Damn Hardware

linthat22

Regular
Quick rehash/update:

Since I had 3 hard drives in my computer, I decided to take out the one I purposely wasn't using to put into my wife's old machine. I accidentally took out the drive with windows installed and put it in her old machine and fired her up. After seeing the windows message pop up I turned off the machine immediately. I got the hard drive situation resolved and finally fired up my machine. I first noticed that windows was loading super super slow (I figure it was checking the internal changes I made and I did move the SATA port on the mobo). Anyway, it finally loaded up and all was well.

Now Current:

The damned hard drive started making this loud thunk sound periodically and I noticed windows would stutter before the thunk took place. Since it got worse the longer the system stayed on I took it out. Figured it was dying a slow death (all of a sudden)

So now I'm using my 1TB hard drive as my main drive and had to reformat again and reinstall all my shit within a 1.5 week time period. This just plain sucks. btw, the HD I put in my wife's machine works (which just happens to be the same exact one that died in mine).

Anyway, do any of ya'll think the issues I was describing with the old HD was the sound of a HD dying?

Loud thunking is indeed signs of death or dieing of the drive. This was happening on my sister's system. Whenever there was a loud thunk, windows would be stalled. It took forever to get fully loaded into windows. The replacement drive was of the same specs and era. Once the dieing drive was replaced, the system speed was greatly improved.

Except for dying HDDs?

I have a feeling that it's more of a faulty drive than my PSU to be honest. My system was up and running for 1.5 weeks till I decided to monkey with my setup. Still though, of all things to do, but up and die on me. The nerve :)

Back