Mirror's Edge video (looks hot)

I love it when one review says the game is twelve hours long, and another one says less than six. It's not exactly a minor discrepancy. If it's really less than six hours, I'm not buying it. If there's only one thing that game reviews ought to be good for, it should be determining whether or not a game is obscenely short. How hard is that?

I love it when one review says the game is twelve hours long, and another one says less than six. It's not exactly a minor discrepancy. If it's really less than six hours, I'm not buying it. If there's only one thing that game reviews ought to be good for, it should be determining whether or not a game is obscenely short. How hard is that?

It depends on your luck. If you manage to get over some chapters without loading same checkpoint 100 times - you can finish it in 3 hours, I suppose.

I understand the value for money part, but not buying a good game because its not 20h of play? I think most people never finish a game and talking about short games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reP6Ikn89nw

That is done in 10 minutes and I remember playing it on my C64 for ages, it was probably the coolest game ever at that time :)

I understand the value for money part, but not buying a good game because its not 20h of play? I think most people never finish a game and talking about short games.

If a game has no multiplayer, it has to be brilliant in order to be worth the money if it offers 6 hours of play, in my book.

Mirrors Edge fails my short of being brilliant, so no buy for me.

Tbh, allways go by the lowest estimate. The highest estimates are usually either BS or simply estimates by people who absolutely suck at games. You'd be suprised how bad most of the reviewers on the big sites are at actually playing games. Gamespot had this thing where they would stream live gameplay while some reviewer is playing the game (after getting the game early) if you watched any of those, you would notice that they are suprisingly bad at playing video games. My little sister who pretty much plays video games once per year or so is better than they where.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a game has no multiplayer, it has to be ****ing brilliant in order to be worth the money if it offers 6 hours of play, in my book.

Not saying it'll change your mind, but strictly speaking it's 6 hours of single-player (probably) plus however many your gaming OCD keeps you on the time-trial/racing modes.

If a game has no multiplayer, it has to be brilliant in order to be worth the money if it offers 6 hours of play, in my book.

Which is the quite far from me, since I generally do not play the online multiplayer part, mainly because I suck at games :)

Anyone who has the game care to comment on their impressions so far? Is the time trial mode any good, and is the campaign worth playing through more than once? I played the demo quite a few times and enjoyed it, but I am hesitant to purchase due to some bad reviews.

Bad control decisions, non-existent feedback, worthless highlights.
In short: frustrating repetitive gameplay, but good design, music and presentation.

Can you elaborate on bad control decisions? And by 'highlights' you mean the runner's eye thing?

In short: frustrating repetitive gameplay, but good design, music and presentation.

Well I assumed it would be repetitive since it is all platforming, but from what you said it sounds like you are very disappointed. I had a similar problem with resistance 2, but I hoped Mirror's Edge would be better. Did you play the demo, and if so was it frustrating for you as well?

Can you elaborate on bad control decisions? And by 'highlights' you mean the runner's eye thing?

Bad controls in this case means that you're really struggling to make the character "do what you want".
For example: there is no air control, which means that some of your jumps will be wrong from the start and you'll know it only when landing. Sometimes the character aligns herself with the scenery when you don't want it and it causes another "unmanaged" jump.

By highlights I mean highlight in game design point of view: how game tells you what to do next. Sometimes they are very frustrating, like hinting you on the closed door, without giving away that it can be opened only by pressing some button.

Well I assumed it would be repetitive since it is all platforming, but from what you said it sounds like you are very disappointed. I had a similar problem with resistance 2, but I hoped Mirror's Edge would be better. Did you play the demo, and if so was it frustrating for you as well?

You know, when you retry some places more than 100 times (I'm not exaggerating) it's kind of frustrating.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game so far. The controls work very well for me...chaining moves together is very fluid and fun to execute. The game is not easy, but not at all frustrating so far...the only part where I've had to retry multiple times (5 or 6) was a part where 4 cops were in the way. At first I was trying to fight them, but then I ended knocking out one quickly then climbing to higher ground to run away from the rest. The portions where many people + the helicopter are chasing you are thrilling...you really have to keep your momentum up and make some daring leaps across buildings.

