So, do we know anything about RV670 yet?

Your right that is a computer generated image. Which most vendors would do. As far as it being an actual image. I honestly didnt look that closely at it. Seems I'm not the only one. The actual comparison looks out of place to me though. Which is why I thought itd likely be a sticker.

But in any event, I dont think I ever argued it was not marketing material. Percentage graphs are always marketing to me. Just that the said image might not be representive of what you'd see in the retail box. And will obviously be adjustable in the future even if it were.

Real boxes have ways to open them and less than perfect corners.

I'd have to say those are pretty imperfect corners considering the aliasing on them. ;p

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the sake of saying it, who even threw those numbers to Leadtek? Last time I checked Leadtek (nor Foxconn which Leadtek is part of I think? or at least heard Leadtek cards are made by Foxconn) didn't do Radeons at all?

Just for the sake of saying it, who even threw those numbers to Leadtek? Last time I checked Leadtek (nor Foxconn which Leadtek is part of I think? or at least heard Leadtek cards are made by Foxconn) didn't do Radeons at all?

Foxconn does manufacture Radeon Cards, although i don't know if they have done anything above the R580 core.
OEM contracts are cryptic. ;)

I hope we aren't seeing ATI settling into upper-midrange performance targets because that's what OEMs want most and what OEMs want most was certainly a large concern of the old ATI but apparently is nearly mantra-like at AMD these days.

Sure, I want them to make money too, and the big bucks are in the $150-$250 range. I just want them to make money and bid for performance leadership.

Probably too high an expectation for a refresh tho.

I'd agree with your last sentence. I think they are resigned to the fact that their current architecture isn't able to go toe to toe with NVidia in the high end. I really hope that changes in the next generation, but I don't expect it to change with a refresh. I do hope there are clear signs that the issues with AA performance are being addressed in this refresh.

I would be very surprised if ATI/Nvidia had no idea what each other were up too at this point. Not that I'm saying take the graphs at face value. Just that they do pay attention.

Show me a vendor that doesnt have a photo of its box. /eyeroll. The above screenshot clearly shows that it doesnt have to be on their retail box.

These images are generated in Photoshop and taken directly from the rendering of what is/was-intended-to-be-at-some-stage-in-the-lifetime going to the printers to generate the boxes.

DirectX_10.1_Global_Illumination_AMD_Ping_Pong_01.jpg

Link

Looks like AMD number1 PR spot is for dx10.1 :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, yeah, I'm left wondering how that DX10.1 global illumination compares to DX9 global illumination. :smile:

And why not...?

Remember the SM3.0 crap from NVIDIA with NV40 back in 2004? I expect nothing less from AMD with DX10.1.

Yeah, but this time there are actually DX10 games on the market, while DX10.1 software is still nowhere to be found (nor is it still available from Microsoft).
If general performance doesn't keep up with the 8800 GT, i doubt many of those who buy midrange parts (200 $US or higher) this holiday season would be unaware of the key speed enhancements and not just check box features.

Yeah, but this time there are actually DX10 games on the market, while DX10.1 software is still nowhere to be found (nor is it still available from Microsoft).
If general performance doesn't keep up with the 8800 GT, i doubt many of those who buy midrange parts (200 $US or higher) this holiday season would be unaware of the key speed enhancements and not just check box features.
Dont worry, I'm sure AMD will find some lone game dev to come up with a patch. :LOL:

And back then SM2.0 games were actually on the market, while SM3.0 was (pretty much) nowhere to be found

Reading the white papers, I could see some things being locked in to the API and up to devloper support to unlock these featues via using the API. But their are other things that I see that are simply there to meet spec, and I don't see why they would be locked from use from any other API.

This silence is really a customer "killer", i not understand AMD.
There is no "silence" that is "killing" any customers.

"The one potential fly in the ointment for the 8800 GT is its upcoming competition from AMD. As we were preparing this review, the folks from AMD contacted us to let us know that the RV670 GPU is coming soon, and that they expect it to bring big increases in performance and power efficiency along with it. In fact, the AMD folks sound downright confident they'll have the best offering at this price point when the dust settles, and they point to several firsts they'll be offering as evidence."

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13479/8

Percieving lack of noise or its presence, so prematurely is a waste of time and energy.

There is no "silence" that is "killing" any customers.

"The one potential fly in the ointment for the 8800 GT is its upcoming competition from AMD. As we were preparing this review, the folks from AMD contacted us to let us know that the RV670 GPU is coming soon, and that they expect it to bring big increases in performance and power efficiency along with it. In fact, the AMD folks sound downright confident they'll have the best offering at this price point when the dust settles, and they point to several firsts they'll be offering as evidence."

http://techreport.com/articles.x/13479/8

Percieving lack of noise or its presence, so prematurely is a waste of time and energy.

Some words about rv670 in a 8800gt review is not enough, easier things can generate much more hype. (i not mean the IHV's own test slides what is always full with BS).

Back