Warner Exclusive Blu-ray= More PS3 sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are literally hundreds of thousands just waiting for Warner to go Blu-Ray exclusive to jump on that PS3! I'm sorry, but this won't show up as anything noticeable on PS3 sales, if people were settled on Blu-Ray they would have probably already purchased a PS3, this might help (but only in a very small way) several months (close to a year) from now if it allows Blu-Ray to be the solid HD format.

There is a stand alone blue ray player that cost the same as the ps3 right now... so it may help sell more blu ray, but if you are buying something because of this announcement you probably going for the stand alone player

There is a stand alone blue ray player that cost the same as the ps3 right now... so it may help sell more blu ray, but if you are buying something because of this announcement you probably going for the stand alone player

Why? The PS3 would be the vastly superior buy there. Really it would be till a stand alone is about $150 cheaper. Let's see, you get a great Blu-Ray player and a console should you ever want a game for it. Even on a very off chance of wanting to play a game the PS3 is the superior buy. Of course, people don't think like that...

I wanted this war to go on longer and help drive down the prices of both players. Blu-ray being the most expensive, might have got a nod to keep those high margins.

If it cements Blu-ray as the dominate format then that increases the total value of the PS3. Does X360 release a blu-ray drive? Continue with the same stragety? Go more towards a digital HD service?

If it cements Blu-ray as the dominate format then that increases the total value of the PS3. Does X360 release a blu-ray drive? Continue with the same stragety? Go more towards a digital HD service?

HD playback is hardly a key point in buying a Xbox 360 for the vast (vast!) majority of its buyers I would say. Assuming no licensing issues Microsoft could easily release a Blu-Ray reader, if they ever wanted to. Microsoft wants a streaming/online service most of all, you can be damn certain of that.

If Blu-Ray becomes the dominate format then it slightly helps the PS3 but not a lot.

Well Microsoft made the HD-DVD drive a plug in external to the XBox. So it would seem to me that if the need arises, we will have a Blu-ray box addin.

Personally, I represent the group of people that don't see it as increasing the value of the PS3 as I don't have any plans to get a console.

I wanted this war to go on longer and help drive down the prices of both players. Blu-ray being the most expensive, might have got a nod to keep those high margins.
Thats very backwards thinking, no matter if Companies decide to lower their margin or even sell at a loss, ultimatively they want to get the money back from the customer. What would help lowering cost on both sides (Consumer & Company) would be higher sale numbers, and those would surely improve if one format would end up as clear winner.

Great news Mythos.

AOD/HD-DVD vs BD ...The war is over ?

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1700383,00.html

Before this anouncement market still 60/65 % BD vs 40/35% HD-DVD...

" A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry," said Tsujihara. "Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats

450px-HighDefShare.svg.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? The PS3 would be the vastly superior buy there. Really it would be till a stand alone is about $150 cheaper. Let's see, you get a great Blu-Ray player and a console should you ever want a game for it. Even on a very off chance of wanting to play a game the PS3 is the superior buy. Of course, people don't think like that...

Don't forget DLNA too. That's Blu-Ray + several music formats + several video formats.

Don't forget DLNA too. That's Blu-Ray + several music formats + several video formats.

Another colleague of mine bought a PS3, primarily because of its media functions, and Fifa 08 was just a small second, more of a surprise since he discovered he really liked it and thought it looked great. But he's getting a little one (their pregnancy is 3 weeks ahead of ours!) and basically he choose to buy a PS3 and a MiniDV camera instead of a more expensive camera with a built in HD. Another colleague of mine bought a PS3 this Christmas as well. He's a PC gamer but he's been dying to play Assassin's Creed and decided he just couldn't wait anymore, though no doubt he was also a little infected by my ravings on the machine (I sit across from him half the time).

That makes 7 of us now (out of 25). No Wiis (a former collleague had one but he didn't like it and he sold it with a profit over last Christmas), and I'm the only one who owns a 360. I don't think our company is a good representation of the general public though! :D

Anyway, it's media features are very strong compared to standalone devices, and yes, right now, I still think it's the best BluRay player you can buy, simply because it's so easily upgradeable (and upgraded so well and often too), comes with a harddrive, plays just about everything, has plenty of memory and processing power resulting in among others very good startup times, a very good browser, and hey, it plays some awesome games too :D.

I'm sure it will be beaten eventually, but not just yet I think.

As for the announcement, just today I was thinking, after reading a very positive review of the Ratatouille BluRay, that it looked like the format was ready for big-time, and it seemed to me a signal that the war might be over soon now. I didn't expect this soon though! :D

Although you never know. But I think the gist of it is right - it's time to get rid of the confusion. Still, who knows how many HD DVDs will be sold now at dump prices, eh? I've seen a lot of weird things happen in my time, and I'm still young. ;)

hard to say. movie enthusiasts and game enthusiasts are very different. also you have the little issue of not being able to control the PS3 with a universal remote because of no IR port.

Well Microsoft made the HD-DVD drive a plug in external to the XBox. So it would seem to me that if the need arises, we will have a Blu-ray box addin.
There is a concern that it may not be able to fully decode Blu-ray streams only with a software though.

Thats very backwards thinking, no matter if Companies decide to lower their margin or even sell at a loss, ultimatively they want to get the money back from the customer. What would help lowering cost on both sides (Consumer & Company) would be higher sale numbers, and those would surely improve if one format would end up as clear winner.

Well the key to my comment is "Companies"...

SO far if you wanted Blu-Ray you basically had to buy Sony ( a few high ends were there too I think). If this announcement releases the companies that were sitting on the sidelines and they get off their asses and make some competitive products, then we are in agreement. As it stood, the only way Sony was going to reduce prices was in response to Toshiba.

But I believe that if the other companies in the Blu-ray consortium see that the format is won, I bet we will see new Blu-Ray products being released that will compete with Sony.

HD playback is hardly a key point in buying a Xbox 360 for the vast (vast!) majority of its buyers I would say. Assuming no licensing issues Microsoft could easily release a Blu-Ray reader, if they ever wanted to. Microsoft wants a streaming/online service most of all, you can be damn certain of that.

If Blu-Ray becomes the dominate format then it slightly helps the PS3 but not a lot.

I agree...but MS positioning lately with the elite is to fill in the higher end category where the PS3 is at. In other ways this news does prempt a X360 release with a hd-dvd built in. That would put them in an awkward position.

Another point is that the PS3 is following the tradition of past Playstation consoles...CD, DVD, Blu-ray.

hard to say. movie enthusiasts and game enthusiasts are very different. also you have the little issue of not being able to control the PS3 with a universal remote because of no IR port.

I think you can plug in an IR port into the USB slot. Not perfect, but probably good enough. But I think what some people would prefer instead is a display. That's what I thought of personally, that would make it easier to use for playing CDs and such without needing to have the TV on. PSP as a remote isn't bad, but then I'd need it not to take over sound as well and have an option to playback sound through the PS3's audio outputs as well as to the PSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back