Honestly the only thing I don't like so far is the silly "collect the secret bags" mechanic. The last thing I want to do in a game like this is slow down and search hidden corners for a pointless collectible.

The multiplatform tech discussion has been moved to the *game tech* thread. Remember game threads are for discussing the games. The differences/similarities of crossplatform titles need to be tackled in the Tech Forum.

Honestly the only thing I don't like so far is the silly "collect the secret bags" mechanic. The last thing I want to do in a game like this is slow down and search hidden corners for a pointless collectible.

Which is what people would most likely get if they wanted a longer game. Running through the levels as fast as you can I am not surprised that it is short but it is at great length to me. I've replayed the demo 10+ times so I cannot wait to pick the game up tonight. Time trial mode will be insanely fun.

You pretty much sum up my feelings for this game. I was so hyped for this game, the trailers, images, everything about it just felt good. Then I played the demo and it got me hooked. I must've played the darn thing 4-5 hours total.

Then came the full retail game. Im not that far story wise but my god im already sick of the game.
The controls are unresponsive(press a damn button and watch out! she'll not do it)
She can jump 100 feet high or across buildings but cant jump a friggin stack of boxes that are 3 feet tall which boggles me
Its not very open ended as the developers mentioned. You only get some freedom but for the most part youre set on a stupid predetermined path
The melee controls suck. I know its not a combat based game, but then dont ****in trap me in a room full of soldiers while telling me "oh youre stuck so I guess you have no choice BUT to fight them lulz"

God knows what other things piss me off about this game. I bought atleast 10+ games this year and sadly this is the only game I regret purchasing. Who knows, maybe when I get past my anger management issues ill enjoy the game. Until then my hatred for this game exceeds anything i've played in recent years.

Looks like this will be a rental for me. I don't want to end up with another game that cost me $60 and all it does is piss me off.

When you manage to finally chain a difficult set of wallruns, jumps, vaults, coils
and rolls together, the game is an absolute blast, but be prepared to play a section dozens and dozens of times over until you manage to reach that magic moment.
The game is incredibly unforgiving, both in it's environmental traversal mechanics (good, as it's pretty much entirely based on skill - the exact opposite of Assassin's Creed so to speak) and in it's combat (very bad, because the combat flat out sucks)

I finished the game twice already (hard mode is barely different from normal mode: no runner vision and even deadlier enemies, but since you already go down in a fraction of a second in normal mode it's hardly noticable) and sadly the game gets more combat focused the further you progress. Late game also throws a lot of Tomb Raider-esque slow-paced climbing passages in very narrow rooms at you which aren't nearly as exciting as the early roof top chases.

The story is utterly forgettable as well and the 2d animated cut-scenes are just plain ugly and don't even fit the rest of the game.

I still have a blast playing it (the time trials are hard as balls, but super addicting and rewarding) as there are just enough fresh and glorious moments to make me forgive some of the strange and unnecessary design decisions

Picked up the game Friday, and yes it is a lot of trial and error and you do end up restarting several missions over BUT the feeling I get playing the game, the chases, linking together moves is just plain amazing for me. When I get to a point that is frustrating me, like any game, I just turn it off or go do something else. When I come back to it, I solve it immediately.

As stated before, the levels are pretty huge BUT you are flying through them as fast as you can so it doesn't help the length of the game either. I am also glad that the game isn't open world because that brings into the equation a whole other list of issues IMO. It would turn into a game without a purpose. I like that there is a somewhat linear path with multiple variations to get to the destination.

Time trials are highly addictive for me. Going through the first time trial "Playground 1" My first time was in the 3 minute range....ouch. I dropped it down to 2:52, and then 2:23. After looking over the level and with about 3-4 more runs I was able to drop it down to 1:09. I think I can go even faster if I can keep the momentum going.

All in all, I am glad I purchased this game. I hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel because I would love for DICE to resolve everyones complaints, learn more about what they were trying to accomplish and give us a better Mirror's Edge. Make it happen EA.

Edit- Actually, IMO DICE got it right, I don't need a sequel to fix or confirm what I enjoyed. I just want a sequel to continue the experience I have with it now, if that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back