Vista rant ---- MS must dump it...

To be honest, I think thats a good thing. Its about time the hesitant masses were dragged into the 21st century. The PC can only move forward as a platform if people will accept new technology. The problem with Vista is that this wierd runnaway smear campaign against it is slowing that progress down. And the silly thing is, most of it is based on pure make believe.
I am very busy ATM with meeting the demand for very small, cool, low power and solid state computers for a few industrial companies. Simply because the other stuff is big, breaks down fast and 80% of the specs/power isn't used.

Most PCs by far are used as office PCs (MS Office, email, internet and a few very simple custom apps that are at least five years old on average) or as home PCs (MSN, internet, email, audio and video, and the occasional letter or spreadsheet). You don't need more than a VIA EPIA 533 MHz, 512 MB RAM and 20 GB HD, with XP for that.

Even that is overkill, as you could use an ARM PC the size of a packet of cigarettes running Linux with OpenOffice and such, and costing less than 100 bucks to do just about all of that.

I have had this discussion many times on my work, because I like big, expensive and impressive computers with lots of speed and storage, but it's rather hard to come up with
actual applications that would have a need of those.

Instead, we're consolidating stuff: run a bunch of servers (who might benefit from the extra power) in VMs on a single box, to save on hardware and managing...

That assumes they are wrong not wanting to shell out 139-599 Euro, because it's the next best thing to sliced bread to a lot of people over here. Or simply, because they don't see it as an improvement and they liked the way things worked, thank-you-very-much.
I wasn't really talking about price when I said "bitching", though I could have been more clear about that. For all other complaints which are basically saying Vista is worse than XP, they get shot down and then there's no counter argument at all. That's what I've gathered from a cursory view of this thread.

Anyway, even price doesn't seem much different than with past OS releases.

I wasn't really talking about price when I said "bitching", though I could have been more clear about that. For all other complaints which are basically saying Vista is worse than XP, they get shot down and then there's no counter argument at all. That's what I've gathered from a cursory view of this thread.
Well, being different can be the same as being worse, if the differences aren't seen as improvements, but simply as making life harder. And I think it's a very valid excuse if people don't want to learn all the new ways, simply because they have to. They do get a choice, do they? Freedom and all that.

Anyway, even price doesn't seem much different than with past OS releases.
Well' it's about twice as expensive. But no matter, why would they be forced to enrich Microsoft when they're satisfied with what they have? It isn't compulsory, is it? No matter how much Microsoft would want that.

It irks me quite a lot that I see those warning messages every time when interfacing with an XP system: "This page has an unspecified potential security risk.", or: "The identity of this computer cannot be verified." "Are you sure you want to continue?"

To me, that sounds like: "Are you sure you don't want to give us money and upgrade, so we won't scare you anymore?"

Well, being different can be the same as being worse, if the differences aren't seen as improvements, but simply as making life harder. And I think it's a very valid excuse if people don't want to learn all the new ways, simply because they have to. They do get a choice, do they? Freedom and all that.
Nobody has to learn anything new. Several people in this thread (yourself included) appear to continually ignore this fact: you dont' have to buy Vista. You don't have to use a Microsoft operating system. You don't have to even own a computer.

But let's face reality:

Life becomes easier when you own a computer, and business has very obvious benefits to gain by continuing to use them. And if history is any indicator, business will do what they feel is best for the bottom line. In the end, if some new OS or hardware or software is negatively affecting the bottom line, they'll do something else -- won't they?

I'm quite convinced they will. It seems you're convinced too, because otherwise we wouldn't have this discussion. So what's the problem?
Well' it's about twice as expensive. But no matter, why would they be forced to enrich Microsoft when they're satisfied with what they have? It isn't compulsory, is it? No matter how much Microsoft would want that.
Nope, not required at all. See also: my first paragraph.

It irks me quite a lot that I see those warning messages every time when interfacing with an XP system: "This page has an unspecified potential security risk.", or: "The identity of this computer cannot be verified." "Are you sure you want to continue?"

