Is Hollywood capable of GPGPU?

Flux

Regular
I found out that the GPU has 4 TEV units per Pixel shader and one ARM9(I/O). Can the TEV units be used as GPGPUs?

I found out that the GPU has 4 TEV units per Pixel shader and one ARM9(I/O). Can the TEV units be used as GPGPUs?

Where did you learn this? Everyone as well as I is salivating to know the real details of the Wii's GPU.

GPGPU can be done on any GPU. You just have to create data structures that fit the hardware. You'll be limited to the types of non-graphics you can do though depending on GPU programmability.

This sounds ridiculous.

The Flipper in Gamecube has 1 TEV unit in total, which serves the 4 pixel pipelines.

I doubt very much that Hollywood has more than 1 TEV unit, much less, "4 TEV units per Pixel shader".

Here's a helpful hint: If someone does not write even on a middle-school level, he probably does not have a deep grasp of technology.

On reading that thread further, I would advise staying far, far away from the Wiire boards if you want to learn anything about technology.

Here's a helpful hint: If someone does not write even on a middle-school level, he probably does not have a deep grasp of technology.
I don't see what his writing style has to do with anything. After checking out more of his posts, he seems... quite knowledgeable. It's hard to understand him, though. Blatant overuse of ellipses...

On reading that thread further, I would advise staying far, far away from the Wiire boards if you want to learn anything about technology.
Why do you say that?

I don't see what his writing style has to do with anything. After checking out more of his posts, he seems... quite knowledgeable. It's hard to understand him, though. Blatant overuse of ellipses...

It is possible that he's not a native English speaker, but some of the things he says is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too farfetched to believe. I mean, if he's from Factor 5, how would he know that Ubi Soft is using UE3 for the next Red Steel? That's like me telling you the next Zelda game uses CryEngine 2. The guy's reasoning about the interview from Ubi's just crazy talk. Doesn't Rainbow 6 Vegas use an updated version of the UE2? Most people mistaken that for UE3 because Ubi Soft upgraded it with their custom coding.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, I don't know what is wrong with the moderators you have here, but apparently the following is considered "insulting another user":

- calling something that someone said "foolish" (note: what they said, not the person)

- commenting that they should learn to use a search engine properly and do some real research

I don't know if all of you like being coddled, but that's really what seems to be happening. I'm sorry if being blunt isn't the "norm" here, but I'm not going to sugar-coat anything. If something you post seems foolish I'll tell you so, but I'm not going around posting "omg yur stoopid11!!"

Blah.

Now, to the point:

"PandaKun" != Factor 5.

Where did you get this?
The only mention of factor5 in that thread is the following:

As for your delve into Hardware...
The GameCube and Wii Both Support Normal Mapping via the GPU... (Source factor5 and Nintendo)
Both Gamecube and Wii support "Shaders" via the TEV (they just aren't via Industry Standard Shaders Language)
Texture Memory is a 1 Meg on the Wii, and the 360 has about 4 Megs (Both System can use Extern

How you translated that into him being one of the people working at factor5 is beyond me, just as it seems that others here don't understand it at all.

On that note, anyone who thinks that PandaKun has ever claimed to work for factor5 or (currently) work for anyone else is mistaken. He has never claimed any such thing and this is simply some gigantic misunderstanding on the part of the two previously quoted users.

Here's a helpful hint: Being a jerk on the internet does not make you cool.
Had you even bothered to read anything else he has written, or maybe even done some research, you'd see that what he has said is actually correct and is sourced in multiple places (to be mentioned later on), he's simply using the wrong term.

When he says TEV he's actually referring to texel units.

- 4 Pipelines @ 162 MHz -> 1 texel unit per pipeline
- Texture Rate -> 648 MPixels/sec
- Texel Rate -> 648 MTexels/sec

Insulting the Wiire's population in general in terms of technological knowledge is nothing but a shallow move on your part. If you feel that what was said in that thread was wrong, then by all means issue a correction in this thread.

Insulting the integrity of other people while saying nothing on the actual subject itself does nothing in the way of validating you're knowledge on the subject. Honestly, you should either provide the goods yourself or refrain from insulting those who did.

