GTA4 bundles?

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
When i bought GTA4 on launch day, i was shocked to see that Sony was the only one offering a GTA4 bundle. (atleast there is no GTA4 X360 bundle in Norway, there is a 40gb PS3 GTA4 bundle for 400euro.)

I simply dont understand why Microsoft didn't make a bundle aswell. Certainly, selling a good value bundle with the biggest game of the year (possibly the biggest game of this generation) would be a very effective way to sell consoles.

Microsoft seem to be shooting themselves in the foot again, why on earth would you pay for getting the DLC, and not try to sell your console with the game when it actually launches? Aspecially when your competitor is?

Not only that, but since the game is sold out everywhere, the only way to get a GTA4 copy right now, is to buy a PS3 bundle. Which tons of people have, (i know that norways biggest electronic retailer completely sold out their PS3 GTA4 bundles in 2 days, and they had tons).

There are unofficial bundles in many retailers but maybe SCEE got the exclusive on official bundle.

When i bought GTA4 on launch day, i was shocked to see that Sony was the only one offering a GTA4 bundle. (atleast there is no GTA4 X360 bundle in Norway, there is a 40gb PS3 GTA4 bundle for 400euro.)

The same bundle is around 520 EURO in Denmark and that is still some 20 euro cheaper than if you bought them separated. I had no idea PS3´s were so cheap in Norway.

Its not actually 400euros, but 4000NOK = 505 euros.

The 400 euro's is simply the "European" price rate, (after you take away Norwegian crazy 25% VAT tax and other things), i find that price easier to post, so that more people can "comprehend" the number. Stating for example that the PS3 costed 800 euro's here at launch doesn't tell people anything if they don't know that the X360 was priced at 500 euro's at launch, if you get my drift :)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I picked up my GTA4 version here in Sweden I saw GTA4-360 bundles consisting of a green-grey Halo 3 LE 360 with a GTA4 strapped to it. Made me wonder if they still are manufacturing the Halo 3 LE console version. Cannot remember the exact price but around 3300 SEK (really expensive I thought as you can find the Premium for less than 2500 SEK), the PS3 bundle was 4390 SEK.

When I picked up my GTA4 version here in Sweden I saw GTA4-360 bundles consisting of a green-grey Halo 3 LE 360 with a GTA4 strapped to it. Made me wonder if they still are manufacturing the Halo 3 LE console version. Cannot remember the exact price but around 3300 SEK (really expensive I thought as you can find the Premium for less than 2500 SEK), the PS3 bundle was 4390 SEK.

4390 sek wow that is only 3500,- dkr

Unless you post exclusive vat* like Ostepop

*i have no issue with the "crazy" 25%, we have it as well and i pay it gladly though i am happy when i get something from the US and it isn´t caught in customs :)

4390 sek wow that is only 3500,- dkr

Unless you post exclusive vat* like Ostepop

*i have no issue with the "crazy" 25%, we have it as well and i pay it gladly though i am happy when i get something from the US and it isn´t caught in customs :)

Yes, including VAT.

Just want to say that Nordisk Film, the distributor of the Sony consoles is really ripping us off in Scandinavia. I think it´s just crazy that I can go out and buy a 360 Arcade for about 1800 SEK but I hardly can find someone selling an unbundled PS3 for less than 4000 SEK. It´s pretty amazing Sony seem to be out-selling MS here at the moment. BTW the GTA4 PS3 version (game only) seems to be outsold pretty much in every store around here, while the 360 version seem to have pretty good availability. Seems like a lot of stores under-estimated the demand or maybe there was a manufacturing bottle neck.

. I think it´s just crazy that I can go out and buy a 360 Arcade for about 1800 SEK but I hardly can find someone selling an unbundled PS3 for less than 4000 SEK.

i have browsed the x360\ps3 auctions on norways biggest internet bidding site (www.qxl.no ,- basically a norwegian version of ebay), and people who are selling Xbox 360 Pro's are struggeling to sell. I have seen atleast 10 different auctions with X360's with 10-20 games and only getting 4000 NOK if they are lucky, meanwhile used PS3's go for 3,5-4000 for the 40gb with 1-4 games (which is pretty close to retail price) and 60gb's go for 6000NOK.

It seems that X360 interest has totally died down in norway atleast.

