"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

To change weapons is a bit tricky if I remember correctly you need to do some kind of buttons combination.

Edit.

Half life Dreamcast

VMQg1hN.jpg

m7DKNgm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Time for some polycounts.

Virtua Fighter 4

Jacky ps2 7.000 + polys

Jacky Naomi2 14.000+ polys

I know that Jacky polycount was already covered I just wanted to see it myself.

SBFYnO5.jpg

5Rqgqf1.jpg

ktTnavZ.jpg

vfGlUX4.jpg

oJB0tXr.jpg

eAUwmCM.jpg

Funny thing is that Ps2 characters seems to not have "sphere eye balls" that would explain that dead eyes I've allways saw on the game. xD

Samus Aran, Metroid Prime Gamecube

RaLSeH3.jpg

Samu's Spaceship

LZgdfBA.jpg

Star Wars Rogue Leader, Gamecube.

jalvN9Q.jpg

Sion, The Bouncer (ingame model)

SzMioPV.jpg

Julia Tekken Tag Tournament, ps2

YcITYeM.jpg

Mitsurugui + sword, Soul Calibur, Dreamcast

LVTrBes.jpg

Remarkably off topic discussion about DC era fighters moved here. If something in an analysis thread raises a question, please start a new thread about that point. Don't dump it in the midst of an analysis thread and wait for the mods to move it to its own home.

eg. "In the polycount thread, I saw the counts for VF4 on PS2 and wondered if DC would have been able to handle it. What do people think?"

Resident Evil HD Remake's graphics clarified.
For this particular title, we aren’t doing a simple upconvert and calling it a day. We are working with the previous assets and making careful adjustments to resolution. The process is something akin to disassembling a complex wristwatch, polishing and cleaning up each individual piece, and painstakingly putting it all back together.

For your convenience, More specific details
The original game featured pre-rendered backgrounds, but we’re going over each and every still image individually and making adjustments not just to the resolution but also to post effects. Those elements of the background that are actually rendered as 3D models are being given special attention. They are being refined to match up with the newly refreshed still images to form a cohesive piece. There are some backgrounds that are actually treated as movie files rather than still images and in those cases, we are going through frame by frame to ensure that the resolution and level of detail are where we want them. Of course, the character models and effects have also been adjusted so that they match these new high resolution environments.

What’s important to us isn’t just increasing the resolution and brushing up the visuals. We really want to recreate the atmosphere of the original game. We constantly compare the original game data to our revamped versions to ensure that the details so important to the original creators are preserved. We’ve ensured that the whole team is aware of the vision espoused by the original developers and we always keep that in mind as a guide. It can be a real balancing act in trying to maintain that vision while still striving for visual improvements, but we’re up to the task.

Screen Panning Explained

The background scrolls vertically in reaction to the movement of the characters on screen. The parameters of the scrolling are handled on a scene by scene basis. The original 4:3 format allowed for some very deliberate staging of scenes in which danger is often implied to lurk just beyond the edges of the screen. This allows us to leave players frightened to advance while still urging them forward. Our goal is to maintain that sensibility in this new version.

We decided against re-rendering the scenes to fit 16:9 because it would allow the user to see more of the background than originally intended and could also result in the characters themselves taking up less real estate on the screen which could in turn lessen the sense of immediacy and immersion. An important concept in the original game is the idea of being frightened of what lurks beyond the borders of the player’s view. We didn’t want to risk losing that by re-engineering the environments to fit a widescreen aspect ratio. We also wanted to maintain the intimacy of the closer camera angles as that contributes so much to the atmosphere and sense of danger.

Bearing in mind the importance of these elements, we decided that the scrolling interface was the best way to maintain the original’s design sensibility while still filling more of the screen.
PC version will have it's own separate details.

We’ll be able to speak more about the PC version soon, but I can’t get into specifics at the moment.

Aside from the resolution difference, the versions are essentially identical. We’ll confirm details on the PC version at a later date.

Capcom updated their gallery with some more muddy screen grabs.

[For your convenience.]
Resident_Evil_Revelations_14092506213769.jpg

Resident_Evil_Revelations_14092506212298.jpg

Resident_Evil_Revelations_14092506214477.jpg

------------------------------------------------
After reading how they want to tackle this HD remake, it's hard to see the benefits capcom speaks of. They intend to under go a lengthy processes of retouching up original assets individually; only to re-upload them again as compressed images. this is a lot of pressure that they're choosing to put themselves through, and for such a payoff.