The reasoning behind his odd use of uppercase letters is force of habit. He used to do a lot of writing (technical and otherwise) and said that the addition of those random uppercase letters was to insure that if anyone wanted to try to simply copy and paste his work they would still have to take a great deal of time in order to make it look normal, which apparently discouraged people from even trying.

As for the ellipses... I can't remember if he ever explained that.

Anyway, here's what he has said in response to this thread:
They Draw WAY too Many Conclusions about me there... Yes, I type Oddly... I do on Purpose as I've mentioned and explained before... ME = Factor5... NOT Quite... I respect the guys there and I have worked in the Game Industry but not there...

To answer the Question they had "Can Hollywood act as a GP-CPU"... NO, it can't... The Arm9 doesn't likely have a connection to the GPU Chip itself... The Arm9 has access to Ram and I/O... None it's Functions required access to the GPU and thus I doubt it has any... Hollywood as we know it now it TWO Chips in ONE Package... That in No Way Implies that the 2 Chips can work together...

The said the GC GPU had ONE TEV Unit... WRONG it has 4 (1 per Pixel Pipeline)...

They have the Nerve to say I don't know my Stuff!!! Heck they didn't even check Facts on Wiki (where that is Listed)... It's also on IGN's Specs for the Console...

So...

Taking into account that he's mistakenly referring to the "texel units" as the TEV, which is shown by the part I coloured red, he is actually correct (and it's documented in multiple places). It's a simple error of using an incorrect term, that's all.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about "Flipper":
Nintendo GameCube

- 4 pixel pipelines with 1 texture (texel) unit each

www.segatech.com

- 4 Pipelines @ 162 MHz -> 1 texel unit per pipeline
- Texture Rate -> 648 MPixels/sec
- Texel Rate -> 648 MTexels/sec

PC vs. Console:

www.pcvsconsole.com

- 4 Pixel Pipelines
- 1 Texel per Pixel Pipeline
- 4 Texels per Clock Cycle
- 8 Texture Layers per Rendering Pass (8 clock cycles)

It's easy to find if you try looking for it, but I can see where the issue was, seeing as Panda was using an incorrect name to refer to the amount of texels per pixel pipeline.

All in all, there really was no reason to be bashing another forum as a whole over something so innocent, as well as it being inappropriate to be insulting someone who you know nothing about in the first place.

I understand that it's fun to make yourself look tough over the internet, but in a choice between taking the mature route and making childish insults and inferences, taking the mature route really makes you come off looking much better to everybody that happens across the situation.

First of all, I don't know what is wrong with the moderators you have here, but apparently the following is considered "insulting another user":

Modhat:
You forgot the part about calling the member "an idiot" and the part where you were being derisive towards the member's intelligence. If you cannot respectfully reply to another member, your time here will be cut short. Arguments can be made without resorting to negative personal insinuations that do little to further the discussion. It is frowned upon in open debates, whether it be politics or in a class, and it will not be tolerated here either.

Modhat:
Arguments can be made without resorting to negative personal insinuations that do little to further the discussion...
As meaculpa's second attempt exemplifies ;) This is a more intellectual console board than you'll experience elsewhere. We're wanting a level of conduct more fitting of college debates or boardroom discussions than school playgrounds and typical trash-talking forums.

Modhat:
You forgot the part about calling the member "an idiot" and the part where you were being derisive towards the member's intelligence.

Of course, I'd probably have remembered it if it hadn't been deleted. I don't have time to memorize everything. :p

Either way, I'm not really here to hang around and become part of the community, I simply wanted to correct that Pandakun has never claimed to be part of factor5 (that was a very odd mistake by someone here) and that taking pointed jabs at another community for one small mistake is really quite stupid.

I did think through what I posted the first time and posted exactly what I wanted, though I guess I used a few words I could have avoided if I had cared enough. As you said before, people on the internet have time to think before posting unlike while speaking. Of course, I think before I speak as well, so maybe that's just a problem for you? :D Heh!

Ok so Hollywood could technically do physics, if everything sent into it was properly portioned, programmed, etc. just like any processor. For practical work I would say no though it's best suited for what it was intended for. Wii should've had better hardware anyways.

Back