as usage-based pricing” ought to be considered.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/05/06/crtc-usage-based-billing-internet.html

Under the plan, Bell will charge wholesale ISPs a flat fee for connecting to its network, and for a set monthly usage limit per customer. Beyond that set limit, users will be charged per gigabyte, depending on the speed of their connections.

Customers using the fastest connections of five-megabits per second, for example, will have a monthly allotment of 60 gigabytes, beyond which Bell will charge $1.12 per GB to a maximum of $22.50.

If a customer uses more than 300 GB a month, Bell will also be able to implement an additional charge of 75 cents per gigabyte.

For example, Shaw here in Canada recently downgraded its bandwidth allotments and also added in extra charges if you go above the amount included with your plan:

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/newdatausage

Purchase a monthly data pack (10 GB for $5/month, 60 GB for $20/month, 250 GB for $50/month)

100GB a month is $47 currently. Basically what they have done to counter the likes of Netflix is increase their billing enough to offset any savings cable cutters might have seen. This has the side effect of making DD potentially more expensive (if it causes your usage to go over your base allotment.

It will only be a matter of time until service providers doing this will get sued to oblivion and back. Lawyers, sometimes evil is good.

What's to sue for? This is all perfectly legal compliments of the FCC and CRTC.

Cheers

ok now take 100 more snapshots over the year to prove your point
He's the one who said full priced games are best sellers on Steam, so he has to prove his point with 100 snapshots.

Besides, the top sellers list is not that useful, since it's revenue based, not based on the amount of units sold.
Given that PC retail market is very small, and DD revenue is less than retail revenue, I wouldn't put much stock in Steam stats anyways. It's a very small pie.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's the one who said full priced games are best sellers on Steam, so he has to prove his point with 100 snapshots.

Besides, the top sellers list is not that useful, since it's revenue based, not based on the amount of units sold.
Given that PC retail market is very small, and DD revenue is less than retail revenue, I wouldn't put much stock in Steam stats anyways. It's a very small pie.

Ugh, do you know that back in July NPD published a report stating that, during 2009, full PC game digital puchase reached 21.3 million copies, and the physical retail was 23.5 million copies? That means digital downloads accounted nearly half amount of all PC game retail sales in the US, and that's last year. I won't be surprised if it surpassed physical sales this year in the US.

Also, in the same report, the top digital PC game retailer based on unit sales is, yes, Steampowered.com.

Ugh, do you know that back in July NPD published a report stating that, during 2009, full PC game digital puchase reached 21.3 million copies, and the physical retail was 23.5 million copies? That means digital downloads accounted nearly half amount of all PC game retail sales in the US, and that's last year. I won't be surprised if it surpassed physical sales this year in the US.
Revenue-wise, DD was far behind though almost 2:1 according to the same report, which means the ASP of DD is lower. I wouldn't also be too sure of more of that revenue reaching the publisher, since Valve's cut is around the same rate charged by other app stores, at about 30%.

Revenue-wise, DD was far behind though almost 2:1 according to the same report, which means the ASP of DD is lower. I wouldn't also be too sure of more of that revenue reaching the publisher, since Valve's cut is around the same rate charged by other app stores, at about 30%.

2:1 is not far behind. Of course digital purchases have lower ASP, because the majority of "casual" games are digital purchased. However, even if you consider that, digital purchases still have a significant portion (maybe > 25%) of the whole non-casual non-indie game sales.

Also, 30% cut is cheap. It's very hard to get 70% if you are selling physical copies.

just to add to what pcchen has said.

You also have to understand that with DD games never go out of print. So I live in the united states and I bought Fear 1 + 2 for $7 this week. If we look at gamestop.com I can't buy Fear 1 at all. Fear 2 i can get digital for $10 or I can buy new for $20 through them only on the pc.

If we look I bought dead space on sale for $8. At game stop its $20 bucks on all the systems. How much do you think EA lost in that sale. Thier sales went through the roof and with only valve's hands in the pie they are able to sell a ton of copies of an older game.

I even bought games like Pirates that hasn't been in print for years. Yes it was $2.50 but thats $2.50 they would never get at retail cause the game wouldn't be able to find shelf space. I also got kotor for $2.50 and thats another game that they wouldn't get any more for cause there is no retail space.

You also forget the huge retail sales for games. Since August Toys r us have done 4 buy one get one 50% off or buy 2 get 1 free. Those are pretty big discounts also to get product to sell.

Sales are great because it allows you to move alot of product that you normaly wouldn't and it allows you to bring in revenue.

just to add to what pcchen has said.

You also have to understand that with DD games never go out of print. So I live in the united states and I bought Fear 1 + 2 for $7 this week. If we look at gamestop.com I can't buy Fear 1 at all. Fear 2 i can get digital for $10 or I can buy new for $20 through them only on the pc.

