Burnout: Paradise City

i read some impressions over at GAF, and some people who got the retail version said that it is better than the demo. however, there are still some noticeable slowdowns.

Last edited by a moderator:
i read some impressions over at GAF, and some people who got the retail version said that it is better than the demo. however, there are still some noticeable slowdowns.

Ah, thank you. Would you know if the hitching occurs consistently? (i.e. due to certain events on-screen)

What was "bad" in the demo?

Not bad per se, but the framerate hitches? I wouldn't be surprised if they optimized it last minute, but I'm just curious.

i can't seem to find the impressions i read earlier at GAF. i don't remember if they were in the demo discussion thread, or the official burnout thread. but i think its safe to say that the final build of the 360 version runs slightly better than the demo did.

heres what IGN had to say in their head-to-head article. pretty much what Nerve-Damage said.
IGN said:
Graphics

Burnout Paradise is an amazing technical feat and looks great on both systems. The absence of loading screens, the rock solid framerate, the detail on car models, and the sheer speed at which everything is rendered is a stunning achievement. That being said, there are some small but noticeable differences that make the PS3 the clear choice in this category. You'll notice that while colors seem a little more subdued on the PS3 (we were playing with identical screen brightness settings), there is generally a bit more detail in the environments, especially in town with lots of objects being rendered in a comparatively small area.

Likewise, the draw distance is a little cleaner and more distinct in the PS3 version. The 360 version also has a fair amount of pop-in, especially with distant objects. I also found cars in traffic would sometimes add-in a last layer of texture detail as I got closer to them in the 360 version. There's some pop-in in the PS3 version too, but generally speaking, it's much less noticeable, restricted to a tree or some bushes in the background. The PS3 had the slight edge in lighting effects in as well, with some interesting refraction or glint happening at almost all times on your car model, while the 360's lighting seems a little less pronounced.

While both versions of the game run at rock solid framerates, it did seem like the PS3's was a little bit faster, running silky smooth at high speeds. The 360 version is an admirable production but the framerate does seem slightly slower than the PS3's, with an occasional hitch at high speeds. This isn't something to be too concerned about as both version look and feel great at top speed, and most people probably won't ever see a difference unless switching back and forth on an HD monitor. Also, some people may actually prefer the overall look of the 360 version because colors seem to pop a little more brightly from the screen, but otherwise, the game is just a bit more detailed, smoother, and better lit on the PS3. Both versions really do look great, but the edge has to go to the PS3 here.

That's great...but I'm not asking about the PS3 edition. I'm wondering about the retail 360 edition compared to its corresponding demo. ;)

Compared to the demo, it feels quite the same. Turning certain corners (with lots of geometry draw and vehicles) is where most the hitching occurs. Most straight away points are ok, until you see some cars popup (out of nowhere) the game will hiccup then. For someone to say they can’t see it…is just plain damn lying.

i can't seem to find the impressions i read earlier at GAF. i don't remember if they were in the demo discussion thread, or the official burnout thread. but i think its safe to say that the final build of the 360 version runs slightly better than the demo did.

heres what IGN had to say in their head-to-head article. pretty much what Nerve-Damage said.

djskribbles IGN post sums it up.

Ah, thank you. Would you know if the hitching occurs consistently?

have not seen one of these "hitching" events on my machine.

smooth as butter (did not play the demo enough to form an opinion on any discrepancies between those two versions)

Oblivion should probably be left out of comparisons given how much later it came to the PS3. (It's also Off Topic folks . ;))

So here is my problem, as someone who did not like the demo...at all, are there people that you have read other places who like/love the game that did not like the demo?

well I only played the demo for a few minutes and while intrigued, picked this one up mostly due to the open nature of the design and huge map and very nice graphics... what I found was... exciting destruction derby type racing both offline and on. Mindless fun and the cars react exactly as you would expect them to in all situations (arcade)

it may just be me and how I feel this week :p but for right now, I am enjoying the depth and instant online and multiple challenges

So here is my problem, as someone who did not like the demo...at all, are there people that you have read other places who like/love the game that did not like the demo?
Performance-wise? Concept-wise? As a fan of previous Burnout games?

I'm curious, as I'm a rather huge fan of Burnout since the second game (didn't know about it until then), and I'm rather stunned at what they've managed to pull off graphically and performance-wise, and think almost every change they've made to the gameplay has only served to enhance and truly distinguish the series.

I mean, I might miss repeatedly being able to go after the same Crash Mode "puzzle" (and I haven't played with Showtime much yet to have real analysis), the new concepts have me much more excited, and... hey... I already own Pain. ;)

I rather enjoyed the demo, so I might not be the right person to deliver what you're looking for, but I'd still have to know what angle you're coming from.

I'm waiting for my (PS3) copy to arrive from Hong Kong. It's also out here in Belgium but 69€ (100$) is just to expensive so I rather pay 37€ (48$) and wait 2 weeks :)

Anyone noticed this ;

xmb_in_bp_ci_08.jpg

pause the game at any point, select the "Paradise City Online" menu, and press Triangle.
[ http://www.tripletags.com/comments.asp?id=320 ] ...

Anyone noticed this

Yup! Hopefully in-game XMB-friendslists will be standard real soon (promised for 2008 anyways). But I would like to reach the list with just the push of the PS button rather than go into the pause menu.

S.K.A.T.E. actually has a similar friendlist function in the pause menus of the game. Who would have thought EA would be the first to "achieve" this

does this game have split screen?
No. The developers weren't interested in squeezing the display and knocking the framerate down to 30 to wedge it in. Multiplayer is online-only, but it IS does in a more easy, interesting and seamless fashion than I've ever seen before. (Unless you're designing your own course, at which point you have to spend a bit of time setting up the checkpoints and rules, which is cool in and of itself.)

Back