To me, that sounds like: "Are you sure you don't want to give us money and upgrade, so we won't scare you anymore?"
You see what you want to see, and we already know what color the tint is on your glasses.

Obviously, everyone knows that *nix will do everything you've ever wanted to do, and more, with zero problems, zero hardware issues, zero software conflicts, zero security problems and zero cost.

By the way, that was sarcasm laid on approximately 3km thick. To some degree, you get what you pay for, and there's a reason Linux is free. Vista might be expensive to buy individually and Linux might be cheap, but cheap isn't the same as inexpensive. Cheap as in not supporting your onboard HTDV tuner, or not being able to use that 5-in-1 printer that you got for the holiday, or not playing the games your kids received from their friends next door.

The only complaint I see you making is that people don't want to change, and people don't want to pay. Welp, moving to Linux is only going to solve the "pay" part, but it's going to sorely exascerbate the "change" part. And likely not for the better, unless you're dealing with someone who never installs anything EVER or someone who has a half-decent amount of tech savvy.

You'd be far better off converting people to Apple before a "pure" Linux.

I'd say Vista driver and apps have matured quite well in a short time. I'm using the 64bit at home and 32bit at work. Both work fine and I like the OS. It works well and is aesthetically pleasing. For something that I stare at many hours a day, that's a nice touch. Can't recall the last time I had to reboot due to an error or general system sluggish performance! Maybe I'm lucky? At work where I'm constantly toggling through apps left and right, the XP boot becomes very sluggish and needs a reboot after a couple of days max. Vista performs at the same rate (fast!) throughout, days and weeks at a time.

When I run the full network wide weekly A/V scan, the XP boot of the same system becomes so sluggish you'd think it's hosed. Vista pushes through it somehow. Ofcourse, for some people MS would have to deliver at twice the expectations for a tenth of the acknowledgement. As usual, don't like it? don't use it! Use Linus, Lindows or whatever the buzz of the week is, in the open source community. Hell, for old times sake, fire up OS2, Netware and Lotus Notes. Now that's a party! Just add pizza.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bit, the only thing that doesn't work under Vista is my TV card, but because I dual boot with Linux I simply do all my work and TV watching under Linux and gaming under Vista.

to all Vista-lovers.

I want to copy a 1.2GB file from dvd to my local hdd.
copy&pasting with explorer i get Error 0x800705aa (not enough resources bla-bla-bla)
google told me this problem persists in WHS too... and the supposed solution is:

TA-DAAAAAAAA:
use xcopy !

Now. Would you be so kind to give me a solution for this particular problem?. Thank you very much in advance.
Until then Vista sucks and I'll use it (because I have to) with disgust :D

PS: yes, xcopy does the job, and perhaps after restart maybe I'll be able to copy via explorer... so what :p

Last edited by a moderator:
See, now that one (98>>Win2k) I had to bail out of. Had to do with having two NICs active at the same time. Win2k hated that. I was doing ICS and phoneline networking (pre-wireless) at the time. Needed one NIC for the DSL modem and one to the other PCs on the router-less network.

but, don't even try to imagine the pain I endured when putting a third NIC in my windows 98 box! after 788 reboots I gave up and networking was nuked altogether on that installation.

to all Vista-lovers.

copy&pasting with explorer i get Error 0x800705aa (not enough resources bla-bla-bla)
google told me this problem persists in WHS too... and the supposed solution is:

TA-DAAAAAAAA:
use xcopy !

Now. Would you be so kind to give me a solution for this particular problem?. Thank you very much in advance.

PS: yes, xcopy does the job, and perhaps after restart maybe I'll be able to copy via explorer... so what :p

so, Vista might be a good OS if you use cmd.exe as the shell? :D
(you can try it on XP, you only get a graphical terminal window, and can start more by typing "start cmd".)

to all Vista-lovers.

TA-DAAAAAAAA:
use xcopy !