If we look I bought dead space on sale for $8. At game stop its $20 bucks on all the systems. How much do you think EA lost in that sale. Thier sales went through the roof and with only valve's hands in the pie they are able to sell a ton of copies of an older game.
Hey, I'm all for crazy sales like you've mentioned. So games for $10-15 bucks are fine by me, I welcome them. But I'm not paying full price for something I'm going to be playing for a couple months at best, if I can't resell it afterwards.

A lot of people depend on used game sales to fund their new game purchases and I'm not one of those guys who buys a game and then plays the multiplayer for a year, at least not very often that I find a game that's worth keeping. And even when I find a game that can sustain my interest for more than a couple of months, I can only give that kind of attention to 1 or 2 games, whereas I play about 10-15 different games in a year. This year, it's been BC2 and GT5 that are long term keepers for me, everything else from this year, I've sold or traded. BC2 is also going in when the sequel comes, of course.

Your posts are not facts, you know that right?
http://store.steampowered.com

Only full priced game I see there is Black Ops at number 13. There are only about 20K users playing it concurrently at any time.

What part of most of the year don't you understand. Of course, while they are in the midst of a 20+ day holiday sale with deep discounts the list is going to be different, but if you look most of the year, it is dominated by whatever full price game just released.

Hey, I'm all for crazy sales like you've mentioned. So games for $10-15 bucks are fine by me, I welcome them. But I'm not paying full price for something I'm going to be playing for a couple months at best, if I can't resell it afterwards.

Well you better get ready to not buy anything then. The life of the secondary sales market is running out.

What part of most of the year don't you understand. Of course, while they are in the midst of a 20+ day holiday sale with deep discounts the list is going to be different, but if you look most of the year, it is dominated by whatever full price game just released.
Proof or STFU please. All PC DD revenues are about 400M USD out of the 10B USD video game market in the US. DD is still very small. Show me those full price games and exactly how many copies they sell.

aaronspink said:
Well you better get ready to not buy anything then. The life of the secondary sales market is running out.
1. The game companies should be worried about me not buying anything, not me. I can still either wait 6 months to get the game for the $10-15 price, or if I want to play it right away I'll buy the disc version and resell it when I'm done. If they block the selling of used copies via DD, that's still not going to make me buy the game, there are always other avenues.

2. Next gen will still have discs, so secondary market is still going to be there. Game companies are run by execs, not people with an axe to grind against Sony and Blu-ray, and they'll see that they can make the most profit by allowing second hand sales, since they help fund new game purchases in a big way.

2. Next gen will still have discs, so secondary market is still going to be there. Game companies are run by execs, not people with an axe to grind against Sony and Blu-ray, and they'll see that they can make the most profit by allowing second hand sales, since they help fund new game purchases in a big way.

Or they only see that they lose the x number of copies due to second hand sale, you never know :)

Proof or STFU please. All PC DD revenues are about 400M USD out of the 10B USD video game market in the US. DD is still very small. Show me those full price games and exactly how many copies they sell.

So you are comparing PC game digital puchase with all retail games, including consoles?
Why not including the US$1 billion revenue from World of Warcraft?
Also, don't forget that consoles also have their own digital purchases which NPD also ignored until recently. Actually, an NPD survey released just a few days ago states that 29% of all game sales in the US for the last three months are digital purchases. Of these, 30% are console game digital purchases. Now do you still think it's "very small?"

So you are comparing PC game digital puchase with all retail games, including consoles?
Also, don't forget that consoles also have their own digital purchases which NPD also ignored until recently. Actually, an NPD survey released just a few days ago states that 29% of all game sales in the US for the last three months are digital purchases. Of these, 30% are console game digital purchases. Now do you still think it's "very small?"
30% of 29% = 10% and is it by by revenue or just number of units sold?
I mean, I probably have more DD games on my PS3 than disc games, but I pay much less for them. I'd never buy $60 DD games.

What I found very interesting is that in the same survey, only 10% of purchases were funded by trade-ins. In other words, it would be no big loss and in fact would probably net game publishers a LOT more money if they can get rid of the used game market. They would only need a small fraction of used game buyers to buy new games to make up that lost 10%. More revenue would allow for more varied game developement.

I really can't wait until the used game market dies.

30% of 29% = 10% and is it by by revenue or just number of units sold?
I mean, I probably have more DD games on my PS3 than disc games, but I pay much less for them. I'd never buy $60 DD games.

It's number of units.

Regards,
SB

1. That NPD survey is just a survey, not actual data like sales data they collect.
2. The trade-in question can all be dependent on the wording used in the survey questions. I don't trade my games in to gamestop either for example, because it's a ripoff. Go on ebay/amazon marketplace/craigslist and see how many people are selling their used games, it's a lot. I wonder if they asked if people lend each other games, and what the answer to that would be.
3. If you kill the used market, you'll have more piracy.

Back