Codemasters GRID - Best looking racer ever?

How did what you saw at Play Live compare with this trailer? Some scenes, the mid-air collision and the pack of cars, are TV realistic in this little trailer - extremely smooth and with realistic motion in vehicles and camera. Was the fault with the game showcase a problem of the racing view? These game invariably suffer in the graphics department when you actually play because the artistry gets a little sidelined - you don't get the camera angles, camera wobbles, vehicle motion is very slight as it's all relative to your vehicle, etc.

It looks like a game, not TV. It doesn't look as good as DiRT. I played it with all racing views. The lighting (horrible orange tint) makes it look like Burnout. I took a video actually...might try to upload it.

People adore renders, screens in impossible resolutions, the photo modes and the altered captures. Thus we forgot the crude reality;)

After the red pill

GT5 prologe - 1080p and 720p

People , when sees these screens, say that in his HDTV not is thus

People adore renders, screens in impossible resolutions, the photo modes and the altered captures. Thus we forgot the crude reality

Isn't that true? ;)

After the red pill

Thanks for bringing in some real play ingame ss, makes comparision more fair. Although the GRID one has motion-blur, have one without it?

I assume it is becouse of different types of filters for the "glasses"! /JK

Detail.jpg

We should keep GT discussion in the other thread though... or rename this one >_<
(I am going to post a new F40 video now).

People adore renders, screens in impossible resolutions, the photo modes and the altered captures. Thus we forgot the crude reality;)

After the red pill

Are you implying that the actual GT5 game looks like that in real life? I have the demo and looks much better than that!

http://www.cynamite.de/imgserver/bdb/82000/82039/Detail.jpg

Hmm I dont see how a replay ss with high brightness/contrast and mb covering all detail except the car will invalidate the ingame ss. And talking about the new car game the ss posted is ingame play but got some mb.

Are you implying that the actual GT5 game looks like that in real life? I have the demo and looks much better than that!

He posted undoctored ingame play screenshots. Give or take brightness/contrast setting for different HDTV setups. For example teh replay ss by Dantruon looksto have way to high brightness/contrast to give more life like lighting but looks overdone. PErhaps it is a photo offscreen becouse thoose tend to have more brightness/contrast (mostly to much) due how the camera captures the surrouding light (and if flash is used).

Still I think the cars in GT5 has a bit more detail ingame.
<-- Scratch that, after watching the video I got to give it to GRID.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should keep GT discussion in the other thread though... or rename this one >_<
(I am going to post a new F40 video now).

To be fair the thread name is "Codemasters GRID - Best looking racer ever?". A simple yes or no does not give anything without backing it up with ingame screenshots of both games. With that in hand then one can talk about differences etc. And a link to the F40 video should be good if it is ingame play. :smile:

EDIT: Actually that GT40 video goes inline with the ingame ss posted by Galduta, except it is recorded offscreen giving to much birghtness/contrast overdoing the white color IMO.

Yes... skin-deep comparison. :)

They seem to be 2 different games to me (framerate, resolution, arcade-vs-sim, damage-vs-none, price-range [hi-end PC vs console], ...). Aside from being incomplete, they both look good (in fact, Burnout Paradise, MotorStorm and DiRT all look great for their purposes).

EDIT: Besides, for post #63, you can do the comparison without looking at GRID.

EDIT 2:

:yes: Just played another round on GTHD demo. Looks good. That particular screen shot showed a bland environment. The game is capable of doing much more (more cars, better lighting and contrast depending on viewing angle -- in general better visuals overall because there are more things to work with). In-motion, the game looks even better than screenshots, not to mention the replays.

I am pretty sure GRID will look better than DiRT and DiRT is eye-candy too.

They seem to be 2 different games to me (framerate, resolution, arcade-vs-sim, damage-vs-none, price-range [hi-end PC vs console], ...). Aside from being incomplete, they both look good (in fact, Burnout Paradise, MotorStorm and DiRT all look great for their purposes).

Yes it does seem more arcadish and it would be interesting to know the AA level for the console version. Also some more day ingame ss would be good. The GRID one has a orange tint but then it is sunset and goes inline with the sun color. Sunsets and the lighting for it seems hard to do since many games fail in doing that in a realistic way.

Yes it does seem more arcadish and it would be interesting to know the AA level for the console version. Also some more day ingame ss would be good. The GRID one has a orange tint but then it is sunset and goes inline with the sun color. Sunsets and the lighting for it seems hard to do since many games fail in doing that in a realistic way.

Some of the shots I have seen have 0 AA, I'm afraid if this is th fate for consoles.

:???:

:rolleyes: Lets not get into posts like that shall we? Its very easy to pick a poor shot of any game and then claim it looks bad.

Huh? That "poor shot" of Grid has the same dramatic camera angle and flashy composition as the other PR bullshots, just without the PR bullshot effects. Without these obscuring effects, the low geometry and simplistic lighting become very evident. It's a very different type of screenshot from the "lone car on a bland motorsport track" sort of screenshot often cherry-picked to slam certain other racing games.

I don't think that my Grid screenshot will turn out to be an unrepresentatively unflattering one. If Codemaster's track record is anything to go by, it will be the other PR shots that turn out to be unrepresentatively flattering compared to what the game's going to look like on my TV.

I agree with that sentiment..

Based on some offline rendering related stuff that I've come across, and looking at the Halo3 GDC presentations in that light, I'd say that the difference is how Polyphony works with linear/logarithmic color spaces, gamma correction and stuff.

I can't say that I fully understand the math behind it (and I don't have to, being a lead modeler ;) but it does look like games that handle this right tend to be free of the overexposed HDRI lighting syndrome. GRID may be an example of doing it the wrong way, whereas GT5 does it right, just as Halo3.

If anyone's interested, here's a quick writeup related to offline CG:
http://www.xsi-blog.com/archives/133
For realtime implementations, take a look at Bungie's presentation...

Huh? That "poor shot" of Grid has the same dramatic camera angle and flashy composition as the other PR bullshots, just without the PR bullshot effects. Without these obscuring effects, the low geometry and simplistic lighting become very evident.

I'm sorry, since when is your opinion the standard around here?

:yes: Just played another round on GTHD demo. Looks good. That particular screen shot showed a bland environment. The game is capable of doing much more (more cars, better lighting and contrast depending on viewing angle -- in general better visuals overall because there are more things to work with). In-motion, the game looks even better than screenshots, not to mention the replays.

I am pretty sure GRID will look better than DiRT and DiRT is eye-candy too.

I was talking about GT5: Proloque demo from the japanese PSN which looks awesome ;)

Huh? That "poor shot" of Grid has the same dramatic camera angle and flashy composition as the other PR bullshots, just without the PR bullshot effects. Without these obscuring effects, the low geometry and simplistic lighting become very evident.

Oh come on. Evident to who? Evident to people who have a problem with this game being compared to GT5 perhaps?

I don't think that my Grid screenshot will turn out to be an unrepresentatively unflattering one. If Codemaster's track record is anything to go by, it will be the other PR shots that turn out to be unrepresentatively flattering compared to what the game's going to look like on my TV.

I guess you didn't bother to watch the video then? Most of these "PR bullshots" shots that you keep talking about were lifted straight out of the real time video running on a PC. Including incidentally the specific one you posted which in fact, looks incredible in motion.

Back