Codemasters GRID - Best looking racer ever?

There you go ... 30FPS on PS3 and 360. 30FPS is great for a number of things, but not for racing games. It could still be good, but chances that I will like it have gone down considerably.

Seconded. I also remember the bullshots they released for the PS2 version of TOCA - too bad the game didn't even look close to them. I think I'll just wait until they have an actual demo out (or better 720p footage).

i'll say Grid would challenge GT5:p's place as the best looking racer. but i can not come in conclusion of which one looks the best overall, yet. i still think gt5p has by far the best looking car model, which in a racer game is the highest priority to me. it gives me the feeling of one car in gt5p equals the amount of polycount of two cars in Grid. not to mention better AA and higher rendering res of gt5p. its lighting to date is unsurpassed, taking into account of how natrual it looks without the overbloom in Grid.
Grid shines at its detailed track with lots of geometries. but we've seen our gt5's London track is right up there in terms of sheer quantity. one thing Grid is ahead of is definetly car damage, which adds more realism when driving. but the final gt5 will include that too so says mr.Yamaguchi.
so for now, i'd say 50/50 between GT5:p and Grid. the final GT5 might well be better looking overall though.

I'm gonna pre-empt this discussion before we enter a PGR4 versus GT5 argument! They're up against everyone, mostly their own hype on this vid. If they pull it off, they'll have surpassed all other race developers in graphical realism.

The car models look great but it cannot compete with GT5:p's car models and we know that GT5 is still a work in progress, so i have to disagree with you on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked how smooth the trailer was, but I guess the 360 & Ps3 version will be at 30fps :(
But there might still be hope for the Ps3 version though, as dirt on the ps3 ran at a higher framerate than he 360 version, but it also came out 3 months later :(

Did any one see the tire hit one of the cars, and the suspension absorbed the hit :)

Unlikely considering the vid was running on a high end PC.

I wonder what kind of GPU will be required to play this game at full @60? Im looking forward to 1920 by 1080 on my big tv. Downloading mods will be the icing on the cake for me!

I wonder what kind of GPU will be required to play this game at full @60? Im looking forward to 1920 by 1080 on my big tv. Downloading mods will be the icing on the cake for me!

He did say high end, whats that 7900GTX?..

I cant wait to play it on my home rig (2x8800GTX ;)) going to be awesome.

Of cause it looks better then GT:5P

Lets see the actual game run on a PC or Console for that matter. Codemasters have a history (in my mind) of underdelivering on fantastic trailers and screenshots.

I hope they do deliver in this case though i have no doubt that on the 360 and PS3 this game will not be groundbreaking.

Great looking racer and great trailer (song is by queens of the stone age by the way). Really gets you excited.

I think the GT5 models may look better, but I think what blew everyone away with this trailer was that fractions of a second in cockpit view, which surpassed GT5 imo for that part.

As Carmack says, consoles drive the development decisions these days, so we should at least be getting the same assets if not the same framerate, and that's pretty good.

Dirt looked darn good too, so that makes it highly possible they pull this off imo. It's not too great of an graphical increase on their previous work.

As Carmack says, consoles drive the development decisions these days, so we should at least be getting the same assets if not the same framerate, and that's pretty good.

Dirt looked darn good too, so that makes it highly possible they pull this off imo. It's not too great of an graphical increase on their previous work.

Why?, PC's are capable of so much more. Why should they be held back by consoles?.

Why?, PC's are capable of so much more. Why should they be held back by consoles?.

Unfortunatly thats the way the market is at the moment. There is simply more market for console games of this type than PC games so devs don't put a lot of extra effort into the PC version to take advantage of its extra power.

Thats said, we can certainly expect more than increased resolution and framerate over the console versions - at least if Dirt is anything to go by. Improved shadows, reflections, particle effects and even geometrical detail were present in the PC version but its questionable as to how noticable these were.

Great looking racer and great trailer (song is by queens of the stone age by the way). Really gets you excited.

I think the GT5 models may look better, but I think what blew everyone away with this trailer was that fractions of a second in cockpit view, which surpassed GT5 imo for that part.

Played the game at Play.com Live, doesn't look all that. I'd say it doesn't know what it wants to be. Graphics aren't as good Burnout Paradise IMO. The in cockpit view doesn't look anywhere near as good as GT5p. Then again this was a 60% 360 build.

Played the game at Play.com Live, doesn't look all that. I'd say it doesn't know what it wants to be. Graphics aren't as good Burnout Paradise IMO. The in cockpit view doesn't look anywhere near as good as GT5p. Then again this was a 60% 360 build.

Cool, was it fun?.

Well another guy at GAF also played it at play and said this

I played Grid at play.com live. Didnt spend much time with it but the drifting is fun. Its easy to drift so is definately leaning towards the more arcade style at least with this aspect of the game. Has nice touches like tire barriers not being static but made up of individual tires with full physics. The card damage is also really well done.

The graphics really are stunning. I also saw GT5:p and just standing and watching both games from a distance, Grid jumps out as the more visually impressive game. Of course its not 1080p at 60 fps and has a totally different art style. They were also only showing the London track from GT5:p which may not be the best track to show off the visuals, i dont know, i havent seen any of the other tracks. For Grid i saw two, one city based and one race track. You can definately tell its not running at 30 fps though. Its nowhere near as smooth as GT5:p.

I cant compare the racing of the two as i didnt get a chance to play GT5:p or a normal race car in Grid.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10281054&postcount=300

Well another guy at GAF also played it at play and said this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10281054&postcount=300

I disagree. GT5p was the sharpest game there. GRID looked OK, not as good as Dirt (yet) and I wouldn't even say as good as Burnout. Art style hasn't quite clicked yet, obv they're still working out. It looks like a game, whereas GT5p just takes it a step further. Incar was pretty poor, and the lighting was odd. I can see it looking as good as Dirt. From a far it might look good, but it's not yet all that.

However, I still don't think it knows what it wants to be. Is it an arcade racer, or a sim? The drifiting physics were far too heavy - you'd just drift even if you didn't want to. So saying it's easy to drift is fine - but drifiting all the time is not how I want to race. IMO they need to work on the physics...it's far too floaty. Was it fun? If i knew what it wanted to be then yes maybe, but it was a mixture of burnout, pgr4, and gt.

Atrphis and I seemed to have come out of Play.com with diff opinions. I saw the potential of Haze, he did not. He thinks GT5 looks worse than Grid - I did not.

Games that look better than GRiD - DiRT, GT5p, PGR4, Burnout Paradise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. GT5p was the sharpest game there. GRID looked OK, not as good as Dirt (yet) and I wouldn't even say as good as Burnout. Art style hasn't quite clicked yet, obv they're still working out. It looks like a game, whereas GT5p just takes it a step further.
How did what you saw at Play Live compare with this trailer? Some scenes, the mid-air collision and the pack of cars, are TV realistic in this little trailer - extremely smooth and with realistic motion in vehicles and camera. Was the fault with the game showcase a problem of the racing view? These game invariably suffer in the graphics department when you actually play because the artistry gets a little sidelined - you don't get the camera angles, camera wobbles, vehicle motion is very slight as it's all relative to your vehicle, etc.

Back