Are you going to get GTA4?

Are you going to get GTA4?

• Total voters
I swear some people must have broken copies of this game or broken consoles (or more likely they've got dodgy downloaded versions). I've been playing the game for a few days now (not constantly obviously :)). I've never seen a tree, or any other item, apear in front of me. In fact I haven't really noticed much pop in at all, at worst some in the distance, but only occasionally.

Well if they downloaded the internet version and burned it to a shoddy medium, then its likely that the DVD driver is have to work hard in some places to put together the data which can result in delays from the read side, etc.

Basically, its not worth worrying about until people see it confirmed with RETAIL copies of the game.

I'm reminded of all the people complaining about how buggy AC was when the PC version leaked and it turned out to be a bad prerelease version with a bad crack to boot.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

http://www.gamersyde.com/game_1077.html

Grand Theft Auto IV
PS3 /360

Comparison PS3 /360 by Dot50cal

Length: 4 minutes 34 seconds - Format: 1280 x 720

tcm_1077_0002.jpg
tcm_1077_0004.jpg
Voir Galerie
Bittorrent

Download

Watch it now

Watch the stream

Direct download

Server #5
  • Direct download
Well, now we need a outdor comparative ;) Dot50
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Theft Auto IV XBOX 360

Gameplay - Exploration

Length: 5 minutes 37 seconds - Format: 1280 x 720 46.875 fps

tcm_1077_0001.jpg
tcm_1077_0003.jpg
tcm_1077_0004.jpg
Voir Galerie
Bittorrent

Download

Watch it now

Watch the stream

Direct download

Server #5
  • Direct download
Better than in the screens .Pop up very clear in some situations , and the blur filter is ugly in the distance . And well, the shadows maps not have the resolution of Crysis, but is a Third person game
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pop Up - in the first scene -

HD video 720p 35 mb

http://www.mediafire.com/?d1yyy5dbdm1

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, I got bored very quickly with all versions except for GTA3, so I am a bit on the fence.

Well all my friends bought it, so I broke down and got the PS3 version also.

Last night at the midnight opening here in Oslo, the PS3 version got sold out 30 mins after they opened the store.

I have no idea how many copies they had nor if the X360 got sold out 5 min later, but the store was scheduled to only be open for 1h only.

But when I bought my copy today, it seemed that more PS3 copies got sold than X360, anecdotal, but it seems the pre-order rumors could be not just pure fanboy stuff.

Could a reason for the perceived lower uptake of the X360 version, be because its available as an ISO, ie no need to rush out and get it day 1. Its okay to still play SP for a few days and then buy it when you want to go online?

Like I said your milage will vary with technical issues. Still Vice City was better compare to PC GTA3 though, which borderline unplayable most of the time.

On what hardware? I picked up GTA3 the day it launched on the PC in the UK and was playing it on a GF4 Ti4200. Far from being unplayable I was playing at 1024x768 very smoothly. The only time there was any ever slow down was when there was a lot of dust kicked up from a helecopter. I understand that had something to do with the way it used the edram on the PS2.

Still, it was more than playable and looked quite a bit better to boot. Granted, a GF4Ti was still pretty new at that point so you were more likely to be playing the game on a GF3 derivative or maybe even a GF2. I don't know what it was like on those systems but I can't imagine it being any less smooth than the PS2 version at lower resolutions.

As for GTA4, I'll be happy (and in fact don't expect anything more than) a direct port of the 360 version with the technical issues ironed out at higher res and framerate. By the time this game comes to the PC, if it does at all I'll probably have a GT200 so no worries at all there :D

Thats one site have courage to show 9.50 to x360 and 10.0 for ps3 agreed with pop in,frame rate problens,loads etc for Redmond console.

X360
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187732

PS3
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187818

They are different reviewers with different opinions, I don't think they're directly comparable.

There's also no mention of pop in or loading times in either article. The frame rate issue (" Occassional frame-rate issues"), is only mentioned in the "good/bad" section of the 360 review, which doesn't even exist on the PS3's review. Further, the author of the PS3 review is from PSW/Playstation World magazine while the 360 review is from the general CVG publication...

