Why are Mac owners generally pretentious jerks?

PARANOiA

Veteran
A fairly simple question. Everyone I know that owns a Mac - particularly those ex-PC owners - feels the need to send me emails on every article about how great Apple is, all the positive news on every release, comparisons by 'professional bloggers' who prefer OSX to Vista, even the fucking share prices. It makes me angry!

When I say Macs are not for me, I am constantly bombarded with "you're just anti-Apple" garbage. I guess I prefer paying less for superior hardware, what a fool I am! And to think I'll need to suffer the pain of upgrading specific parts in my own machine to save even more money rather than throwing the whole machine in the bin when it's time for a better piece of hardware.

Why is it so? This is not just an isolated situation... people on Macs seem to feel the need to spread the love everywhere they go. Why, world, why??

And to prove I'm not completely anti-Apple, I even own an Ipod, and look forward to playing with the Iphone once they release it here.

I think you, I and people just naturally hate being told of the divinity of things when we don't "naturally" see it that way. :p For example, I am bombarded by the goodness of certain games even though I have zero interest in the games themselves or I disagree for some reason. It's just annoying because I don't give a rats ass - I'll never play them.

:p

Please. Can we not do this? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy denigrating another group of human beings for being different from me as much as the next anglo-saxon male, but can't why don't we all just watch a hockey game instead, eh? The Wild are about to play the Sharks, that's bound to be a good matchup regardless of whether you
a) like hockey
b) like either team

go watch hockey and drink a beer or make love to your wife or tuneup a car (or a computer, if you must).

I'm just gonna go watch the hockey game, personally, I've had enough of overclocking my e84/88gt rig for now. I think I've reached the limits of air without move volts all around, and I'm not so comfortable doing that with as much voltage as I'm already feeding my CPU, nor do I want to ruin my step-up ability to a 98gx2 or better within the next 120 days or so...

And for the record, I've never personally had a problem with a Macintosh owner, or even any apple product owner, and I know plenty (who doesn't, now?)

I bought the original 128K Mac and then a few newer models, but spent most of my career on Windows and *NIX machines. Lately, I'm working on all 3.

It's just a sign that your friends like you, and are trying to share their delights :)

Personally, I like MS professional applications more because they are well rounded. Apple has an edge in leisure/home applications.

Both OSes don't do a thing for me. I like Apple hardware in general except the mouse. I love MS and Logitech mouse.

Please. Can we not do this? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy denigrating another group of human beings for being different from me as much as the next anglo-saxon male, but can't why don't we all just watch a hockey game instead, eh? The Wild are about to play the Sharks, that's bound to be a good matchup regardless of whether you
a) like hockey
b) like either team

go watch hockey and drink a beer or make love to your wife or tuneup a car (or a computer, if you must).

I'm just gonna go watch the hockey game, personally, I've had enough of overclocking my e84/88gt rig for now. I think I've reached the limits of air without move volts all around, and I'm not so comfortable doing that with as much voltage as I'm already feeding my CPU, nor do I want to ruin my step-up ability to a 98gx2 or better within the next 120 days or so...
19990428h.jpg

And for the record, I've never personally had a problem with a Macintosh owner, or even any apple product owner, and I know plenty (who doesn't, now?)

I've had my problems with PC and Mac owners.

Did you see Buffalo's comeback against Tampa tonight? Insane! Hockey rules!

A fairly simple question.

Sounds like you need a new email. And feel bad for some of them. People will flog stuff they bought to make themselves feel more secure about their purchase. In the case of a Mac, a computer that generally costs about two to three times too much than it has a right too, you cant blame them for the way they act.

Heh, the thing that most put me off getting a Mac was the Mac fanboys. In the end I went ahead and got a Macbook. Very happy with it, but it certainly has it's flaws.
CC

Heh, the thing that most put me off getting a Mac was the Mac fanboys. In the end I went ahead and got a Macbook. Very happy with it, but it certainly has it's flaws.
CC

They seem to be in a "holy war" against PC/owners but are probably frustated becouse most PC owners don't even care. Though I have to say that the fanboys do have the strangest arguments for why MAC is superior. I even remember seeing on Apples homepage 10 reasons why MAC is better... one of them was it has Intel Core 2 Duo, hmmm. Kindoff makes the attempts look desperate.

Neverthless in the end it is a choice, MAC has it's great features, software and reliability. PC comes with support for more and cons and pluses etc etc.

I dont know why they bother, the MAC is basically a PC with OS X bolted on.

The x86 computer architecture will basicaly kill everything else off in the end. Well until some new technology comes out that make the PC look like a ZX Spectrum.

You know, I used to get into the whole pc versus mac thing like 15 years ago. These days I have a couple of PCs running linux and a macbook pro for work. OSX is mostly nice though rather confining. The hardware is top notch though. Probably the best notebook I've had including my thinkpad which I was quite fond of.

In this day and age, arguments about operating systems seem rather passée. VI versus Emacs is still alive and well though. :p

Nite_Hawk

I have five computers:
1 XPP
3 Linux
1 OSX (mac)
1 OSX with Vmware for XPP (mac)

I don't particularly like the Mac but my wife does and the parental controls are great for my young kids. I like that I can open a shell and use unix commands, but I like gnome better than aqua. I find xpp great for games, but I hate dlls and the registry for the way the slows xpp down over time.

So here's a mac owner who will never tell you such.

Mac has better portables, PCs are better desktops.

Mac has better software for certain proffessional apps (film etc), PC for others (coding).

If something goes wrong with the Mac (this doesnt happen often), its a pain in the ass to figure out what went wrong. For PC its viceversa, something goes wrong all the time, but its trivial to fix.

I just wish Apple would release OSX to work on PCs then there could be a real throw down. Until they lose that fear of competition I just don't see the point.

On the laptop hardware front they are nice, but the lag on technology behind the smaller Asian companies while being ahead of the huge slow US companies in general.

I hate it when people try to tell me in a friendly way that I'm a stupid dork because I use and like Linux. Because everyone knows that using Windows and doing it the Microsoft way makes you a winner, and everything else makes you a geek at best.

I just wish Apple would release OSX to work on PCs then there could be a real throw down. Until they lose that fear of competition I just don't see the point.

Aren't Macs now mostly PCs with their OS? Or is there still some proprietary hardware that OSX needs?

Back