Codemasters GRID - Best looking racer ever?

Because they are doing 30 fps arcadey city racer?

I may be wrong of course given I don't follow racing much, but that was the impression I got from the recent EDGE round table with racing game developers.

They said themselves they were going more after PGR3, didn't they?

I must have missed that round table. Cool, I was hoping for more realism. It sure does look like it could be pretty though.

Very impressive. I'll keep an eye on this one. Never did pick up Dirt and i've been meaning to get a great looking PC racer for a while.

Games for Windows too by the looks of it so hopefully we'll get a decent port.

Can anyone post screenshots for us who cannot view the video (@ work!). Getting excited but got nothing to go on!

Cheers.

I don't understand the excitement. The paint rendering looks really bad and the environments look a lot like Burnout. The flash edits make it really hard to have a good look at the game, but nothing really stands out for me.

In their many years developing games across all the various platforms, when has codemasters really pushed the graphics envelope? So why should we expect them to pull ahead of Bizarre or PD now? Dirt had my hopes up recently, until I got to play it, so I've learned that past performance is indeed a good indicator of future performance. I'm going to take a wait and see.

Got a feeling those vids are a bit like some of the Crysis ones. In that you could see those graphics, but really only get 10FPS.

Sure it's in game footage, but is it really running at that framerate?

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, because that trailer looks wonderful.

Why not large screenshots of both the Ferrari F1 and ingame/other car set? :smile:

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6159_en.html
http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6119_en.html

Got a feeling those vids are a bit like some of the Crysis ones. In that you could see those graphics, but really only get 10FPS.

Sure it's in game footage, but is it really running at that framerate?

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, because that trailer looks wonderful.

In a car game it is better to not have the framerate dip under 30fps atleast. In FPS games some dips down to 10-15fps like in Crysis v.h is no problem unless they are to frequent but thats another tale.

Wait, so this could be a hi-end PC + GPU output ? If so, I'd like to see a more "homely" setup.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. The PC version of Codemasters racings games always look the best. It's probably the one they are showing off for the "realtime" game play.

Yap... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=6034

That's how the game looks, my friends.
Also, PC is 60fps (well, technically the DS version, too :)). PS3 and 360 are locked at 30fps. Motion blur also looks amazing in the game.

I do work there, but I'm not trying to spin anything (well, there's no need at all, I think the reactions are just great). Just want to let the guys that are a bit sceptical because they think the movie is doctored or the game is too arcadey know, that they should try it out and make their own decision :)

@ranger x: in my opinion, the driving feels much like TOCA . I had a few problems to even finish a few races without getting terminal damage because of some driving mistake. and I played a lot of racing games in my life.

in higher difficulties, the gameplay can be compared very much to the former Race Driver games. the only thing is, that it is much more accessible for newcomers. also, the new AI has a much more realistisc behavior, bad drivers tend to make mistakes, good drivers are hard do overtake and so on. this again makes the game easier for new gamers (you're not competing against "perfect drivers" but a grid of different skilled drivers) and more interesting to skilled players. as ever, you can chose to disable all driving helps (traction control etc).

also, this is no PGR! there are city racetracks no, but it is still motorsport. you're driving in licensed sport cars, not in production cars. you're driving on a number of various licensed tracks (Nürburgring, Spa, Le Mans 24hs, Istanbul....) and a number of fantasy creations (some "classic" racetracks, some city tracks...). but the important thing is, it still feels much like a motorsport game, only with a really stylish, cool presentation that also appeals to the PGR / NFS gamer. Best of both worlds, really.

Again, just wait for the demo and believe in the game. I mean, you have to admit that everything looks really great and promising so far. Just have faith and give it a try as soon as you can get hands on :)

And it least here in Germany press is praising Grid as contender to be the best racing game ever. And German press is known to be very critical, especially when it comes to arcade racers.

:)

Still doesn't say what platform the trailer was taken from though. My guess is still PC (if it's shown at its natural framerate). I was told consoles are not that popular in Germany (Mostly PC gaming ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, although the lightings got a dusk/dawn look about it.

About the trailer, at the end, the guitar riff sounds like Warning by the Prodigy (wicked track by the way!).

Lighting isn't as spot on as in GT5, but the rest is very good. Polyphony still has the artistic edge over everyone else as it seems.

There you go ... 30FPS on PS3 and 360. 30FPS is great for a number of things, but not for racing games. It could still be good, but chances that I will like it have gone down considerably.

I dont think you could of expected those visuals at more than 30, especially seeing as its multiplatform (read not heavily optimised) I think it looks better than PGR4 with more geometry and good lighting (not breath taking, but still good) and that in itself is an achievement.

Good quality motion blur will help to reduce the problem of 30fps.

(not aimed @Arwin)All in all I think its almost fanboyish to say that these visuals arent impressive, if just because they are not as good looking as some of the shots for GT5. I mean if that makes it the second best looking game or even the fourth best looking game out there, its still very good.

Back