There are games on the Dreamcast that looks better than Metal Gear Solid 2?

PSman

Banned
One of the discussion in the MGS4 thread caught attention, about how there are games on the DC that looks better and have more details texture than MGS2.

Is that really true? Are there games on the DC that have better graphics than MGS2?:?:. If so, what games are those?

One of the discussion in the MGS4 thread caught attention, about how there are games on the DC that looks better and have more details texture than MGS2.

Is that really true? Are there games on the DC that have better graphics than MGS2?:?:. If so, what games are those?

Yes its true shenmue is one of them.
Resident Evil code veronia maybe.
There are a lot of things that look better than MGS 2 texture wise.

Here are some shenmue II screens on the dreamcast this game is still my favourite.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/5318/shenmue1ue7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Here are some shenmue II screens on the dreamcast this game is still my favourite.

Hmm.. That's interesting..

Another question, if that's the case; can the DC handle MGS2? If Konami decide to make MGS2 for the DC will it looks as good as the PS2 version?

That's never an easy question. It would look different, not exactly better, cause a direct port wouldn't be handled properly. Hell not even the Xbox handled the port properly.

That's never an easy question. It would look different, not exactly better, cause a direct port wouldn't be handled properly. Hell not even the Xbox handled the port properly.

Thats true I wonder what would happen if they tired to port shenmue II to ps2 like they did to the xbox.

More detailed textures? sure. Look better? I guess if you like the art of a dreamcast game better, but I haven't played anything on my dreamcast that compared favorably. Code Veronica and Shenmue 1 most certainly did not look better overall. Never played Shenmue 2, but the videos of it don't suggest it tops things like MGS2 for me. I recently played through both CV on my DC and MGS2 on my PS3, and CV has understandably not aged as well.

Textures were more hi-res and rendered better(the PS2 shimmers too much!) on the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast had 8MB VRAM with 4:1 hardware compression. But the way some games on PS2 had more variety in textures, better art direction, and more complex geometry and effects helps the image look overall better.

I don't believe there could've been a MGS2 port to the Dreamcast. MGS2 showcased just what the PS2 could do with geometry. And it also had some effects I'm not sure the DC could do. And the Dreamcast had 12MB less RAM.

There are people who still have what I consider an irrational view of the DC's capabilities. Sure, the textures are nice and the output is clean in Shenmue II, but everything is really boxy and there aren't anything like the post processing effects and physical interactions you see in MGS2. And as has been said, the art direction in MGS2 is really geared to play to the PS2's strengths.

I think many people underestimate shenmue II, the first game was very good and the second one had some big changes though not everyone takes them into consideration the maps were a lot bigger, ryo was more detaild the number of characters on screen increased considerably etc.

Its hard to find any decent screens from the dreamcast version but..

Shenmue II

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2001/dc/shenmue2/shenmue2_0914_screen068.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2001/dc/shenmue2/shenmue2_0914_screen072.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2001/vgnews/090701/shenmue2/shenmue2_screen035.jpg

That's a subjective answer.

And a lot of people underestimate mgs2 texturing ,because by design it's clean and technical,but that has nothing to do with the resolution of the textures they used.

Even to make that clean tech design requires standard rez textures (256*256) even if they don't need 8 bits precision.
Shenmue certainly doesn't use bigger ones.

That's a subjective answer.

And a lot of people underestimate mgs2 texturing ,because by design it's clean and technical,but that has nothing to do with the resolution of the textures they used.

Even to make that clean tech design requires standard rez textures (256*256) even if they don't need 8 bits precision.
Shenmue certainly doesn't use bigger ones.

Maybe its just me then but the textures in Shenmue look better to my eyes than the ones in MGS2, and most of the time it seems dreamcast games use higher res textures than ps2 games, in quake 3 for example the Dreamcast textures seemed to be the same or very close to the high settings on the PC while PS2 version looked more like medium settings on the PC.

I would disagree a lot about Resident Evil Code Veronica.

Also Metal Gear Solid 2 had visual features that extended beyond what is seen in static images and the DC did not manage to touch. Textures was what the DC had an edge. But it never caught up in things such as physics and polygons

:oops: Dear lord, it's 2002 again! Won't take long until Lazy8s and PC-Engine makes an appearance as well. Shiny shine anyone? :rolleyes:

Seriously, we've had this discussion countless times 6 years ago. A search should bring up all the answers.

I would disagree a lot about Resident Evil Code Veronica.

Also Metal Gear Solid 2 had visual features that extended beyond what is seen in static images and the DC did not manage to touch. Textures was what the DC had an edge. But it never caught up in things such as physics and polygons

Yes I compleatly agree with that.

About shenmue II and MGS2, what do you guys think about the total ammount of polygons on screen?

About shenmue II and MGS2, what do you guys think about the total ammount of polygons on screen?
That is no contest. Only the most sad fanboy would dare claim Shenmue II has more polys on screen. That's not to mention all the effects MGS2 has.

That is no contest. Only the most sad fanboy would dare claim Shenmue II has more polys on screen. That's not to mention all the effects MGS2 has.

why , shenmue 2 didn't have any effects ?

Personaly I think shenmue looks better . Its doing alot of things that MGs2 never has to do either

Phil raises a good point in this thread (though somehow missing the one where I ask for opinions on RACING WHEELS :p )...

Are those games shiny-shinier?

why , shenmue 2 didn't have any effects ?

Personaly I think shenmue looks better . Its doing alot of things that MGs2 never has to do either
He asked about polygons. An area where MGS2 clearly excels over Shenmue II. Not to mention the better effects MGS2 has. This thread is taking a turn for the ludicrous. The Emotion Engine with its two VU co-processors had a clear advantage in geometry over the DC's SH-4 and MGS2 was the first game to showcase that.

Use art assets from 1997?

It did use its modifier volumes thing to do building shadows that move through the day, I think [edit: as in, it did the shadows, I think it was modifier volumes]. Very cool.

Things like modifier volumes and especially dot3 per pixel effects would have had a massive impact on the way DC games looked (no-one was interested back in 1999, even on the PC) but they would have taken visuals in a very different direction to the high polygon, high fillrate PS2.

Back