Is Pixeljunk Monsters 'region free'?

goonergaz

Veteran
I did try a search with no joy...also sorry if this is in the wrong place!

I own a Japanese PS3 and live in the UK.

Recently I've purchased a couple of PSN games off the UK store that don't work on my PS3 for what I can only guess is region related (looking around the web seems to confirm this - they're not region locked (as such) - it's more like the Uncharted demo issue). The games are both Eyetoy ones, but obviously I'm worried this may happen in other PSN titles.

Anyway, I don't want to waste any more money - I know I can buy a JP PSN card, but I'm asking first if anyone knows if the UK PSN version will work on my JP PS3.

TIA :)

I'm in the UK with a JPN PS3 and i've not had problems with any PSN games. I haven't got an eyetoy though so I haven't tried the games you're having trouble with. I can confirm that PixelJunk Monsters definitely works and it's a great little game.

Brilliant, thanks mate - love the demo so want to buy this but be sure it worked :)

The games that don't work on a JP machine (buying off the UK store) are Tori-Emaki, Trials of Topoq and Creature Feature (Mezmerize and Aqua Vita both work fine - unfortunately I d/l them all at the same time).

Anyway, this is a known issue - there's lots of reports over the web confirming it's this exat problem (JP machine buying of UK store) - as I said eariler it's not a region lock (as such), it's like the UC demo...they get 'stuck' on loading...I need to email Sony but I doubt they'll do anything :(

This seems to be very popular. It's also one of the first PSN games that meaningfully supports remote play on the PSP. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seu_hQK1-iU

I liked the flash game based on the warcraft level that this seems to be a slight extention of, though I played that enough back then and don't think I"ll have much time to spend on this right now.

I just think it's a great little game - esp. for £3.50...BTW it worked 100% fine, so thanks (again) for the info satriales :)

I've had a lot of fun with this game. Anyone hesitating over a purchase can just buy it. I've played some flash based TD games in the past such as Desktop TD but like this game much more. 2p co-op is fantastic. :)

I've had a lot of fun with this game. Anyone hesitating over a purchase can just buy it. I've played some flash based TD games in the past such as Desktop TD but like this game much more. 2p co-op is fantastic. :)

indeed, 2p co-op is great!

If you're still 'thinking' you can download the free demo on JP PSN...it's completely in English :)

I've been playing it a lot.

2 player coop is easier than 1 player for sure. The single player gets very very hard. But still I like this game a lot.

I liked PJM so much I ended up buying their other game Pixel Junk Racers. That game is also insanely hard! What is the deal with these guys?

I've been playing it a lot.

2 player coop is easier than 1 player for sure. The single player gets very very hard. But still I like this game a lot.

I liked PJM so much I ended up buying their other game Pixel Junk Racers. That game is also insanely hard! What is the deal with these guys?

Supposedly, PJM is designed to be less difficult: :LOL:
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/12/12/pixeljunk-monsters-easier-than-racers-third-game-coming/

The team at Q-Games have learned a lesson from PixelJunk Racers -- they tuned that game to their own skill set and as a result, it was perceived as too hard for many players. Monsters will have a much more manageable difficulty curve so more people will be able to get into it and enjoy it.

I think the difficulty is just right.
I mean "getting the rainbow" in DTD (normal) took much more trials then any PJM level I played (Bridge Out being the latest).

Anyway, great game indeed.

At first I was skeptical about old school TD approach of monsters taking predetermined path, but as of now I'm more than satisfied with the resulting level variety.

There's a nice update coming soon, reportedly by the end of October for all territories. Includes Trophies, custom sound tracks, adjusted difficulty, and You Tube support. I like the way they're handling trophies. Its not retroactive support, but its better than a complete start-over.

TROPHIES
Trophies are now added for both PixelJunk Monsters and Encore. We weren’t able to retroactively apply Trophies to the previously played data, but Q-Games didn’t want to force people to play everything all over again. They came up with a great idea by creating Trophy Challenges. These challenges have specific maps with set rules or objectives that will reward you with Trophies if you complete them properly.

Yay, trophies!!!! As I've completed the game, both packs, solo with rainbows on everything I'll...oh, they're not retroactive? It's extra challenges? That's not so bad I suppose, if I feel like a little break from the norm, PJM will be a very laidback choice. It'd be nice if they rebalanced a bit though. Even after the supposed Encore rebalance, the useless towers remained useless. Freeze was a waste of time, even on the fast mission. Flame towers FTW!

I just think it's a great little game - esp. for £3.50...BTW it worked 100% fine, so thanks (again) for the info satriales :)
It is, and I would've completely ignored it if it weren't for the demo on the US store. (Just looked at the date of that post, whoops :LOL: )

I've been holding back on Monsters knowing that trophies were coming (and it appears to be absolutely impossible to apply them retro actively according to Criterion anyway). I cannot wait.

I've been holding back on Monsters knowing that trophies were coming (and it appears to be absolutely impossible to apply them retro actively according to Criterion anyway). I cannot wait.

Its not impossible, but the save has to be completely locked. The Burnout save could be copied to external media (thankfully, in my case), so, retroactive Trophies were not possible. Frankly, I'd much rather have the save open, and have to replay the game, than have it locked and uncopyable. For data recovery reasons, that is.

Criterion thought so too, according to them they did lock the saves to a user account but they were still unable to apply trophies retro actively despite up until the last week saying that they would. (http://www.allaboutgames.co.uk/news...+trophies+-+not+retroactive+as+expected/2001/)

Until someone applies trophies retro actively I'm not going to believe it's possible. Proof is in the pudding after all.

They may have locked it to a user account, but it could still be copied to external media, and then back to the PS3. So, it was not completely locked (as some saved games are). Warhawk has already applied Trophies retroactively.

They may have locked it to a user account, but it could still be copied to external media, and then back to the PS3. So, it was not completely locked (as some saved games are). Warhawk has already applied Trophies retroactively.

Warhawk keeps the stats on the server though.

Ummmmm...why all the security around Trophies? Does it really matter if some people want to cheat, grab a save game and register a Platinum on PJM or similar? It's not like they get anything for having a higher Trophy rank. I'd rather have my past efforts recognised than ignored for the sake of a few Trohpy cheaters who are clearly taking it way too seriously. Although in this tcase, the added replay value of the trohpies is preferable IMO.

The update came out yesterday wihtout any notification. And Deepbrown didn't waste any time getting some more trophies!

Ummmmm...why all the security around Trophies? Does it really matter if some people want to cheat, grab a save game and register a Platinum on PJM or similar? It's not like they get anything for having a higher Trophy rank. I'd rather have my past efforts recognised than ignored for the sake of a few Trohpy cheaters who are clearly taking it way too seriously. Although in this tcase, the added replay value of the trohpies is preferable IMO.

Uh. No Shifty. No thank you. What the hell would be the point of trophies if you could borrow/buy them. Pointless. And "Trophy cheaters"? Wuh? I've earnt all of mine :(

Back