So I think it's safe to say you've grossly misrepresented what was said.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134736

I still wonder why rockstar didn't do the same for the 360 version?

Or they feel like they were needed one version running @ 720p to avoid pre launch bashing.
Wonder again about what MS might think now.

It'll be interesting to see how this resolution/AA/filtering/HDR(?) thing plays out. Most people won't care because they'll be the version for the console they own. For us forum types, there will be a weird heated war over which is better.

Personally, I've never put resolution or AA first. When I get a game for the PC, I crank the details as high as I can and then I adjust the resolution/AA/AF until it's playable. It's always details/effects as number 1.

I'm curious to see if I'll like the look of the PS3 version better.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134736

I still wonder why rockstar didn't do the same for the 360 version?

Or they feel like they were needed one version running @ 720p to avoid pre launch bashing.
Wonder again about what MS might think now.

I don't have a copy of the game yet, but judging from the reaction at the IGN Boards, not all gamers are happy with the blurrier PS3 look. There's a lot of angry fanboys over there.

The "dithering" image dot50cal posted comparing a night scene from both copies, and the first reaction I had was one wondering why the PS3 version looked like it had vaseline smeared on it. I'm pretty sure I'll prefer the 360, which is the one I'm still planning on picking up.

They are different reviewers with different opinions, I don't think they're directly comparable.

There's also no mention of pop in or loading times in either article. The frame rate issue (" Occassional frame-rate issues"), is only mentioned in the "good/bad" section of the 360 review, which doesn't even exist on the PS3's review. Further, the author of the PS3 review is from PSW/Playstation World magazine while the 360 review is from the general CVG publication...

So I think it's safe to say you've grossly misrepresented what was said.

I think you dont understand... those analisis come and post with same site despite origin of reviewer,so it does count after all.

They dont have same line of IGN with talk about problens(load times,frame rate issues,dithering,pop in etc) with x360 version and does show 10.0 in graphics department ... in another situations ps3 games loose .2 .5 only with load times despite same IQ (like HL2 for x360 and ps3).

I think you dont understand... those analisis come and post with same site despite origin of reviewer,so it does count after all.
They came from different publications with the same publisher. They are not comparable, sorry. They are two distinct authors from two distinct publications with two distinct opinions.

They came from different publications with the same publisher. They are not comparable, sorry. They are two distinct authors from two distinct publications with two distinct opinions.

...And same site and publisher so as i said before they have a courage to expose this numbers despite many publications does not have made before.

I don't have a copy of the game yet, but judging from the reaction at the IGN Boards, not all gamers are happy with the blurrier PS3 look. There's a lot of angry fanboys over there.

The "dithering" image dot50cal posted comparing a night scene from both copies, and the first reaction I had was one wondering why the PS3 version looked like it had vaseline smeared on it. I'm pretty sure I'll prefer the 360, which is the one I'm still planning on picking up.
theres more to it than soft vs sharp (and the ps3 version doesn't look that much softer). the ps3 version is said to actually look cleaner, theres slightly less pop in, the load times are slightly better, and dot50cal said that he noticed no tearing on the PS3 version but noticed some on the 360 version. but if a slightly sharper image is what you're looking for, then go for the 360 version.

personally, i think you should just get it for whatever system your friends are getting it for.

It's the same street corner as the crossing in the "lol tree out the nowhere" gif.

Can't they just remove that blasted tree from both versions and no one would notice ?

Also, good to know that they optimize the PS3 version so that it runs smoother with post processing despite lower resolution. Would be terrible if they left it alone.

I gave up playing past GTAs because the gameplay didn't appeal to me. If I can find a copy today, I might get GTA4 just to check out the city. It looks alive.

EDIT: I just check the poll result. What the hell, london-boy voted. Wondering what he's up to.

PS3. Because it's what I own.

You know damn right Sony flew in some code ninjas and haxored r*'s codebase and set the following:
while game.status=running
do make everyone which they had a PS3

:p

Back