Sony and elsewhere have said GTA has shifted PS3's.
GI.biz
...a statement from Bob McKenzie, GameStop's senior VP of merchandising."From our position, the launch of GTA IV has been tremendous in driving traffic to our stores, as well as providing a vigorous lift in PS3 console sales over this time last week," McKenzie said.
NextGen.biz
McCabe said that the Xbox 360 version had begun as the stronger seller, but that the PS3 version was closing the gap and driving more hardware sales.

Very insubstantial of course, but MS aren't making similar noises. If this is so and PS3 is seeing a bigger uptick for PS3 hardware than XB360s, it's a knock on the head for the XB360.

Very insubstantial of course, but MS aren't making similar noises. If this is so and PS3 is seeing a bigger uptick for PS3 hardware than XB360s, it's a knock on the head for the XB360.

I'm more interested in how much more hardware will be sold in total. If it's a lot, and the PS3 takes a larger share of it, but not substantially, then I think it may just as well be a huge compliment to Microsoft in that they were successful in preventing something that could have been far more damaging to them.

this is so and PS3 is seeing a bigger uptick for PS3 hardware than XB360s, it's a knock on the head for the XB360.

I actually kind of expected this. GTA has always been sony's baby in the past generations. Plus with the talk of better IQ and for a simular price to the 360, I can see this happening very easily. Had MS wanted to a nice 50 dollar price cut would have really moved the 360s....

I actually kind of expected this. GTA has always been sony's baby in the past generations. Plus with the talk of better IQ and for a simular price to the 360, I can see this happening very easily. Had MS wanted to a nice 50 dollar price cut would have really moved the 360s....

Well all the evidence shown in this thread is Euro specific. The 360 version of GTA is undoubtedly selling much high in the US, we'll find out about hardware in a week or so.

But they did introduce a price cut. Speaking in EU terms. On March 11th. They weren't doing too well in the EU market. Now they offer an excellent value HD machine at a far lower price of entry, cheaper than Wii and in the mainstream price of mass-adoption, to play this extremely popular title, and they still don't bag the sales, with people choosing to get a far more expensive PS3 instead to play the same game? "I'm gonna spend £300 to get GTAIV instead of £200..." If that's so, what can MS do to change things, or is the console destined to be marginalised to NA and the UK markets?

But let's not visit this topic until better numbers for hardware come out, as it could be totally irrelevant speculation soon to be made redundant!

But they did introduce a price cut. Speaking in EU terms. On March 11th. They weren't doing too well in the EU market. Now they offer an excellent value HD machine at a far lower price of entry, cheaper than Wii and in the mainstream price of mass-adoption, to play this extremely popular title, and they still don't bag the sales, with people choosing to get a far more expensive PS3 instead to play the same game? "I'm gonna spend £300 to get GTAIV instead of £200..." If that's so, what can MS do to change things, or is the console destined to be marginalised to NA and the UK markets?

But let's not visit this topic until better numbers for hardware come out, as it could be totally irrelevant speculation soon to be made redundant!

How is a 55% to 45% advantage of 360 to PS3 UK GTA4 sales figure from both articles that you previously linked lead you to believe that the 360 is not bagging sales in the EU or leads you to a question of marginalization in the US or UK?

Sales of US and UK will more than highly likely make the 360 GTA the top selling port in those markets. Based on the limited figures (Netherlands only) posted by GAF the 360 GTA4 leads the Netherlands market. Its a given that the PS3 GTA4 port is likely to lead Germany, France and Spain but the 360 port will be right behind it. The 360 has no problem putting a high profile game in the top five in almost any Euro market.

I'm more interested in how much more hardware will be sold in total. If it's a lot, and the PS3 takes a larger share of it, but not substantially, then I think it may just as well be a huge compliment to Microsoft in that they were successful in preventing something that could have been far more damaging to them.
That's a good point, and a perspective that a lot of people overlook. Decisions should be based on relative effects, not absolute outcomes.

Sure, the big investment by MS didn't give them a big leg up on Sony, but had Sony decided to pay up to make it exclusive or get the DLC, MS could have been in for a world of hurt.

How is a 55% to 45% advantage of 360 to PS3 UK GTA4 sales figure from both articles that you previously linked lead you to believe that the 360 is not bagging sales in the EU or leads you to a question of marginalization in the US or UK?
I was talking about hardware sales. We know GTA is going to sell more as it has a larger install. The question is whether the game was shifting consoles and which consoles it was shifting. We've had plenty of sensible expectations that a cheap GTA4 bundle would do wonders for XB360 in Europe. Now we have a chance to see if that happened or not.

Back