I've copied multiple >2GB files from DVD-R media to my local drive (and back) without issue. Last I recall, the issue you describe only affects files with large amounts of metadata, typically metadata that's been added by 3rd party utilities not designed for use with Vista.

Just FYI...

to all Vista-lovers.

TA-DAAAAAAAA:
use xcopy !

I'd like to help you with this, but after several attempts, I've been unable to duplicate your problem.

Vista doesn't allow you to go from 32bit to 64 right? I think they should have like with XP.

Microsoft said:
Installing a 64-bit version of Windows Vista on computer that is running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista
If you have purchased an Upgrade license together with a Windows Vista DVD, you must use one of the following methods.
Method 1
Purchase a full version of the 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
Method 2
1. Remove the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
2. Install Windows XP.
3. Install the 64-bit version of Windows Vista by using an installation method that is listed earlier in this article.
If you have purchased a full license together with a Windows Vista DVD, follow these steps:
1. Back up all the data and settings by using Windows Easy Transfer. Windows Easy Transfer is available on the Windows Vista DVD. However, you must use the version that is on the Windows Vista DVD for your currently installed 32-bit version of Windows Vista.
2. Insert the 64-bit version of Windows Vista into the system DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
3. Start Windows Vista Setup from the DVD when you are prompted.

Note You must start Windows Vista Setup by starting the computer from the Windows Vista 64-bit DVD. The installation package will not run on a 32-bit operating system.
4. When you are prompted during Windows Vista Setup, remember to select Custom as your installation choice.
5. When the installation is complete, you can restore the data from its backup location.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

I'm running Windows Vista 64bit on my Dell M1330, and apart from the lousy support of 64bit by Dell (fixed by this thread) it has been 100% smooth sailing. Folder virtualisation, combined with the new start menu design, means I don't really need to worry about where anything goes.

Vista is much, much better at achieving the "just works" feel.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795

I'm running Windows Vista 64bit on my Dell M1330, and apart from the lousy support of 64bit by Dell (fixed by this thread) it has been 100% smooth sailing. Folder virtualisation, combined with the new start menu design, means I don't really need to worry about where anything goes.

Vista is much, much better at achieving the "just works" feel.

I have vista ultimate 32bit b/c it is what I could get cheap, but I wanted 64 bit...In XP I thought one just downloaded the 64bit version for free if you had the 32 bit and went to town. I was thinking they should have done the same to speed adoption of 64bit OS. Oh well.

I have vista ultimate 32bit b/c it is what I could get cheap, but I wanted 64 bit...In XP I thought one just downloaded the 64bit version for free if you had the 32 bit and went to town. I was thinking they should have done the same to speed adoption of 64bit OS. Oh well.

If you have Ultimate and it's the retail version (retail upgrade or retail full) then you have a 64-bit license. The license for the retail versions of the "premium" products support either 32-bit or 64-bit platforms.

If you bought an OEM or a non-premium version of Vista, then it only supports the processor architecture that came in the box. In your case, I'd wager you bought Ultimate 32 OEM.

My Home Premium licenses are both retail, so when I move those boxes to a 64-bit platform, I'll just reinstall with my 64-bit disk and still be 100% in the norm. Paid $50 each for them too :D

I dunno, if I was Sxotty I think I'd find a 64-bit distro and give her a try on a spare partition. It'll take the key or not. Can't hurt to see.

I dunno, if I was Sxotty I think I'd find a 64-bit distro and give her a try on a spare partition. It'll take the key or not. Can't hurt to see.

No argument there. Got a spare drive laying around somewhere? Or if nothing else, you can use disk manager to shrink your existing partition and create a new one. Vista finally introduced the awe-inspiring brand new technology that allows you to shrink data partitions :LOL:

If you have Ultimate and it's the retail version (retail upgrade or retail full) then you have a 64-bit license. The license for the retail versions of the "premium" products support either 32-bit or 64-bit platforms.

Student media license works with 32 and 64bit as well. Got my copy from the uni for $27, just had to borrow a buddies 64bit DVD :D

Back