Unreal Tournament III Discussion *renamed*

Got my copy. Haven't actually played yet. Trying to get some info on setting up the PC dedicated server to serve PS3 players. Its supposed to work but of course it seems to be top secret on how to do it.

I did look at the game though. Doesn't look like there is any anti aliasing going on. Sigh.

Edit: Looks like the PC dedicated server files will not run a PS3 game. http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=591827

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't preorder. Now I can't find the game in my neighbourhood EB and Gamestop. Guess I'll have to hunt further after work.

The game is pretty good. KB/M works great as long as you turn mouse smoothing off. My few complaints is. 1. I can't run a dedicated server from my PC for the PS3 as I had read. 2. No AA. 3. All the players so far look exactly the same in MP. I have no idea if this is to reduce server load, or maybe the players them selves have not defined there players, or if maybe this is a listen server issue only. So far the PS3 doesn't seem to blink though while running a lilsten server with 8 players.

I thought they said you could run the PS3 as a dedicated server for the PC? Or did they say both ways?

All they said was you could run a dedicated server on the PC for the PS3, which turns out you can not as of right now.

Can those of you with the game give a few details about two things for me please?
1) What's the single player/solo game like?
2) How busy are the servers? Is it easy to pop straight in to a game?

Cheers

Single player. That's actually pretty funny. Singly player is really just a story that dumps you into single player bot matches. Yes there is a story but you might as well just load up a few (Lan) games with bots of whatever you want to play the most online. Don't look for anything long & in depth. Least so far as I am in the single player. Which is 4 or 5 MP bot matches.

Servers? Servers I haven't really tried. I got the game around noon eastern time 12/11/07 (release day was 12/11/07) & my first look was maybe around 1pm. There wasn't many servers but I looked again around 9pm & there were easily 3 times as many as before with just (Deathmatch) as the filter. I ran my game as a server a few times allowing 8 players & it would fill up very fast. So plenty of players & so far plenty of KB/M player/servers as well.

Can those of you with the game give a few details about two things for me please?
1) What's the single player/solo game like?
2) How busy are the servers? Is it easy to pop straight in to a game?

Cheers

1. Crap. It's basically UT3 online with bots. Story is laugably weak so far with cutscenes here and there.
2. Busy enough for you to for find more then enough games to join. It's easy to get into a game most of the time without "connection time outs".

On other notes, there seems to be a bit of madness at the Epic forums where people are complaining about the lack of split screen support since they believe Epic had confirm it was going to be included from the beginning.

Some things that I and some others have tested out.
1. DS3 controllers with rumble works.
2. K/m is just as good as the PC and you'll feel right at home with it.
3. Mic talk is done by pressing right on the d-pad. It's not open end like Halo 3 is.
4. No split screen whatsoever. However they do have campagin co-op via lan and network.

You will see in the server browser if a server will allow KB/M. If you have a decent amount of upload then you can easily run your own server. I have 5mb upload & ran 8 players in Deathmatch which I thought most of the maps were to small even for 8.

All KB/M servers allow controllers to join. Only controller servers block out KB/M players.

You have three options. Play with k/m users with gamepad, k/m users only, and gamepad only.
I do not think there is a way for the KB/M servers to block out controller players. Least when I ran my servers I didn't see a KB/M option only.

Besides. Why on earth would you want to block out easy prey? I say kill them till they realize controllers suck.

So why aren't Sony selling the hell out of this? They certainly don't have Microsoft's hunger do they - I would've liked to have seen similar marketing to Gears. Oh well.

I do not think there is a way for the KB/M servers to block out controller players. Least when I ran my servers I didn't see a KB/M option only.

Besides. Why on earth would you want to block out easy prey? I say kill them till they realize controllers suck.

Oops. Your right. My bad.

What's that? I have no Mercy for controllers on FPS games. Its painful that I have to adjust to a controller knowing full well a KB/M is the proper way to play FPS games. Hopefully UT3 for the PS3 will start a trend.

What's that? I have no Mercy for controllers on FPS games. Its painful that I have to adjust to a controller knowing full well a KB/M is the proper way to play FPS games. Hopefully UT3 for the PS3 will start a trend.

As much as I applaud freedom of choice, the likelyhood that the majority of UT3 players will be using KB/M is discouraging for me as a controller-only player. It's not that I don't have a KB/M (I do), but as I like to spend my gaming in the living room in a comfortable environment, a KB/M setup is not an option. I'd rather just play with a controller against other players with a more or less even playing field. If there are enough gamers that think alike, I might buy, but not before.

Yes, you controller players constantly feel the need to explain or justify why you want controllers only. There is nothing wrong with you playing your console games with a controller if that's what you prefer to do. At the same token there shouldn't be anything wrong with me & anyone else using a KB/M if that's what we prefer to do as well. As far as the "even playing field" goes. KB/M vs KB/M is a even playing field when using the PS3 I would guess. As far as I know you can't install mouse drivers (maybe you can but I do not know) so if you are concerned about varying degrees of DPI I honestly do not think say a 800 dpi to 2000 dpi mouse will have much difference in "advantage" on the PS3. You can't map buttons to the mouse & I don't think you can even remap the keyboard buttons. If someone happens to have a ball mouse with USB cable, well then I guess they are at a disadvantage but that disadvantage isn't just within the game if you know what I mean.

Anyway, this is a dead horse issue imo. As much as these next gen consoles cost I should be able to play my games that I pay for with my preferred input device.

As far as UT3 goes Phil. You can join controller only servers which there are plenty of, or (gasp) make your own. Everyone is happy as it should be.

Back