GRID

I'll grab the demo off PSN soon, but its funny how the EGO engine seems to run better on the 360 (dont know if its true though) wasn't it based off Sony's tech??

Anyone tried it with a logitech wheel yet??

well whether or not it is the kind of racing you prefer *(this is NOT Forza/GT5 type game play so no use comparing) this game looks beautiful (360 version).

720p 4XAA motion blur, LOTS of smoke and particle effects, no tearing noticable on my tv, solid frame rate, 20 cars on screen at once, flags waving, barricades deforming and tires bouncing, sweet looking damage model with physical implications, instant replay during the race with rewind/redo is an interesting twist as well. It really FEELS like you are in a race with a lot of other drivers. it's gritty and real feeling.

4xAA adds unbelievable image quality for a console. it's hard for me to even play Burnout Paradise (or even GTA4) after this and I thought that looked amazing. although PGR4 still holds it own graphically compared to this in certain categories.

oh and even with the odd (to some) wheel movement the in-cockpit view is the most playable and realistic I've tried. really clear detail out the window makes it superior from a driving aspect than any in car mode I've yet played.

Fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just dont see how 4xAA is going to make the unrealistic, undetailed graphics any better. The graphics aren't terrible, but there is a lot of motion blur to make up for the lack of programming skill in the graphics department.

Look into the far distance, and the graphics really lack quality.

And the handling is woeful. Doesn't feel like you're racing at all.

I just played the Ps3 version, It looks really clean, the effects are good, I like how you can customize to any button config...

BUT

This has to be the poorest handling racer i've played, I dunno, it is pretty late over here, but I can handle Gt5 with all assists off, and in grid I just keep spinning out!

I did play it with a controller (i'll try my g25 later) but its just way too sensitive...

EDIT: I did play the game with all assists OFF, i'm still to try it with them ON.

I just dont see how 4xAA is going to make the unrealistic, undetailed graphics any better. The graphics aren't terrible, but there is a lot of motion blur to make up for the lack of programming skill in the graphics department.

Look into the far distance, and the graphics really lack quality.

what? no, not on my version/tv/eyes

And this is why you shouldn't fall for well directed overhyped preview videos. The actual gameplay is nowhere near as thrilling as the videos made it out to be. Graphics are disappointing too.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Obviously it's not a sim, but very cool none the less. Graphics are simply spot on. Clean and detailed, but with all the grit of real racing. I liked how damage and collisions were handled. And overall the presentation is very nice. Once I got used to the handling, it made for some very enjoyable racing.

Some stages dont look all that great. But the city stage of the demo where you take on multiple cars looks awesome. The first stage of the demo wasnt anything special though. I think it is much better looking than DIRT and the replays looks kind of similar to what was shown to us from the trailers. Just not as smooth. The sense of speed and smooth visuals that we were shown in the trailers did lots of difference, but unfortunately the console versions are just 30fps.

Downloaded on 360... I played the first race.. Graphics are pretty good, no slow downs, no reddish palette I remember in Dirt demo and finally a game that put 4xaa to good use.. oh boy, it really makes a difference.. I hope we start to see this in every game from now on.. No more distracting jaggies, I agree that after seeing this, it is very hard to go back! Everything looks so clean!

Handling, I do not know.. Usually it takes me a few games to get used to it. Btw, try windshield cam. It usually makes it a lot east to drive the cars. My feeling is it is less arcady than DIRT, but more arcady then PGR series.

The physics are absolutely bloody awful, utter show stopper for me. Boring and just completey unnatural feeling. I do enjoy arcade races such as PGR but this was just too arcadey.

Demo (PS3) was utter crap. Physics was a big no-no and gone was the feeling which was showed at the offical "gameplay footage" trailer. GFX was average.

Maybe I am spoiled by motorstorm/GT5prologue combination. :/

Demo (PS3) was utter crap. Physics was a big no-no and gone was the feeling which was showed at the offical "gameplay footage" trailer. GFX was average.

I'm sorry but Motostorm looks like a bag of ass, this game destroys it utterly.

Just my opinion of course.

Gosh! The level of debate here is incredible! Once again B3D shows itself as the Shining Light of Mature Debate amongst the gaming communities throughout the internet. With such well formed opinions as 'Demo was utter crap' and cleverly cutting arguments like 'Motorstorm looks like a bag of ass', we can look back with pride at how we've managed to stretch the human capacity for communication, to understand each other and reflect upon different individual takes on Life's rich tapestry of experiences.

It's posts like these that make me proud to be a Mod here :yep2:

Hard to compared a game as cartoony as this to Motorstorm, but I think Motorstorm makes this look bad, which is surprising when you consider it is a launch game.

The reason I use such harsh words to describe MS (addmitedly over harsh) is because it bug me that its talked about as if its some amazing looking game the likes of which has never been seen on a platform other than the PS3.

I had the opportunity to play it recently on a friends PS3, I was expecting something amazing and what I got was something that looked at best average. Dirt tops it with ease IMO.

I'm sorry but Motostorm looks like a bag of ass, this game destroys it utterly.

Just my opinion of course.

Yes, I agree. What I meant was if I want good arcade racer I play Motorstorm because it has good "arcade physics" to play with. When I want realistic driving model and good gfx I go for GT5p.

GRID is an abomination of arcade racer for me. It just was not fun.

EDIT: As Shifty Geezer noted, "utter crap", "abomination" and "bag of ass" really are not part of mature discussion in B3D, therefore I apologize. However, on my defence I have to add that I was very angry when I wrote my first post because I wasted couple of hours of my life to this game instead of playing something else like Super StardustHD! :)

There are few nice things about this GRID engine and it is the deformation of cars. I'd like to see atleast that level of deformation in GT5 next year. Maybe I have to give this game another try and see if it gets any better.

Come on, it wasnt that bad.

Downloaded on 360... I played the first race.. Graphics are pretty good, no slow downs, no reddish palette I remember in Dirt demo and finally a game that put 4xaa to good use.. oh boy, it really makes a difference.. I hope we start to see this in every game from now on.. No more distracting jaggies, I agree that after seeing this, it is very hard to go back! Everything looks so clean!

Handling, I do not know.. Usually it takes me a few games to get used to it. Btw, try windshield cam. It usually makes it a lot east to drive the cars. My feeling is it is less arcady than DIRT, but more arcady then PGR series.
Agreed. It's perhaps the best speed-racing game this generation as a whole. I wouldn't categorize it as a sim or an Arcade game, it's a mix of both genres aesthetics and gameplay, in my opinion.

The online is truely amazing and it's also so fun.

Is there any other racer where you can spin in place?
It feels like side tires have way different torques. :(

Cars look great within Dirt's signature look. Amount of stuff on the screen is pretty impressive too.
Not fan of the static environmental lighting.

Back