texture compression problem

nobond

Newcomer
Basic problem again.

Looks to me the "texture compression" is static, probably done by cpu already. GPU only cares about "texture decompression" .

Is it correct ?

id say yes,
but then again as gpu's can work on and store compressed textures in memory without having to decompress them maybe they load uncompressed textures and compress them to save memory + bandwidth requirements ?

can render targets be stored as dxt(n) textures ???

i don't want any compression to ever be used with fp16/32 render targets.

i'm praying.

all the compression they currently have is way more than enough.

3dfx style aa's performance hit is fine with me.

without benchmarks people would never know the difference in theoretical performance in a lot of cases.

just b/c it reduces the fill rate drastically, doesn't automatically mean it will decrease the enjoyment of the game you're playing.

unless of course it knocks your frame rate below ( * )

* insert desired minimum frame rate of your choice..

25 in most cases, except make that avg.

Occasional dips down to 17 fps are fine if the iq is better and if it's a fast moving game.

i got used to the 3do version of doom quite easily, and the constant access pauses were worth the high quality redbook music, imo, and i like the saturn version of mk2 better than the arcade version, and hope to revisit it soon.
it was unusual for a saturn game to have those frequent access pauses, but i guess probe had already done so many ports of mk2 by that time, that they just got lazy.

although, if it's a not very fast moving game though, sometimes i'll care about frame rate. alone in the dark 2 for 3do was hindered by it's constant access pauses, making the saturn version the best. don't listen to anyone who says the saturn version has the worst control. the ps1 version sucks like the 3do one does, although the 3do version has better graphics than the saturn one. BTW, the saturn and ps 1 versions are named one-eyed jacks revenge. i don't know why thq changed the name.

i know i'm crazy, but i'm different from everyone else.

by the way, i prefer compatibility and iq equally, then heat, then i really couldn't give a fuck less about "a few extra fps."

with fans i prefer the highest cfm, i don't give a fuck about how noisy a fan is. long life, a good pattern of airflow and the highest cfm possible. i also like molex connectors and plugging them into the psu rather than 3pin for mb dickheaders.

what i like is never popular, and often never made.

i don't want any compression to ever be used with fp16/32 render targets.

The compression used for render targets is lossless. For static textures there might be interest in a DXT-like compression scheme for HDR data. There's no consensus that that's neccesary though, because you can achieve decent HDR compression with existing formats and a couple of math instructions. In DX10 there's also the RGB9E5 and R11G11B10_FLOAT, with the latter being available as render target as well, which may be good enough for most cases.

what i like is never popular, and often never made.

And doesn't make much sense, either. Basically you are saying you want to go back to the inefficiencies of yester-hardware. Oooo goody. What you suggest be thrown away is what makes it possible to make current and future games. Your ideas wouldn't improve quality, they would reduce it and performance.

I think 3DO scarred you for life. ;) A low-end 486 can run Doom better than 3DO. Uhg.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versions_and_ports_of_Doom#3DO_Interactive_Multiplayer
"Many fans consider this one of, if not the worst console port of DOOM.. Its updated soundtrack, which features remixed and original music, is considered its one redeeming feature.." lol

Further more, for a rendering, it looks like both ok for you traverse the pixel in the triangle or traverse the texture and map them to the screen space. Intuitively, looks like the former is the natural one. Is it right?

No. The great thing about DXTC is that it's trivial to decode, encoding it (with good quality) is much more difficult.

Back