NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, only 15% of the chip has no coarse-grained redundancy mechanism, and a non-negligible part of that is SRAM which tends to be redundant itself.

It certainly would be in NV's best interest to shrink GT200 ASAP, but Charlie's credibility has gone rather downhill lately with all the recent NV rants, IMHO. I'll sit on the fence on this one until it's obvious where the truth lies.

He could be right about half of what he said (size, heat, limited quantities, needed G200b to reduce chip size and help yields - esp. since 55nm is bound to be much more mature now than he's giving TSMC credit for), and yet it wouldn't be as bad for NVDA as he's trying to imply.

G200 will remain a flagship product, mostly useful to them to counter the release of RV770 if it ends up faster than G92b, and keep the halo effect of Nvidia uber alles. Nobody's finances depend on such a low-volume chip. But I am sure yield issues over their (almost) entire range of products has to be a sore point with them at the moment.

Yeah a lot of the things he states are probably true - expensive, big die, high power consumption, no dual-GPU card etc. The amusing part is the pains he goes to in order to paint them in a negative light as if they spell doom for Nvidia and victory for AMD.

I especially liked the "woeful 933GFLOPS" and "crippling clock rate problems" comments. He's really on top of his game with this one.

I think that I want a card like 38x0/9600 that uses 20W while idling but has the speed of an 8800 Ultra. Will one of these companies make me such a card? :)

I think that I want a card like 38x0/9600 that uses 20W while idling but has the speed of an 8800 Ultra. Will one of these companies make me such a card? :)

I'd expect such a card around the time TSMC's 45/40nm processes become viable for volume production.

It certainly would be in NV's best interest to shrink GT200 ASAP, but Charlie's credibility has gone rather downhill lately with all the recent NV rants, IMHO. I'll sit on the fence on this one until it's obvious where the truth lies.

Well it's bound to happen sooner or later..

I dunno, I'm still getting a "monolithic chip problems" vibe from all this, eh?

Is it really worth it to push out these monsters much longer? Clock problems, heat problems, yield problems, probable margin problems..seems like Nvidia really struggled just to birth this monster. And Nvidia is supposed to be the company with much more R&D funds..If performance isn't "amazing", anyway.

It's got 1.4B transistors. There. I said it. Confirmed.

Almost 3X as much as contained on PS360 CPU+GPU combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's got 1.4B transistors. There. I said it. Confirmed.

Any performance numbers (not 3d marks)? ;) If you have such a reliable source inside you should know some real world numbers :D

There are some info that GT200 to G80 situation is the same as G80 was to G70/71 :)

About GT200b. Well if this is true that it is taped out, why NVIDIA releases it`s 65nm version next month and not wait about 2-3 months for 55nm version?

About GT200b. Well if this is true that it is taped out, why NVIDIA releases it`s 65nm version next month and not wait about 2-3 months for 55nm version?

Because you don't scrap products which are about to ship for revenue (unless they're deemed to be DOA). There may very well be a 55nm version of GT200 just around the corner, but that doesn't mean NV should not produce any 65nm GT200s, and pass on the opportunity to sell products based on the older, larger, hotter, more expensive chips. There will be demand for these parts, so why not make whatever money they can until the "fixed" chip comes out? Just like with R600->RV670.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any performance numbers (not 3d marks)? ;) If you have such a reliable source inside you should know some real world numbers :D

There are some info that GT200 to G80 situation is the same as G80 was to G70/71 :)

And let ATI run the show for a few months while they could have this big monster out? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back