Retro Graphics Overview Of Resident Evil 4.

When I first got a chance to play this historical game years ago on GC i was blown away by it's technical achievements. However when i got a chance to play it again on PS2 and PC i was alarmed to notice a whole lot of media artifacts going on in both versions, especially in the PC version.

This Greatly changed my opinion on RE4 for years, As I noticed it's cut-scenes were pre-rendered and could easily play off of a DVD player. When i got to play RE4 HD (PC) smoke and mirrors still sort of lingered in my mind, feeling that the movies were re-up scaled to 1080p. This however all changed when i noticed In-Game Glitches during cut-scenes.

So I gathered some copies of RE4 and received some interesting information.

GC (Emulated)
uleb.png

PS2 (Emulated)
vleb.png

GC (Emulated)
wleb.png

PS2 (Emulated)
xleb.png

PC (Original)
yleb.png

two games featured Pre-rendered content, the other didn't. GC,WII,360,PS3 And RE4 HD PC are In-Game. crazy stuff huh. :)

God Of War 3 - Kratos 22,955 polygons.
iOeb.png

kOeb.png

lOeb.png

The textures were not perfectly adjusted on the arm, sorry about that. That's all for now.

It shows how well art and other elements make a model look at its best.
I made a character recently who is probably tenths of milions of polygons but you really cant get that impression when put next to Kratos model (when rendered with lighting, shadows, speculars and materials ofcourse). You might think Kratos is made of much more and mine made of far less (although mine is pretty good looking too :p).

I'm one of those who has always believed 'texture res. > poly count' from when I first played Jedi Knight 2 and despite it's nasty vertex pinching shoulders and overall very low poly look I just loved the textures and art more than the quake 'all brown always' look.

Here's some more pictures of GOW3's kratos with fixed textures.
z1fb.png

x1fb.png
His weapons are about 1k polygons each.

For God Of war 2, all i can find is the cut-scene version of him.

God Of War 2 - Kratos (god armor, cut-scene ver) 8,484 polygons

And here are some extra images for you to view.
71fb.png

GoW_2_1_collection.jpg.jpg

FMV_001.bmp.jpg

FMV_000.bmp.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some More Resident Evil HD Remake Information.

Even though Producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi couldn’t attend the panel personally, he made a video detailing a bit of the process of updating the Gamecube remake’s graphics for this generation. The overall process involved replacing 2D images in the background with 3D models, fixing lighting, redoing models from scratch and more.

For instance, the first area you enter in the game (the mansion hallway) had some of the 2D images replaces, the lighting improved and the candles redone from the ground up to improve quality. In another area, branches that were simply a 2D image were rendered in actual polygons.
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10...raphically-updating-the-resident-evil-remake/

Their approach still remains a mystery on how they're doing this HD remake. At first they speak of touching up old pre-rendered assets and re-implementing them, now they say they're redoing the old pre-rendered assets into actually polygons.

In this comparison video, at "1:10", you can spot the dungeon underground is displaying a lot sharper with better assets. http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/02/resident-evil-ps4-vs-gamecube-graphics-comparison

there is still no clue yet on the PC version and whether it will use 100% In-game assets.

Some More Resident Evil HD Remake Information.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/10...raphically-updating-the-resident-evil-remake/

Their approach still remains a mystery on how they're doing this HD remake. At first they speak of touching up old pre-rendered assets and re-implementing them, now they say they're redoing the old pre-rendered assets into actually polygons.

In this comparison video, at "1:10", you can spot the dungeon underground is displaying a lot sharper with better assets. http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/10/02/resident-evil-ps4-vs-gamecube-graphics-comparison

there is still no clue yet on the PC version and whether it will use 100% In-game assets.
The pre-rendered backgrounds aren't just static images. They're layered. The animated bits are separate layers to save memory. That way the layer containing animated branches can be replaced with actual polygons without affecting the base layer.

The pre-rendered backgrounds aren't just static images. They're layered. The animated bits are separate layers to save memory. That way the layer containing animated branches can be replaced with actual polygons without affecting the base layer.

Yeah, I'm aware of them being layered. I'm just not sure if we can call this an HD remake just yet or Resident Evil Remake 1.5 ; since the environments are done simply in the same original manner.

Back